Medtronic guardian 4

SandieD

I have been on closed loop system for a while now. Guardian4 sensor snd 780g pump.
Made a huge difference however lately sensor stops working and says updating which can take up to 3hrs. Invariably it eventually tells me to replace sensor.
Last week it was after 4 days of use today after 6 days.
Anyone else had this problem?
Medtronic do replace but I have had to do this about 4 times now. I wear on my abdomen.

kcurrie

Not had those issues yet. Bear in mind it's a hybrid closed loop system. Using smartgaurd we have minimal input from my experience letting the 780g do the hard work keeps it happy I have a friend who can't sit on his hands and keeps trying to over rule the pump and he has similar issues

triptych

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same issues here @SandieD . Haven't had one last 7 days yet, 4 days, 5 days or occasionally 6. Not sure why, no warning, no overruling, just konks out suddenly (after the sensor updating death spiral..).

Sezza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If im honest we are at our wits end with the guardian 4 this week, its not lasted longer than 24 hours, Medtronic thought a dodgy batch so sent a new one, then this made no difference so a new transmitter still no difference, It just losing signal and then sensor updating and then finished replace sensor. We rally have no idea and neither do they, we are applying the same as we have been doing as well.

triptych

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear @Sezza - mine has actually really settled now, and get 6 to 7 days on each with no wobbles to speak of... Fingers crossed yours settles!

eric6331

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I continue to experience the same issues. Was told probably a bad box... but just the one box even though all 3 are from the same lot.

Just put a new one in a few hours ago and it is reading 4.1 but my blood glucose reading is 9.1. Obviously a calibration won't be accepted so I imagine the updating spiral will soon commence and I'll have to put in my third sensor in 2 days.

MoonCloudy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
same here then I got frustrated and went to using Libre for 3 months to figure what my Hb1Ac would be look like and it turned out no big difference compared to Guardian 3.
The reason is also because I have the G3 sensor insertion "Phobia", it freaks me out everytime.

ssmwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the Guardian Sensor 3 for over a year now and recently moved to the Guardian Sensor 4. With the 3's, they started off really well - I had no issues, but then after perhaps 6 months, the lifespan of the sensors seemed to drop off and I'd be lucky to get 7 days. My 1st Sensor 4 has gone into, "Sensor updating" mode after just 4 days - nor a good omen... Now, I don't want to kick off any conspiracy theories but is it possible that Medttonic have deliberately reduced the quality/lifespan of the sensors so as to ensure people can't extend the life of the sensor beyond 7 days? Anyway, I'll see how the next few sensors go but am not confident.

Regards,

Stuart (Australia)

MoonCloudy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using the Guardian Sensor 3 for over a year now and recently moved to the Guardian Sensor 4. With the 3's, they started off really well - I had no issues, but then after perhaps 6 months, the lifespan of the sensors seemed to drop off and I'd be lucky to get 7 days. My 1st Sensor 4 has gone into, "Sensor updating" mode after just 4 days - nor a good omen... Now, I don't want to kick off any conspiracy theories but is it possible that Medttonic have deliberately reduced the quality/lifespan of the sensors so as to ensure people can't extend the life of the sensor beyond 7 days? Anyway, I'll see how the next few sensors go but am not confident.

Regards,

Stuart (Australia)
Hi Stuart,
yeah, sounds familiar with Guardian sensors
Maybe you could take this "unpleasant" opportunity to try something else, like I did

stickykaren

I have been on closed loop system for a while now. Guardian4 sensor snd 780g pump.
Made a huge difference however lately sensor stops working and says updating which can take up to 3hrs. Invariably it eventually tells me to replace sensor.
Last week it was after 4 days of use today after 6 days.
Anyone else had this problem?
Medtronic do replace but I have had to do this about 4 times now. I wear on my abdomen.
Went on Guardian 4 yesterday first time using CGM. Thinking big mistake already. First sensor lasted 3 hrs got numerous high glucose warning do blood test then calibrate. Kept failing telephoned Medtronic UK told sorry faulty Sensor replace with new one replacement would be posted out. 2nd Sensor lasted 4hrs. Telephoned back at 11pm and was told the entire batch faulty. Use new sensor out another box. I don't have another only got 1x box 5 guardian 4 in starter kit so had to use a 3rd out the box. BINGO. replaced at 11.30pm. GOT ALLERT 00.14am. REPLACE SENSOR ITS FAULTY. Sensor not able to be connected. Telephoned this morning Medtronic UK to be told the same faulty batch they have so many and I have to wait because Guardian 4 sensors are in high demand. Like I said probably because they are all faulty. Will go back to Libra 2 until I receive replacements.

