Ypso pump help for my t1 warrior

My DD was diagnosed October 2020 after going into severe DKA and shock she is only 3 and has been put onto the ypso pump with a dexcom. I am absolutely hated the ypso pump but the dsn and consultant really pushed for her to be in it as they told me it was the best one for her and no many options for her age group. She was originally put on the soft orbit cannulas and we were having cannula and tuning fails constantly not one cannula lasted the three days and some didn't last the day they were changed. We recently changed to the steel cannulas and whilst theyve been 'better' we had a box of cannulas with occlusion whilst prepping the tubing and just random blocked cannulas with no warning which when taken out weren't bent or damanged but when we connected it back to its tubing and ran insulin through nothing was coming out she is a small 3 year old with no much fat on her and wears her cannula on her stomach and I'm reluctant with putting it anywhere else. When we were doing MDI she was beautifully in range and now on the pump hardly in range at all maybe over a few days if we have a lucky cannula! Has anyone had the same issues with ypso because I'm really considering going back onto MDI as it seems more hassle than it's worse really and feeling down about it spoke to dsn about it but was made to feel really bad about the possibility of giving the pump back. If anyone has any advice or help it would be really appreciated thank you.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I struggle with cannulas. I’m more successful with angled cannulas that I push in by hand. They might look a little intimidating, but my success rate is better. The shortest one available is 13mm, but it goes in at an angle so it lays between the skin layers.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can’t comment on the Ypso personally but I’ve heard loads of bad reviews about it. I did my training on the Medtronic 780g on the 7th of January & one of the men in my group had been using the Ypso for only 6 month when our DSN pulled him off it & onto the 780G. He absolutely hated it & said it was the worst thing he had ever used. His main complaint was the cannulas as well like yourself..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Add your son's age to the title and post in the parent's forum? There are folk with under 2s who occasionally post there...

I think your issue is your child's size and age rather than necessarily the particular pump, so advice from others with young children is the way to go...

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi, I am new to omnipod dash pump, it is tubeless & the PDM works via Bluetooth. I have saw youtube videos & adverts for the omnipod dash being used by tiny tots. You may want to explore this & take it up with your daughters hospital.