Stressed and worried

Gargoyletaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to have tigerbread :/
I find dried fruit sends me sky high, amd I assume the teacake had some in. I also find wheat flour raises me.
But that's me, you need to continue testing and then go very very low carb to see if that's better.
But don't get disheartened, it's taken your body a long time to get here, and it will take time to resolve too.
As to grab snacks, expect very little from shops/service stations etc. You might be lucky to find packs of cold cooked meats, or hard boiled eggs, or packets of nuts or olives.
Best is to learn to go prepared, so take your own or eat beforehand so you aren't hungry..
Both those things get easier with time and practice.

Bagged snacks can be Cheesies (just dried cheese), pork or chicken crackling.
My lovely son bought me 12 bags of each for Chr, which will keep me going to summer at least
It was a teacake I grabbed whilst we were out, so between 30 & 39 grammes of carbs plus the dried fruit.

I was naive in thinking that small innocent looking item would only spike my BG about 4 mmol

It's a massive learning curve getting your head around how your body reacts to everything. Even if you are sat just watching telly, you BG levels don't just stay still.

I have found if I eliminate all obvious carbs my body can cope with the amount of carbs in meat and most veg.

I am looking at the carb content when I go shopping & nothing I usually buy/eat has a high amount of carbs, so I'm hoping I just need to steer clear of the breaded/grab as you go food.

I am dairy intolerant, so I'm having nuts and pork crackling as snacks.

What I have found since being diagnosed is that my sweet craving after lunch and dinner has disappeared! I was keeping to 1 or 2 squares of dark chocolate a day, but I have no willpower with sweet things being dairy free!

I have lost nearly 4kg so although I'm only slightly overweight, it all helps.

I have a load of test strips ready for when the Libre 2 runs out so I can continue learning.

It's a hard week this week. It's my mum's funeral on Thurs and I live 250 miles away. My 9 year old has decided to stay with our next door neighbours as she is adamant she doesn't want to go to the funeral.
It'll be our 1st night away without her & she is obviously scared but also excited.

Then it's my dad's 1st anniversary the next day on Fri.

No comfort food though

I'm hoping my blood pressure comes down as the doctors are also concerned about that. I have been on high blood pressure tablets for years so they may increase the dose when I speak to them tomorrow

I will keep you updated.

Thank you

Merope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, this has been a really interesting thread to read. Thank you. I think it has answered the question that I joined the forum to find out.
I am T2 and do Intermittent Fasting and TRE, but am struggling with my BG rising during fasting. I will be interested to see how your continued protein breakfast works. But does anybody know if I can stop the continued DP rise without eating as this will break a multi day fast? Will exercise do it ?

Good luck with your journey OP.

Reactions: Gargoyletaz

Merope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry, I posted my post above having missed your most recent post.
It sounds as though you have a very difficult week ahead of you. My condolences and may all go as well as it can.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Gargoyletaz
Please be kind and gentle to yourself this week.
I too, am in a bereavement situation, following a month of hospital visiting. Even in the days when I kept very low carb my readings were generally 2 higher than usual. Those mornings when I woke with a jerk, immediately thinking about the situation my bg was instantly up and stayed up even if I ate nothing at all.

So although carby food is the main cause of high bg, it can be affected by all sorts of things including things we can't control such as stress, anxiety, excitement, lack of sleep etc.

I'd suggest you forget monitoring this week, or maybe just once or twice a day and just aim to eat mostly low carb. The odd comfort food might be just the comfort you need to get through. Just plan to get back on plan again as soon as possible.

Breathe, be gentle and kind to yourself and all around you. Diabetes will be OK if it takes a lesser priority for a few days.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Just to add to the above, I had 2 small handfuls of salted peanuts after I posted and my pre lunch level was 7.4.

I will experiment tomorrow having a boiled egg to break the fast instead of nuts and let you know what my pre lunch levels are tomorrow.
Peanuts can be quit carby, if I have too many then my bg will shoot up and my fasting readings will be in the 7.5 regions. I haven't wanted to eat recently and have really struggled to lure myself into eating something. No idea why but my waistline likes it ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Peanuts can be quit carby, if I have too many then my bg will shoot up and my fasting readings will be in the 7.5 regions. I haven't wanted to eat recently and have really struggled to lure myself into eating something. No idea why but my waistline likes it ;)
These days my comfort food is scrambled eggs, with grated Leicester cheese stirred in just as it finishes cooking, and a thinly sliced tomato on top once it is off the heat. I put the plate on the top of the wok I cook it in, then by the time I have gone to the cutlery drawer and got ready to eat the tomato is warm.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
These days my comfort food is scrambled eggs, with grated Leicester cheese stirred in just as it finishes cooking, and a thinly sliced tomato on top once it is off the heat. I put the plate on the top of the wok I cook it in, then by the time I have gone to the cutlery drawer and got ready to eat the tomato is warm.
That sounds so nice, I have a small slice of edam on scrambled egg and its just divine!

