Yet another newly diagnosed type 2, saying hello!

Vidar

Hi Guys,

I was diagnosed type 2 last Thursday and prescribed 500mg Metformin three times a day. I had a score of 56.

I'm not surprised I've become diabetic, I've had a rough 12 months. I was savagely attacked at work on fathers day last year, my leg broken in 12 places and now held together with 18 pins and 2 plates. Surgery had complications and I was in hospital for over 4 months, rehab for a further month.

I've gained a lot of weight over the last last year and am still pretty immobile due to the leg, its just not healed right.

I know I've only recently become diabetic as I was tested 6 months ago and was normal. I was only tested again as I have changed gp's.

I'm pretty lucky in that I have a future step father in law who is type 2 diabetic and has recently started the Newcastle diet. He's given me a lot of support already.

While I can't afford meal replacement shakes etc, I've thrown myself into a lchf diet and already in the past week I've lost 10lbs.

I feel like absolute rubbish though. I'm constantly tired with headaches and yeah generally just feel ill. I'm hoping this passes though as I've read up on the keto flu.

Question is how do you cope with this diet when you don't like eating veg?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Simple.. don't eat them..
I eat mostly meat, fish, eggs, cheese.
Cream in coffee, lactofree milk in tea.
90% of the time that's it.
If you are suffering from keto flu it's likely you are running low on salt. I add a pinch to my coffee(with cream). Because you have probably ditched processed foods your salt intake my be low so add some to all food and see how you go.

Oops edit to add hello and welcome..

Reactions: Prem51
M

Member496333

Don’t eat veg :)

There’s quite a few guys n gals here who follow a predominantly carnivorous diet, myself now included. It works well for a lot of people but organ meats are recommended to ensure you’re getting a full array of vitamins and minerals. The fat/protein ratio varies a lot. Personally I lean more toward fat, but as long as everything comes from animal sources I’m happy :)

Good luck, and wishing you a full recovery from what sounds like a very arduous year for you!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys,

I feel like absolute rubbish though. I'm constantly tired with headaches and yeah generally just feel ill. I'm hoping this passes though as I've read up on the keto flu.

The flu like symptoms are temporary, but can be abated by drinking bone broth or something rich in electrolytes, like coconut milk. You're probably slightly dehydrated and need some salts and extra water. Those first pounds fly off because they're mainly water weight, and with the water, your salt/electrolytes get urinated out too. Hence the aches. As for the not-a-fan-of-veggies, they're just one part of the diet... There's still meat, fish and poultry, nuts, eggs, cheese, cream, full fat greek yoghurt, berries (in moderation, but if you miss fruit, those are the go-to's), that sort of thing... There are people on the board who go the carnivore route, they only eat meat, and are practically zero carb a day eaters. This diet is easier to do without veggies than it is to do it without meat, truth be told. As for your father-in-law, he'll probably have to go the low carb route when the Newcastle diet is done, as it's not meant to be used long-term, just to kick start weightloss and normalise bloodsugars. But after that he too will have to do what you're currently doing to maintain the improvements he's getting with the shakes now. Quite a few people don't bother with the shakes because they're carbier per shake than what a lot of us use in a day. To while it is a good starting point, it's not something to keep up for decades. LCHF is.

You're off to a flying start. You'll be fine. And maybe this'll help: Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code, www.dietdoctor.com and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

I do hope your leg's alright now... Though it won't have helped matters, it is also more than possible that the stress and trauma of the attack and complications after contributed to the T2 developing almost overnight. That's not a small thing right there. I don't know how you're sleeping, but if you're having trouble there, try CBD oil. I've been an insomniac all my life, but that stuff helped me get into a normal sleeping pattern. (Though it is a derivative of cannabis, there are no hallucinogenic components, so it's not a drug or anything. My 67 year old mum uses it too, and for me it also helps with panic atacks and rheumatic pain, where conventional drugs did ziltsch on both counts.). Just checking, because sleep for a T2 is very important. If that's messed up, sugars are hard to control too.

Anyway, good luck to you, and welcome. If you've got more questions, ask. There's always a bunch of people here with a variety of answers, one of which is bound to suit you. :)
Jo

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome @Vidar

You have been given some great advice already so just tagging in @Daisy 1 for her useful info too.

Well done on the weight loss. A brilliant start. You've had a very tough time.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome @Vidar

You have been given some great advice already so just tagging in @Daisy 1 for her useful info too.

Well done on the weight loss. A brilliant start. You've had a very tough time.
Daisy has retired from her posting the useful info post but it can be found in any mods signature. Click on the link entitled “Newly Diagnosed: what you should know”.

Vidar

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and information, I will be sure to check out the links.

Also wasn't aware of the Greek yogurt or the berries in small amounts. I love strawberries in particular and have been craving something sweet all week.

Just hope I can find a good recipe for salt and pepper chicken now that's safe for me to have as can't see me giving that up permanently lol.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you guys for the warm welcome and information, I will be sure to check out the links.

Also wasn't aware of the Greek yogurt or the berries in small amounts. I love strawberries in particular and have been craving something sweet all week.

Just hope I can find a good recipe for salt and pepper chicken now that's safe for me to have as can't see me giving that up permanently lol.
Any of your favourite meals just Google for example “low carb salt and pepper chicken” and you’ll get suggestions. I just did that and got this:
https://www.wholekitchensink.com/salt-and-pepper-chicken-wings/

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. With a bit of luck the LCHF diet will continue to bring your weight and BS down. It may also help healing as excess sugar in the blood can aid infection. Metformin occasionally causes stomach upset etc which typically fades after a week or two. If you have any issues like that do ask the GP to change you to metformin SR (Slow Release) which is kinder but does costa little bit more

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hi hi and welcome @Vidar

Just wanted to say that you're in good hands here and there are so many recipes out there for things you love and heck salt and pepper chicken is probably one of the safer foods! On LCHF it's truly lovely to be able to indulge in the things that you didn't think you could have before plus it gives way to weight loss due to not eating as much and feeling fuller for longer. Once the low carb flu passes you will feel smashing again and I wish you a speedy recovery for that matter, I am so sorry to hear about the leg having so many issues for you.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome!

Sounds like you’ve got this, congratulations.

It may not be keto flu, it may be your sugars dropping, if they were high and now lower your body can take time to adapt and metformin can make you feel horrid too. Do you test? What sort of things do you eat?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Vidar and welcome

Sounds like you’re making great progress. Agree with the advice to add salt to your diet to help with the keto flu. It’s worth persevering as once you’re through that you’ll likely start feeling so much better and have lots more energy.

There’s a bunch of us on here eating very limited or no vegetables - feel free to ask for meal suggestions or general advice.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daisy has retired from her posting the useful info post but it can be found in any mods signature. Click on the link entitled “Newly Diagnosed: what you should know”.
I haven't been on the forum as much as I would have liked of late. Missing so much! Thanks @Rachox

Reactions: Rachox and Prem51

Vidar

Again thanks for all the advice guys.

I got to meet my diabetic nurse yesterday, nice lady

Vidar

Sorry accidentally hit send there...

Nice lady but didn't really tell me much I wasn't already aware of. She did reduce my meds telling me to skip my lunch time Metformin and I felt so much better in myself yesterday.

She does want to keep an eye an eye on my blood pressure though, as it was really low while I was in hospital.

Its interesting to see how quickly i went from the normal range to diabetic within 6 months. I'm wondering if its related to my change to drinking diet cokes etc from full fat as it was aroundvthen I swapped over to help shed some weight.