Ypsomed 45deg infusion set (Silhouette)

pumpypso

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been a Ypsomed pump user for a while and have always had problems with the Orbit 90deg infusion sets. I have a low amount of body fat and find the 90deg sites painful and occasionally get blockages. Prior to the Ypsomed I've used 45deg Silhouette sites and found them great with no pain or occlusions. It seems most manufacturers make a copy of the 45deg design except for Ypsomed and they use a proprietary reservoir connection to prevent use of any other manufacturers products.

Fed up, I decided to make my own. I got a Ypsomed line and chopped the end off. I then got a Minimed Silhouette line and carefully heated up the connection point between the line and the infusion site quick connect. If done properly it exposes a small metal needle which the Ypsomed line can be slid onto, I then applied a small drop of superglue to hold it in place.

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

I've been using this system for a couple of months and have had no problems. I reuse the modified line many times so I don't have to keep making them, probably 10-20 times.

Hopefully this helps anyone in my situation.

Anyone trying this modification will do so at their own risk and I am simply letting people know it is possible.