Chocolate 4.6g carb in 25g bar

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guess what I found in Aldi, Dark 85% cocoa chocolate with 4.6g carbohydrate in a 25g bar (5 bars per pack). I haven't tasted it yet, I wanted to ask if it counts as an occasional, low carb treat.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will have to get some to try it out remember only in moderation may I ask how much do it sugar down to

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
dispite the sugar it is very bitter but if you sprinkle some sea salt on it it makes it taste sweet ;)

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The tesco 85% dark chocolate bar at £1.05 and 4g carb per 2 large squares and 8 squares per bar is the nicest of the lot. Squares are over 1 inch square each. .... Completely subjective of course

Last edited:

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Swiggy, in response to your original question, I think the answer is "yes, it does count as an occasional treat" . "Occasional" being the operative word. I love dark chocolate, & always preferred it to milk chocolate, even as a young child; the higher the cocoa content the better (I try to go for the 90 or 92% stuff when I can find it). My problem is restricting myself to just one of the 25g bars :hungry:

Reactions: Swiggy

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's really weird I can never eat more than two squares.

However I got some lindor dark chocolate balls for my birthday last month and it was very hard to stick to one at 4g carbs.

Jolegra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had some the other day. Did not like neither did partner. So bitter and no sweetness whatsover.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Michel Cluizel does a 99% one! Zero carbs. I'm T1 so can "cheat" by taking insulin, but I tried it anyway out of curiosity. Let's just say it's dry, but not in a good way!
download.jpg

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the Aldi chocolate a while ago and absolutely hated it: it was incredibly bitter with no real depth to the flavour.

My chocolate treat of choice is Lindt 90% (1.4g of carbs per 10g square so pretty much the same as the Aldi one) which I think tastes delicious and I find 1 square is plenty to satisfy any chocolate cravings :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no better chocolate than Lindt in my opinion!! At the holidays I can cut one truffle into about 6 pieces lol. Better than none!! I also have wafer thin dark choco covered pumpkin seeds and just bite a tiny piece off. The bag lasts forever!

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guess what I found in Aldi, Dark 85% cocoa chocolate with 4.6g carbohydrate in a 25g bar (5 bars per pack). I haven't tasted it yet, I wanted to ask if it counts as an occasional, low carb treat.
I've tried it and it's nice

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really didn't like the Aldi 85% (Moser Roth) and I love dark chocolate, I thought it was waxy tasting with no depth. The Tesco 85% stuff in the fancy packets is good and has a lovely nutty, fruity taste and so is the ASDA stuff. Green and Black's 85% is a bit more expensive but also delicious.

I can spend hours in Hotel Chocolat, they do a lot of 85%+ chocolates and I love them all!

Hmmm is it wrong that I'm now planning a trip to Hotel Chocolat in my lunch break.....after all, there might be reductions.....or free samples........droool!!!

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really didn't like the Aldi 85% (Moser Roth) and I love dark chocolate, I thought it was waxy tasting with no depth. The Tesco 85% stuff in the fancy packets is good and has a lovely nutty, fruity taste and so is the ASDA stuff. Green and Black's 85% is a bit more expensive but also delicious.

I can spend hours in Hotel Chocolat, they do a lot of 85%+ chocolates and I love them all!

Hmmm is it wrong that I'm now planning a trip to Hotel Chocolat in my lunch break.....after all, there might be reductions.....or free samples........droool!!!
Oh @1abRat I really hope that you're pulling our legs. I promise never to mention that C word again. X

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh @1abRat I really hope that you're pulling our legs. I promise never to mention that C word again. X

Ha-ha well, it is only across the road from my lab! I can almost see the shop! Definitely worth a lunchtime constitutional, you know, to get the insulin going after my lunch....cough...

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha-ha well, it is only across the road from my lab! I can almost see the shop! Definitely worth a lunchtime constitutional, you know, to get the insulin going after my lunch....cough...
I feel guilty now for tempting you. I don't eat much chocolate, I really dislike the gooey feeling you get in your mouth from milk chocolate. I only put the post on because I have had so much help and advice from forum members since joining in January I wanted to share something nice. If you do decide to pay a visit take a long detour to get the exercise in ha ha. X

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel guilty now for tempting you. I don't eat much chocolate, I really dislike the gooey feeling you get in your mouth from milk chocolate. I only put the post on because I have had so much help and advice from forum members since joining in January I wanted to share something nice. If you do decide to pay a visit take a long detour to get the exercise in ha ha.

Oh no worries here. I eat a small bit of chocolate every day, I also average 20,000 steps a day, cycle four days a week, have a BMI of 20.8 and a HbA1c of 5.4% and eat around 10-12 fruit/veg a day (mainly veg).

Chocolate can be part of a healthy, balanced diet I promise! All things in moderation as they say!

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no worries here. I eat a small bit of chocolate every day, I also average 20,000 steps a day, cycle four days a week, have a BMI of 20.8 and a HbA1c of 5.4% and eat around 10-12 fruit/veg a day (mainly veg).

Chocolate can be part of a healthy, balanced diet I promise! All things in moderation as they say!
@1abRat you are an inspiration. I have been wearing a fitbit and struggle to clock 10,000 steps a day. Keep up the good work. X