yet another newbie

nettyunicorn

hello everyone,
im netty ,42 from devon uk. i have a multitude of health problems, ranging from high blood pressure to severe depression i suffer with many symptoms including chronic wide spread pain and a back issue that prevents me from walking far or standing for long.
i visited my GP about 2 weeks ago with some symptoms one being very thirsty the other frequent urination. Without testing a sample i was immediately given a script for antibiotics but when i handed her a sample she did test it and found high sugar levels no sign of infection! She sent me away to get a blood test(not fasting although i had only had jam on wholemeal bread bout 1hr before) and even said i could still have antibiotics if i wanted them! I said no, not if it is not infection. Any way test came back 24hrs later and confirmed i have diabetes. I dont know what type but persume its type 2. I see the nurse on tue,
My worry is that in nov i had a fasting blood test done and it was low borderline and was just told to retest in about 3 months now its definate. i do have some numbness in my hands and feet especially one of my big toes but just put it down to my other problems. I have now developed dizziness that is like being on a merry-go-round when i move my head. Im so confused and worried, i dont want anything else going wrong!

Thanks

Nettyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mbudzi

Hi there, I'm not a Dr but I understand that symptoms of thirst and urination are usually Type 1. The dizzy head u describe is exactly what tipped me over into seeing a GP and getting diagnosed and put on Insulin that day. It's a lot to take in, when you get the diagnosis but the insulin will start to ease some of your symptoms and help you control it , rather than the other way round.

When you see the nurse, take a notebook and a reliable friend who can help remember what you need to do Cos it feels complicated and hard to process. Push for clarity on which type you are and how they have come to that conclusion. It makes a difference in terms of your treatment. Don't leave the appointment until you are clear what you need to do in terms of your meds and you know who to ring for help in the coming weeks as you find your routine and get to grips with things. (this is the benefit of not doing these things and having to unravel the mess afterwards )

I was diagnosed in August. I read guys on here saying that it becomes second nature and thought they must mean other strong silent types. But it's true. Day by day it gets easier. Bit by bit you become yourself again.

Stay on the forum. There are lots of good souls to pick you up and brush you off on the bad days and great resources and people who go thru things slowly when the jargon and options feel overwhelming.

Take care and hope it goes well with the nurse.

Grazer

Only way is when you see the doc. (telling type of diabetes) don't worry about it - the symptoms are equally relevant to type 1 and 2 - what you describe us just high blood sugar which 1s and 2s both have

mbudzi

There are specific tests that can be done but I'm not certain of their names.... Think it is a GAD test that checks for antibodies but I'm not sure if it is wholly conclusive.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
nettyunicorn said:
is there a way to definately tell what type of diabetes you have?

I'm sure Daisy will post a load of info for you soon but in the meantime...

The symptoms of frequent urination and thirst are equally applicable to a Type 2 person as I got them both. They are more indicators of high blood sugars than type.

I am not a health care professional but am Type 2 with a Type 1 son. If you are in anyway confused or concerned you need to ask your gp to explain things better and as mbudzi says go along with someone you can rely on to listen and support you if you think that will help. Specifically ask your gp if he thinks you are Type 1 or Type 2 and why.

There is a test that will determine Type. It is called a c-peptide test.

Your gp should have tested your urine for things called ketone's. If you had ketone's in your urine, had very high blood sugar readings and have had other symptoms such as rapidly losing weight in recent weeks he should take these as possible indicators for Type 1 and then confirm it with a c-peptide test

If (sorry to be blunt) you are an overweight adult and did not have ketone's in your urine and have not lost loads of weight recently but still had high blood sugars then it is more likely but not entirely certain you are Type 2. In this later case you may have to fight to get a c-peptide test done as first your gp will likely want to see how you respond if you change your diet to something suitable for either a Type 1 or Type 2 person.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Netty and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information which xyzzy was referring to earlier. It was written for new members and will help you regardless of which type you turn out to be. Ask as many questions as you need to, as at the beginning there will be many, and someone will be here to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

nettyunicorn

Thank you everyone, im so glad i found this site. Thank you for the info i will read and digest as much as i can in prep for my appointment tomorrow!
I understand that the thirst and frequent urination are signs of high bs but can the vertigo be a symptom too. Im not sure i can really believe that its not connect somehow!

