Five Guys Burgers - lettuce wrap

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I confirmed with Five Guys (UK) that the lettuce wrap burger is available here (off menu - have to ask). I used to love Five Guys burgers - best chips too. No more chips for me, but I think i could live with a lettuce wrap.

1710493894787.png

(Not my image)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I confirmed with Five Guys (UK) that the lettuce wrap burger is available here (off menu - have to ask). I used to love Five Guys burgers - best chips too. No more chips for me, but I think i could live with a lettuce wrap.

View attachment 66748
(Not my image)
I had the lettuce wrap here in Utrecht... It knocked it right out of the park, I loved it!

Reactions: MissMuffett

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 66748
(Not my image)
You can also have your burger in a tray, if you prefer.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do they offer a knife and fork too? :)

Somehow not eating a burger out of a brown paper bag seems to me to detract from the Five Guys experience
:p
They do, also McDonald’s & Burger King have cutlery - I agree it’s the only time I miss a bun on a burger, I don’t have this type of food very often and if I do it’s usually planned so I take along one of my low carb rolls from SLC to stuff it all in. Only had 5 guys once as there isn’t one near me. I do like a GKB naked burger when I can get one - you get quite a plateful

Reactions: MissMuffett

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They do, also McDonald’s & Burger King have cutlery - I agree it’s the only time I miss a bun on a burger, I don’t have this type of food very often and if I do it’s usually planned so I take along one of my low carb rolls from SLC to stuff it all in. Only had 5 guys once as there isn’t one near me. I do like a GKB naked burger when I can get one - you get quite a plateful

You referring to the SRSLY low carb rolls and GBK?

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a look at the website. Do you rate the rolls? At a quid each (plus shipping unless I buy £40 of the stuff) - seems pricey! If they are amazing though - may be worth it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a look at the website. Do you rate the rolls? At a quid each (plus shipping unless I buy £40 of the stuff) - seems pricey! If they are amazing though - may be worth it.
They’re not bread as you know it if that’s what you’re looking for but they are nice enough and probably the nearest thing to bread you can get. I only use them now and then they’re not a regular thing for me, usually toasted for a bacon butty. The thing they do sell that are very good are the wraps, they are very much like any other wrap and the best low carb/keto wrap I’ve had

There is a few of the members here that use the bread & rolls and there is another company that stopped trading for a while but are back up & running The Low Carb Food Co. Their rolls are smaller but denser.

All freeze very well. I agree they are more expensive than supermarket bread but then everything like that is, I look at it that all the money I save from other stuff I don’t buy anymore covers the cost. Plus I’m worth it ;)

• Agree
Reactions: ElenaP and Pipp

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They’re not bread as you know it if that’s what you’re looking for but they are nice enough and probably the nearest thing to bread you can get. I only use them now and then they’re not a regular thing for me, usually toasted for a bacon butty. The thing they do sell that are very good are the wraps, they are very much like any other wrap and the best low carb/keto wrap I’ve had

There is a few of the members here that use the bread & rolls and there is another company that stopped trading for a while but are back up & running The Low Carb Food Co. Their rolls are smaller but denser.

All freeze very well. I agree they are more expensive than supermarket bread but then everything like that is, I look at it that all the money I save from other stuff I don’t buy anymore covers the cost. Plus I’m worth it ;)
May give it a go then! They aren't too far from where I live - maybe i'll pop over and take a look.

Absolutely worth a quid if they are half decent - i'm worth it too ;)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May give it a go then! They aren't too far from where I live - maybe i'll pop over and take a look.

Absolutely worth a quid if they are half decent - i'm worth it too ;)
I think they do collection which will save you postage but don’t quote me on that

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wouldn't it be great if Five Guys offered this bun on their menu!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the lettuce wraps, messy yes but oh so good.

I'd never go back to a bun of any sort, it's only there to protect the fingers,. Was originally a cost cutting ploy to save cost of cutlery, plates and washing up. Totally unnecessary and tasteless. Even worse now nearly all burger buns are brioche based, just added sugar ro hide the fact their over processed and nutrionally devoid.

Long live the lettuce wrap!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Even worse now nearly all burger buns are brioche based, just added sugar ro hide the fact their over processed and nutrionally devoid.
Brioche should not have high sugar content. A traditional brioche is a rick dough made with milk and butter but not necessarily sugar.
Some may be sweet but it is not necessary for a traditional brioche.
Real brioche is light and buttery and far from over processed.
Sadly, burger restaurants do not serve real brioche as I suspect it is too expensive.

Sorry, as a home baker, I found myself back on my high horse defending "real" bread.
I rarely buy shop bought any more (although I still eat it) as the shop bought stuff is tasteless UPF.

Reactions: MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brioche should not have high sugar content. A traditional brioche is a rick dough made with milk and butter but not necessarily sugar.
Some may be sweet but it is not necessary for a traditional brioche.
Real brioche is light and buttery and far from over processed.
Sadly, burger restaurants do not serve real brioche as I suspect it is too expensive.

Sorry, as a home baker, I found myself back on my high horse defending "real" bread.
I rarely buy shop bought any more (although I still eat it) as the shop bought stuff is tasteless UPF.
I agree about the gorgeous real brioche.
Sadly a lot of the commercial burger buns have minimal egg or milk added but are glazed with a sugar syrup. Another clever marketing/cost cutting ploy.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They do pickup as well.
Just got a reply from them on this. They no longer do pick ups - apparently they are moving premises. Not sure if it is permanent or not, but they did say they would be available in shops soon.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got a reply from them on this. They no longer do pick ups - apparently they are moving premises. Not sure if it is permanent or not, but they did say they would be available in shops soon.
Sorry for misleading you - they've done pickups since I first found them (not that it's relevant for me) but that bit of the website seems to have gone.

But I did notice that they are now offering a discount of 30% if you are a "ketogenic outpatient" (not sure what that is) and 20% if you're a GP patient on a Low carb/Blood Sugar management course. The problem is that it's the GP who has to email SRSLY.....like that's going to happen.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no problem with delivery - but for free delivery they want a £45 order - which is a lot of bread rolls which I'm not even sure I will like. I could pay for delivery - but that would be more than the cost of 1 pack of bread rolls which irks me slightly.