Newly Diagnosed Type 1

D

Deleted member 391597

@TheBigNewt I did a lot of research on this last year while I had gestational diabetes so I knew it wasn't impossible but swept my fears under the carpet once the consultant laughed and said I wouldn't get Type 1 at my age...how wrong! Also, I saw a consultant very quickly while I was pregnant but this time I've got to wait for a letter with an appointment. I was discharged from hospital on the Monday, set up with an appointment to see the diabetic nurse in my local hospital the next day and that's been it. I even had to ask for a perscription for more testing strips, insulin etc as I didn't have many supplies left after being pregnant. Luckily I didn't throw them away!

Reactions: himtoo

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TheBigNewt I did a lot of research on this last year while I had gestational diabetes so I knew it wasn't impossible but swept my fears under the carpet once the consultant laughed and said I wouldn't get Type 1 at my age...how wrong! Also, I saw a consultant very quickly while I was pregnant but this time I've got to wait for a letter with an appointment. I was discharged from hospital on the Monday, set up with an appointment to see the diabetic nurse in my local hospital the next day and that's been it. I even had to ask for a perscription for more testing strips, insulin etc as I didn't have many supplies left after being pregnant. Luckily I didn't throw them away!
Maybe there would be no harm in telephoning your diabetes nurse and saying,, "How soon do you think I will get an appointment to see the diabetes consultant?"

D

Deleted member 391597

Maybe there would be no harm in telephoning your diabetes nurse and saying,, "How soon do you think I will get an appointment to see the diabetes consultant?"

I did do this. She said she has made the referral but it can take a few weeks! :-(

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did do this. She said she has made the referral but it can take a few weeks! :-(

I wouldn't worry about this @Hollieo4 personally (as long as you get your appointment in a reasonable timescale). It was a few months before I saw my consultant after diagnosis and on reflection I think it gave me time to take things in and I could ask questions I probably wouldn't have thought of earlier on.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't worry about this @Hollieo4 personally (as long as you get your appointment in a reasonable timescale). It was a few months before I saw my consultant after diagnosis and on reflection I think it gave me time to take things in and I could ask questions I probably wouldn't have thought of earlier on.
Agree with this. I'm seeing my consultant for the first time tomorrow, over 6 weeks since I was diagnosed. I've seen the DSN and dietician in the interim, and GP a couple of times for prescriptions/fit notes/flu jabs in meantime and they were happy to safety net if I heard nothing from the hospital. I now have more focused questions for him, rather than *everything*! Good luck to you, I'm sure it will work our just fine. K x