All the best and hope you all have a good day.

Nettyxxxxxxxxxxxx

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey Netty

The honest answer is maybe. Regardless of what type you end up diagnosed as having high blood sugars at the moment can cause a wide range of symptoms. Again I'd mention it to your GP tomorrow. Everyone on the forum has gone through what you're finding out now so we all know it can be very confusing and stressful especially if you're not feeling well at the same time.

Good luck and let us all know how you got on and ask as many questions as you want either before you go tomorrow or when you get back.

Helenababe

Welcome to the forum 'Netty'. :)

Let's hope you soon get some definate answers, so you know where you stand, so you can deal with your diabetes.

Helena

nettyunicorn

hi all just to let you know i had my first visit to diabetes nurse today! my hbwatzit was 7.3 and they are gonna treat with diet for now! no self testing. i go back in 2 weeks time as nothing was really done and because im still suffering this vertigo thing which seems to be labyrinthitis an inner ear problem so im told by gp! a viral infection by all accounts causes it and i do have a raised temperature so it fits.

thank you all for your replies

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hey Netty

I am now CERTAIN that other people will come on this thread and give you the same advice as I'm about to (pretty please) :)

If you can afford it I'd TOTALLY IGNORE the no testing advice. How else are you going to find out what you can and can't eat safely? How else are you going to show your nurse or gp how WELL you are doing for yourself?

They don't want you to test because it costs them money. If you press them they'll admit it. Nearly every Type 2 gets told it nowadays as far as I can tell and even me with my big mouth can't persuade my gp otherwise!

The N.I.C.E guidelines state that they should offer any Type 2 test strips on prescription if you show them that you understand why you're testing and are using the testing results to make yourself better. Trouble is the guidelines that gp's are recommended to use are just that - guidelines - and can be ignored by a gp.

You can pick up an SD CODE FREE meter off eBay with an initial 60 test strips for under £20. Strips are then £4.99 per 50. If you do decide to order one of the SD meters make sure you order the mmol/L UK model or you'll have to learn American.

Good luck and keep posting questions

nettyunicorn

im on benefits so money is really tight but i will try to save for one. is it easy to test as im sure i wont be shown how to use one by my medical team! i am gonna ask for a training course next time i see nurse and see what her response is! i kinda get the feeling that all anyone is seeing is a fat person who brought this on themselves.
i wonder if anyone can advise me on some exercise as i cant stand or walk far due to a chronic back problem!

thanks for replies!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grazer

Hi! First of all, your Hbwotsit wasn't bad at all, and although you're diabetic, you would seem to have caught it early. That means that with good management, you can do lots to minimise it's effects and implications. However, that requires you to TEST! (+1 xyzzy!) Testing is very easy. You don't need training - takes a minute to show someone what to do, but even without that, the leaflet in the testing meter tells you. By testing, you will be able to see exactly what you can and can't eat. Don't let the doctor or nurse say "we can tell you what to eat", because first of all they can't, and secondly it varies from diabetic to diabetic. Follow Daisy's dietary advice, then test 2 hours after eating. Some say test before as well, others do morning fasting tests, but if you have limited supplies of testing strips (which cost money) then testing after eating is the best way to see what affects you. If you're BG (blood sugar reading) is above 7.8 at that stage, you need to eat less of the starchy carbohydrates you had in that meal.
Tell your doctor you WILL succeed on diet alone and save himn the cost of future medicines and treatments, but you MUST be allowed to TEST. Give him a bad time. My lot backed down.
Good luck!