_Steve_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbs >:[
Hello,

I'm Steve, 37 from the UK and was diagnosed about 8 weeks ago with Type 2, with a HBA1c of 95. Parents were diabetic, as is 2 of my brothers so it was inevitable genetics came to get me as well. Over the past 7 weeks I've been using a Libre 2 and closely monitoring glucose levels, I've dropped around 2st doing a low carb diet and daily cycling with an exercise bike/getting as close to 10k steps a day in as possible.

I've seen massive changes going from waking fasting levels from 12-13 at the start down to 5-6 (over the past couple of weeks) so something is working. I have spoke to the diabetic dietician and discussed the NHS low calorie diet which I'm being referred on to, so I've got another blood test this week as HBA1c needs to be below 87. The dietician did a finger prick 2 min HBA1c last week and it was 62, which she was happy with after it only being 8 weeks, so the blood test should be similar or lower. Libre says my GMI is 5.9% 41 mmol/mol now but obviously it doesn't have all the data yet.

Over the past few weeks I've been reading advice and comments on here but never created an account, so here I am finally. Hello!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Steve, and welcome!

You've made excellent progress already, and your "real" HbA1c is bound to be decidedly lower than the test showed now, as it still took into account the period when you were high and not adjusting your lifestyle to cater to your metabolic needs... Basically, you're rocking this and you should be giving a course, not taking one. ;)

That said... Be careful with a low calorie diet. Pick one or the other, but don't go low carb and low cal for an extended period of time. That'd be a crash diet and you'd end up severely malnourished if you continue too long. (Scurvy is not as out-dated as one might think). So if it's a diet for two months or something, that's fine, but it's not meant for the long term. It would kickstart a lot of weight loss though, which you're likely experiencing something of already, so it'd get you a good start out of the gate, but it's not meant for the long term. Somehow I have a feeling you already know all this. ;)

Again, you've made a grand start of it already... Be proud!
Jo

Reactions: EllieM and lessci

_Steve_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Steve, and welcome!

You've made excellent progress already, and your "real" HbA1c is bound to be decidedly lower than the test showed now, as it still took into account the period when you were high and not adjusting your lifestyle to cater to your metabolic needs... Basically, you're rocking this and you should be giving a course, not taking one. ;)

That said... Be careful with a low calorie diet. Pick one or the other, but don't go low carb and low cal for an extended period of time. That'd be a crash diet and you'd end up severely malnourished if you continue too long. (Scurvy is not as out-dated as one might think). So if it's a diet for two months or something, that's fine, but it's not meant for the long term. It would kickstart a lot of weight loss though, which you're likely experiencing something of already, so it'd get you a good start out of the gate, but it's not meant for the long term. Somehow I have a feeling you already know all this. ;)

Again, you've made a grand start of it already... Be proud!
Jo

Thank you for the welcome! Yes currently it's mainly low carb, I have also decreased the calorie intake but I'm still eating around 1500-2000 kcal and exercising a lot with that. If/when I do start the NHS low calorie diet I believe they provide the meals and plan for me as a balanced diet. I had a discussion with the dietician about choosing low carb or low cal, decided on the low carb to begin as that would probably have a better result on my glucose levels. Whether or not this will work better, or what I've already been doing will tell in time.

The real test will be when the dieting is over and I'm at the desired weight, but still need to watch what I eat as part of a healthy lifestyle/managing glucose levels.

Whilst it was a bit of a shock when that first blood test came back at 95 and I was diagnosed, it's kick-started actually doing exercise and being more active which I now enjoy doing. :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the welcome! Yes currently it's mainly low carb, I have also decreased the calorie intake but I'm still eating around 1500-2000 kcal and exercising a lot with that. If/when I do start the NHS low calorie diet I believe they provide the meals and plan for me as a balanced diet. I had a discussion with the dietician about choosing low carb or low cal, decided on the low carb to begin as that would probably have a better result on my glucose levels. Whether or not this will work better, or what I've already been doing will tell in time.

The real test will be when the dieting is over and I'm at the desired weight, but still need to watch what I eat as part of a healthy lifestyle/managing glucose levels.