MoonCloudy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If Guardian sensor keep having this kind of issues, you probably need to switch to something else because you end up with anxiety, being stressed, worrying about how the Guardian is doing this time for you. Its so depressing and saddening once you noticed your so called " life depending CGM" is not working as it should be.
Dexcom G7 and Libre 3 are likely more accurate and reliable.
For now, Simplera is about to come out which is only talking to the Inpen, unfortunately not to the 780G
So, Im using Dexcom G7 for the time being and awaiting for the Instinct CGM which is also replacing the terrible Guardian sensors.

Buddy3112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What should I do if the updating message is on and off it updates but not for long enough to exit smart guard but in less than an hour it's updating again

MoonCloudy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me... updating 3 times in a row, sensor died 3 times and after the third attempt to reconnect the sensor...I finally gave up, you felt so helpless, so upsetting and stressing as it was just the 3rd day wearing it.
I said to myself...right, that does it, I'm out of here. I need to find something else, before it would struck my mental health from this issue.
Luckily, we have Dexcom G7 in my region, Hong Kong cause otherwise I would be stuck with this never ending issue.
If Libre 3 was available, I would go for it since it last 14 days and also a bit smaller than G7.
Honestly, yes there are some downsides once using other than Medtronic CGM you will need to do lot of things manually since its not in automode anymore, you need to report your BG to 780G.
But its far more better than living in anxiety just because of GS CGM, we already having it quite heavy.....in a way of speaking
Good luck to all of us

Gordontoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the risk of sounding like a knob, are you aware that Medtronic advise that the guardian 4 be placed on the back of the upper arm, no where else??

Reactions: Phaid

Haggar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried variou postions, but owing to my activity the sensor only lasted 3 to 4 days. Switching to the back of the arm I get 6 days usually.

Reactions: Gordontoo

Gordontoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
5-7 days is the life expectancy Medtronic gives their Guardian 4 sensors, on that basis, you are right on the money.

Gordontoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My personal opinion is that the design and now the required placement location of these sensors, (which does requires a second person), makes living with them almost impossible. Hopefully Medtronics will put their rather vast resources to the task of designing and manufacturing a user friendly, reliable and accurate replacement sensor, as a matter of urgency.

Gordontoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be remiss of me to not state that IMO the 780G software is light years ahead of its predecessor the 770G. IMO if Medtronics can get it together and come up with a suitable sensor, to match that advance, then I believe they will have really come up with the first stand alone artificial pancreas.
Fingers crossed..

MoonCloudy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agreed.
At this state, Medtronic Simplera sensor only works with the InPen
As for the 780G pump, GS4 will be replaced by their upcoming Instinct sensor which will talk to the pump.
Im really looking forward to using this simple insertion step. (same as G7 and Libre)
The current GS is a truly disaster in terms of insertion and soooo way behind.
The GS should be made/designed from OUR point of view, We are the Actual User, nobody understands how hard it would be during our weekly insertion process.
I am using Dexcom G7 and forced doing manually mode on my 780G which is not supposed to and wasting the AutoMode feature.
I will not be switching back until Instinct sensor is coming out and I am paying every one of my sensors since we have no insurance cover in Hong Kong
So, please.... we need the Instinct sensor, the sooner the better
Its a Win Win situation

Gordontoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with what you are saying MoonCloudy. IMO, from a users perspective, the guardian 4 is so far behind the field, as to be not even in the race. As for still requiring additional tape to hold it in place and to now require a second person to help with the insertion and to only suggest the the back of the arm as a suitable and approved insertion site, well words almost fail me, almost. MoonCloudy, whoever at Medtronic thinks this a a generational improvement has no idea either about the current sensor market, nor what the actual end user requires from said sensors.

Regarding the Instinct sensor my friend, I am happy to be corrected, but I am unable to find any information that actually shows that it has been submitted for approval either in Asia, Europe, the States, or here in Australia. If anyone has any more information, I would appreciate it.
Stay well.