Bolus for chicken stir fry and what can be eaten without insulin?

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So one of my favourite meals is chicken stir fry and I only add chicken, pack of mixed stir fry veg and GF soya sauce. According to the packets I used there were minimal carbs in my dinner so I only injected 1 unit of Novo Rapid.
I started out at 5.8 before dinner where it steadily climbed up to 12 for the rest of the evening! Before bed at 10pm I was doing another correction.
What the heck happened as I didn’t eat any carbs with that meal? I didn’t think you had to Bolus for meat/chicken and vegetables?
Thank you

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Alas. Protein will digest via gluconeogenesis & can eventually raise BGs.

Was there any baby corn in the mix?

• Agree
Reactions: In Response

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In the absence of "enough" carbs in your meal, your body will break down the protein into glucose.
This happens slower than with starchy carbs so you may see the rise later.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There wasn’t any baby sweetcorn but it did have carrot strips, mushrooms, onion, green leaf stuff & beansprouts!
Yes the spike was more gradual than if I’d eaten a slice of bread but didn’t seem to stop all evening!
Thank you for letting me know that this sort of meal, I still need to take Novorapid.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As I’ve recently discovered a chicken & veg stir fry with no carbs raises my sugars so I thought I’d ask the question what can you eat without taking any insulin?

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What about the ingredients in the Soya Sauce? If it is not naturally fermented, it may have sugar and other additives.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,

From a T1 perspective. (Me.) not a lot. It also depends on what my basal is doing? Still exogenous insulin in the system, though long acting. 5 or 10g would fix a basal low for me…

For you? It might depend on how much insulin you actually produce & how sensitive you are to it? (But that’s just wild guesswork on my behalf.)

I do know that the same food same bolus on any given day. Does not always reveal the same results.

Your stirfry sounded great, by the way…

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What about the ingredients in the Soya Sauce? If it is not naturally fermented, it may have sugar and other additives.
I’m not sure on the ingredients but I know that it was 0.3g of carbs per tbsp & I added 2 tbsp towards the end of cooking.
It was Kikkoman tamari gluten free soy sauce.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again,

From a T1 perspective. (Me.) not a lot. It also depends on what my basal is doing? Still exogenous insulin in the system, though long acting. 5 or 10g would fix a basal low for me…

For you? It might depend on how much insulin you actually produce & how sensitive you are to it? (But that’s just wild guesswork on my behalf.)

I do know that the same food same bolus on any given day. Does not always reveal the same results.

Your stirfry sounded great, by the way…
Thank you, the stir fry was very yummy and I do eat them quite a lot.
My basal seems to be okay at the moment, when I don’t eat, it hovers around 6 to 7 and is like that at night too now it’s been swapped to nighttime and not morning.
I just need to sort out my mealtime injecting
Unfortunately type 2’s don’t seem to get much help with carb counting ( personal experience so far) but maybe there are some other type 2’s who do get help.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you put any sauce with your stir fry? Soy, black bean sauce etc. as these can contain sugar. I ate m&s plain roast chicken, or so I though, when I checked my BG it was quite high so checked the nutritional list and the cheeky blighters had cooked the chicken with maltodextrin :rolleyes:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I used to eat a lot of carrots before diagnosis, but I can't handle more than about a half a small one now.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
What veg was in the stir fry?

Tony

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped buying stir fry mix because of the carrots (I actually took them out and discovered more than half the mix was carrots!) and onion, and now buy the ingredients separately and make my own. Any leftovers can go into soup the next day.

I can't speak for soy sauce as never used it, but find a slosh of cider vinegar adds a delightful piquance.

Reactions: ElenaP

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, the stir fry was very yummy and I do eat them quite a lot.
My basal seems to be okay at the moment, when I don’t eat, it hovers around 6 to 7 and is like that at night too now it’s been swapped to nighttime and not morning.
I just need to sort out my mealtime injecting
Unfortunately type 2’s don’t seem to get much help with carb counting ( personal experience so far) but maybe there are some other type 2’s who do get help.
You mentioned on the other topic taking a correction dose after the meal..
How did that eventually pan out?
Sometimes one needs to time the dose for the metabolism of the meal.
Digestion of which doesn’t always complement the working profile of Novorapid?

Reactions: EllieM

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you put any sauce with your stir fry? Soy, black bean sauce etc. as these can contain sugar. I ate m&s plain roast chicken, or so I though, when I checked my BG it was quite high so checked the nutritional list and the cheeky blighters had cooked the chicken with maltodextrin :rolleyes:
I did add Gluten Free soy sauce but the packet said 0.3g of carbs per tbsp.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The stir fry pack had carrot strips, mushrooms, onion, green leaf stuff & beansprouts!

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You mentioned on the other topic taking a correction dose after the meal..
How did that eventually pan out?
Sometimes one needs to time the dose for the metabolism of the meal.
Digestion of which doesn’t always complement the working profile of Novorapid?
I took 2 units around 9pm as the libre arrow was showing straight up, bounced on my rebounder for a couple of mins, then as I went to bed the arrow was moving sideways and during the night my sugars dropped slowly till 6am this morning when they always seem to rise!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took 2 units around 9pm as the libre arrow was showing straight up, bounced on my rebounder for a couple of mins, then as I went to bed the arrow was moving sideways and during the night my sugars dropped slowly till 6am this morning when they always seem to rise!!
What time did you inject the 1u for your dinner?

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
The stir fry pack had carrot strips, mushrooms, onion, green leaf stuff & beansprouts!
Errr did you say no carb? Hehe

I can eat plain chicken, steak, cheese the basal seems to cover very low carb stuff, but then I’m only on 10-20g a day so everything is VLC