Whilst it was a bit of a shock when that first blood test came back at 95 and I was diagnosed, it's kick-started actually doing exercise and being more active which I now enjoy doing. :)
I think you have a rather clear idea of how to go ahead with this... You're really taking the bull by the horns, rather than just doing an "Oh, well, them's the breaks" and not doing anything about it. (Which a surprisingly large amount of people opt for, my own family members included!). I hope the dietician'll help you get things set up for the long run, because indeed, after the initial dieting to get to a good baseline is over, the lifestyle change is still there to contend with, and a bit of guidance is nice. I've been low carbing for going on 8 years now, (and walking a lot for someone with a bum hip) so it is quite sustainable. Did LCHF, Keto, carnivore, and went back to keto, as that suited me best, and stuck with that for the most part. So if something doesn't fit or gel with you and your needs, there's always other options to explore, with your medical team or on here for instance. :)

I have a feeling you're going to be just fine. ;)
Jo

_Steve_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you :)

It's good to know and encouraging that keto is sustainable long term, out of anything I think Id prefer that the most, I do love a good steak and eggs!

• Optimistic
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing results so far @_Steve_ well done for getting to grips with it so quickly, yes keto is definitely sustainable long term. I was roughly the same levels as you on diagnosis, I did start off on maximum dose meds but as I dropped the carbs I also reduced my meds with support from my GP, my stats are all in my signature if you scroll down to the bottom, I’m 14 years in first 9 years on low carb last 5 years on keto, just on a small dose of Metformin now, it becomes a way of life and it’s a very satisfying way of eating so enjoy your steak & eggs :)

Reactions: _Steve_

mouseee

It's funny how different areas push different things. I was diagnosed 4 years ago, I think, and no one mentioned courses, diets or anything else and i was hba1c 101.
I'm of the opinion that is you've lost 2 stone doing what you're doing it would seem bonkers to go super low calorie as that isn't sustainable where as low carb is if you balance your carbs with sustainability. But obviously that's between you and your diabetic team.
Well done on the brilliant progress so far and I'm sure the next hba1c will be much lower than you're expecting.

Reactions: ajbod and _Steve_

_Steve_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the comments! when I spoke to the dietician we spoke about the weight loss will eventually slow down and get more difficult, the NHS program offers support, advice and monitoring from professionals over a 12 month period so I preferred that option rather than doing it all myself and potentially doing the wrong thing/re-gaining weight. If it doesn't all work out though, I can always go back to doing it myself - that's the logic I came to in the end

Reactions: lovinglife

derekhansen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just adding weight to the low carb rather than low calorie diet advice.
When I was diagnosed T2, I switched to a 50G (ish) carbs a day diet. I have never counted calories and just keep mobile and active rather than hitting the Gym or taking up jogging. So far I have lost 55lb (over 8 months) and my Hba1c went from 49 to 38 within 3 months. My opinion is that the 50G of carbs a day tends to naturally reduce the calories consumed and switching to less carb dependent diet encourages your body to burn fat. Another plus is that cutting out the very carb rich foods, drastically reduced my hunger pangs and cravings.
Regarding exercise. Of course its good to get fit but don't be too reliant on it to lose weight unless the increased intensity is something you are willing to sustain long term, as in 'the rest of your life'

_Steve_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just a small update, I had my HBA1c back last week and it was 59. Pretty happy considering It started at 95 and It hasn't been 3 months. It actually took around a month to get to around 'normal' levels after I was diagnosed and started dieting anyway so I'm assuming it'll drop even further in another 6-8 weeks. Hoping to dodge starting any medication when I'm due for my review with the nurse at the end of next month.

Its good enough to be referred onto the NHS remission program so I guess I'll see what they say/advise when I'm contacted and my referral has gone through. They said 5 days to contact me, but it was a Friday and with bank holiday Monday coming, it might not be for another week : )

mouseee

And that's why I'm not certain you need low calorie! That's an excellent result and a great outcome for all your hard work.
Hope the remission team is helpful!

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally in your situation, my attitude would be I KNOW what my body needs. Low carb is working fantastically, why muck about doing low calorie. I did Keto a few years ago before diagnosis, purely to lose weight, which i did 30 Kgs in 4 months, this was without exercise, due to Peripheral artery disease, ( legs were ********). And WITHOUT any hunger pangs.

• Agree
Reactions: _Steve_ and Outlier