OK, I'm a type 2 and as I understand it as I have been keto or low carb for about 6 months now I should be in fat burning mode. I lost quite a bit of weight quite rapidly in the beginning but this has now plateaued.
I have some urine test strips which test for ketones among other things and whenever I use them they show me with ketones at the top end of the range, the line marked 160(16)++++
I get this reading every single time I test. I have tested about 20 times over the 6 months at random times.
BUT I thought that ketones were supposed to disappear from urine after a few weeks as my body starts using them rather than expelling them.
My blood sugar is usually comfortably in the 6s, with some 5s. I only go higher if I eat something I shouldn't, the highest has been 12, once (cake!)
Is all this OK? Should I still be having these levels in my urine?
(I have no diabetes nurse, the position is vacant at our surgery, and sadly our gp has passed away so we are on locums who are under pressure so I don't want to trouble them with anything trivial)
Grateful for any knowledge
OK, I'm a type 2 and as I understand it as I have been keto or low carb for about 6 months now I should be in fat burning mode. I lost quite a bit of weight quite rapidly in the beginning but this has now plateaued.
I have some urine test strips which test for ketones among other things and whenever I use them they show me with ketones at the top end of the range, the line marked 160(16)++++
I get this reading every single time I test. I have tested about 20 times over the 6 months at random times.
BUT I thought that ketones were supposed to disappear from urine after a few weeks as my body starts using them rather than expelling them.
My blood sugar is usually comfortably in the 6s, with some 5s. I only go higher if I eat something I shouldn't, the highest has been 12, once (cake!)
Is all this OK? Should I still be having these levels in my urine?
(I have no diabetes nurse, the position is vacant at our surgery, and sadly our gp has passed away so we are on locums who are under pressure so I don't want to trouble them with anything trivial)
Grateful for any knowledge
Keeping my blood sugar down is the aim, the ketosis comes as a by product. I'm just worried its too high without bringing any weight loss benefits, and whether its bringing its own problems.MrsA2, for myself, I have never considered getting into or being in ketosis to be important. Provided I am keeping my blood sugar numbers in my own range, and my other health markers are decent, I plod along.
Observing on here, over time, some people appear to stop producing ketones, and others continue.
I'll tag @bulkbiker and @Goonergal in as they eat pretty much carnivorously, so could be well appraised in metabolic ketosis.
Around 6 average, some 5s some 7s. Over that only when I eat something carby 12 after a cake (once) 10 after a pub meal last week that had unexpected apple and sugar inHow are your blood sugars doing?
Around 6 average, some 5s some 7s. Over that only when I eat something carby 12 after a cake (once) 10 after a pub meal last week that had unexpected apple and sugar in
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?