Type 2 Zero Alchohol drinks for Type 2 taking Gliclazide

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I have been diagnosed type 2 since February 2016, and managed to get & keep my HbA1c to between 43 to 48 from an original diagnosis level of 90. However, I can no longer drink any alcohol and have been searching the forums and the shop shelves for low carb drinks that I can enjoy.
A great many of the drinks seem to end up being around 8g for a 250 ml portion, therefore a pint equivalent is worth half the recommended 50g for a meal.
So far, the only thing that I have found is carbonated water and freshly squeezed lime juice from half a lime. As far as I can tell, that amounts to about 2g of carbs and the mixture makes about 3/4 of a pint of tasty, refreshing drink.
Non-alcoholic beers/lagers appear to be out, as they still contain small amounts of alcohol.

Thanks to many who have posted on this forum over the last couple of years, when initially diagnosed and trying to find out how it really worked, many of you were posting very useful suggestions.

Regards
D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t know exactly what your hunting for but I’ve been teetotal for years and since being Type 2 I’ve had to hunt out alternative drinks. I drink zero/diet soft drinks, Pepsi, Coke, 7Up etc.. or sugar free squashes. I also make ‘milk shakes’ from unsweetened roasted almond milk and no added sugar Crusha milkshake syrup, they are all virtually 0g carb if you avoid the chocolate one! Then there’s always black coffee which I always drank as a student and have found a renewed like for

EDIT Sorry forgetting my manners! Just noticed this is your first post! Welcome to the Forum!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always find water pretty good or coffee (with double cream) and tea (with lactofree full fat milk).

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the welcome Rachox :).
I realise that I forgot to say that I don't like Coke or any of it's relatives, and sugar free "sweet drinks" such as 7up are not to my taste at all. Some sugar free lemonades are OK.

I already drink black tea and coffee, but am seeking to replace beer/wine. The drink doesn't need to taste like the alcohlic drinks, but I guess I'm looking for drinks with some complexity. One thing we have found this Christmas is Ribena "Winter Spice", a limited edition low sugar drink that is 1.8g carb for a 250ml serving.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember it is the total carbs and high levels of protain that is the issue. Therefore if you can remove more carbs from your meals and limit your protain intake, you may gain freedom on what you can drink.

You may also find that if you did a VLC diet like the Newcastle Diet, or the 8 Week blood suger diet, going back onto low carb once completed, that you remove enough fat from your liver to allow more freedom.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the welcome Rachox :).
I realise that I forgot to say that I don't like Coke or any of it's relatives, and sugar free "sweet drinks" such as 7up are not to my taste at all. Some sugar free lemonades are OK.

I already drink black tea and coffee, but am seeking to replace beer/wine. The drink doesn't need to taste like the alcohlic drinks, but I guess I'm looking for drinks with some complexity. One thing we have found this Christmas is Ribena "Winter Spice", a limited edition low sugar drink that is 1.8g carb for a 250ml serving.
Someone else mentioned the Ribena winter spice, I like the sound of that but haven’t been able to find any :grumpy:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A beer or wine replacement with no alcohol or very few carbs??????

Nope.
I don't know any.

Is it the beer and wine TASTE your seeking?

My advice is try and lose that yearning for the taste. You definitely don't need it.
Good luck.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do drink coke Zero but only one can then I used to change to iced water this whilst playing pool with a bunch of beer swilling men getting more and more drunk. (I missed the camaraderie and pub/bar atmosphere etc. more than the alcohol.) eventually I bought some Earl Grey Teabags and got the bars to make a cup of tea with no milk and give me a half pint glass filled with ice poured hot tea over ice add Stevia if required Iced tea bearing in mind the varieties of flavoured tea bags available even if they are fruit flavours with some sugar it will get well diluted as the ice melts

Incidentally I supply the Tea Bags bar s usually don't charge me . its a win winner As for pool as others get drunker I win more and more with winner staying on the table and the challenger paying for next game it makes for a cheap evening. L.O.L.