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Had this last night, wondered where I'd seen it posted, thanks, can recommend.

Will make it again, felt a small bit of onion would have went well with it too (for me onion is okay)

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Had this last night, wondered where I'd seen it posted, thanks, can recommend.

Will make it again, felt a small bit of onion would have went well with it too (for me onion is okay)
I am fine with dried onion the powder kind, not the proper onion if you now what I mean. I have the powder kind over everything savoury now!

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am fine with dried onion the powder kind, not the proper onion if you now what I mean. I have the powder kind over everything savoury now!

Yeah, I know the one, an essential in my kitchen along with garlic powder, seasoning, marinades, sometimes throw a bit over a salad too

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be able to get away with the same flavour for fewer carbs either with finely sliced spring onion, or else chopped chives. Works for me.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You might be able to get away with the same flavour for fewer carbs either with finely sliced spring onion, or else chopped chives. Works for me.
Yes I have tried that but its the same it spikes. Very weird and destroying for me as I love onions :arghh: I can just about get away with a fried tomato with a mixed grill but unfried its different.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I have tried that but its the same it spikes. Very weird and destroying for me as I love onions :arghh: I can just about get away with a fried tomato with a mixed grill but unfried its different.

Ah, shame, 'funny' how we are all so different and one thing that sets me off wont set you off and vice versa.

Guess this is why blanket diet advice and flying blind without knowing how this affects us individually is a bit dubious.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Ah, shame, 'funny' how we are all so different and one thing that sets me off wont set you off and vice versa.

Guess this is why blanket diet advice and flying blind without knowing how this affects us individually is a bit dubious.
Yet again, proof that all diabetic types need glucose monitors!

Gargoyletaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your kind words.

Although stressful (I have a fractious relationship with my brother & we rarely speak), last Thursday went ok.

My 9 year old daughter enjoyed her sleepover with the neighbours but was so excited to see us. Boy, did we miss her!

I had a few John Smiths on Fri for my dad, too

So, I had my 45 minute appointment with my Diabetic Nurse (DN) last Wednesday.
I thoroughly enjoyed her script & and checklists, and she asked me absolutely nothing. I offered to show her my readings & libre trial graphs, but she wasn't interested. I actually have no idea if the settings for high & low on my glucose monitor are correct

When I mentioned my drive in getting my 1c levels to at least pre-diabetic levels, she informed me I would ALWAYS be type 2 diabetic. My medical records will not change even if I get my 1c into non-diabetic levels.

She also informed me that my diabetes is genetic, so I am to get into the mindset that I probably need medication as diet & exercise may not help. I've already decided if I my body needs help with getting rid of my blood glucose, then so be it, but I'll be controlling what I eat whatever the outcome.

I've read so many newly diagnosed people with the same response, and it's so frustrating.

I am getting so much more out of this site than I will get from a DN or GP.

I realise that never eating bread or potatoes in any form or rice and pasta isn't sustainable. I am focused on testing before and after eating to gain a good knowledge of what my body can & can't tolerate.
Apparently, 3 squares of chocolate are fine, but 6 isn't

I am much less stressed and no longer worried.....although my DN stories of flesh falling off feet and ulcers that have killed people concerning
Luckily, my friend is a nurse on a vascular ward, so I've heard worse and, of course, amputation of limbs on poorly managed diabetes.

On a happier note, if my settings of 4-8.5 being in the OK range & not going more than 2 mmol higher than my pre eating levels, I am 90% in the green range.

I am not due for a HBA1c test until June, so I have downloaded Mysugr app so I can see appropriately where this figure is as I go along.

My DN did measure my waist for insulin resistance but didn't explain what my measurement showed?
Do I need to be concerned about this, or is it something I can't control. So uneducated about insulin resistance

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Measuring around the waist is a very crude way of checking for visceral fat (which is thought to be related to insulin resistance).
The idea is that your waist measurement (belly button height) should be less than half your height.

Gargoyletaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Measuring around the waist is a very crude way of checking for visceral fat (which is thought to be related to insulin resistance).
The idea is that your waist measurement (belly button height) should be less than half your height.
Thank you @ianf0ster

Maybe my measurement wasn't sufficient to tell me I was fat