"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a few of us here been floored for weeks with a viral infection. We're just left with an annoying cough now (as you'll see from other posts).

I suppose it’s due, not gloating about it, I did manage to avoid/fight off the last 4 or 5 things/coughs/colds that have passed through our house, I think my run of luck is over!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today, Monday 22 April - bed 7.8 FBG 7.4. It was a much better night. Not many "coughing" awakenings! I finally awoke at 7.10am, thinking it was Sunday

Usual school run, eldest to mine as Mondays are pretty quiet for him at school.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with egg mayo. Benecol dairy free. Then a morning of English and maths lessons.

L. A chicken drumstick while grandson was in school at science.

D. Nothing exciting. I wanted to have the last of the celeriac dauphinoise. The only thing I saw to go with it was chicken drumsticks. Has to get younger grandson to swimming training, DIL & eldest to the gym. After my travels, a scoop of Halo Top.

@Annb - you are bringing back memories of when we were having the extension built, as we continued to live here. There were boxes everywhere! We were climbing over them for months.

20240422_182208.jpg

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Winner for not caving in to carbs today - well done. Not only wet but blooming cold today too. Really does affect motivation and spirits. I've got a tight schedule as we are away from Sunday for a week so need to do lots extra before going to help eldest sons respite care while away and to help him cope. It's worth it though to get away and have a break.
We decided to go on another cruise as enjoyed our Norwegian one last year. I wasn't sure at the time if I'd like it but really did and found it very easy to eat high quality and nutritious low carb food. So we are going on a northern European one on Sunday. Can't wait but long to do list first!
That sounds lovely! A good break is so important for carers, I never got one as my caring was during covid, and out the other side but no time then to really organise respite - it was discussed but mum's needs had progressed to 24/7 at that point and hospices had no capacity. I hope your son is happy and settled in respite, and all my best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, hope all doing well. Into the last week of interrailing, will be home on Friday all being well. Travelled to Munich today and it is freezing,may have to give in and buy scarf and gloves tomorrow. It’s ok travelling light but was hoping for some Spring weather on this trip. It was 28deg in Milan last Monday lulled me into a false sense of security.
On the plus side, low carb has been going really well. I brought Keto granola, seed crackers, nuts and Kind bars with me which have been useful and then been eating meat,cheese,eggs,yoghurts soups and salads of various kinds. I really haven’t been tempted, luckily it has not been gelato weather or that could have been a different story! No, seriously I am very pleased, I wasn’t at all sure how this trip would go foodwise but so far so good.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, it rained pretty much all day today so I spent the day sulking and watching films! There is plenty to do in the house but I felt moody so went with a lazy day.

I felt tempted to eat carbs today but didn't give in thankfully.

10am glass of kefir

12.30pm
Small bowl of minced beef in marrowbone broth
Pork crackling
Greek yogurt with cream

3pm
100g cheese

5pm
2 crispy chicken thighs
1 slice bacon

Black coffee and a few montezuma's 100% buttons.

Hope everyone had a less sulky day than I did :hilarious:
Sometimes those lazy days are just what you need though. Hope you feel more energized tomorro.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, hope all doing well. Into the last week of interrailing, will be home on Friday all being well. Travelled to Munich today and it is freezing,may have to give in and buy scarf and gloves tomorrow. It’s ok travelling light but was hoping for some Spring weather on this trip. It was 28deg in Milan last Monday lulled me into a false sense of security.
On the plus side, low carb has been going really well. I brought Keto granola, seed crackers, nuts and Kind bars with me which have been useful and then been eating meat,cheese,eggs,yoghurts soups and salads of various kinds. I really haven’t been tempted, luckily it has not been gelato weather or that could have been a different story! No, seriously I am very pleased, I wasn’t at all sure how this trip would go foodwise but so far so good.
Well done you. I was revising today what we need for our north Europe trip today as it is so cold here in UK so you've definitely added to my instinct to pack more layers for North Germany. May need a bigger case!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done you. I was revising today what we need for our north Europe trip today as it is so cold here in UK so you've definitely added to my instinct to pack more layers for North Germany. May need a bigger case!
Yup. Here in the north of the Netherlands, temperatures will drop to below freezing point tonight...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dutch is one of those languages I feel I understand what’s being said, though I feel I couldn’t speak it (without learning of course) think maybe the grammar or structure is similar maybe to English?
Duo lingo is useful for learning a language.
Something that uses A I in a positive way .
I started to learn Dutch last year, using the app, inspired by meeting Antje, who speaks better English than she would have us believe. It is not easy, but I have had little hearing for the past year, so I read and understand a little better than I speak or listen.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Shoulder is slightly better/I think it’s the neck as the culprit though.
I'm with you on the neck. There's a herniated disc or two there that have been doing well for a couple of months until I did some jobs looking up last week and the week before, and now my neck is angry with me again.
Physio tomorrow, bracing for a telling off...

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with you on the neck. There's a herniated disc or two there that have been doing well for a couple of months until I did some jobs looking up last week and the week before, and now my neck is angry with me again.
Me too. I don't have a reason though - apart from a tiny amount of movement in the last week I have to go for a Covid jab today but the way things are, Neil will have to bring the wheelchair in from the car (where it is stored) to take me out. I hate having to ask him but he really doesn't mind. It's just my pride taking another knock.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ouch, I tend to find the looking up far better than looking down, can see how any above head work will aggravate the neck though. Hopefully the physio understands, mine gave me a telling off cause I had to move some furniture when had to have a boiler removed. Hope your appt goes well.

I don’t know what’s going on inside my neck (as they were adamant it was my shoulder so wouldn’t look into it) but I’ve been sleeping with no pillow on my back recently - my head is quite large so is in line with shoulders/spine even without one! That has been most helpful for me, especially because I’ve been having to sleep on my back because my arms keep giving me bad pain and keep going to sleep - the last few nights Ive had to use a pillow due to bring well and truely bunged up and can feel the neck not being happy already.

Oddly enough I totally forgot to take my Metformin yesterday and my carpal tunnel did not bother me at all last night where recently the very thought of bed has become a difficult and painful challenge.

May be totally coincidental but did start becoming a problem around the time I started taking it. I know no one here can tell me if it’s a good idea or not to ditch my medication for a few days to see but I might do a trial on my own head, then go back onto them and see if it flares up again - It would probably require me being stricter with the carbs and to be testing a bit more I guess.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. I don't have a reason though - apart from a tiny amount of movement in the last week I have to go for a Covid jab today but the way things are, Neil will have to bring the wheelchair in from the car (where it is stored) to take me out. I hate having to ask him but he really doesn't mind. It's just my pride taking another knock.
Sending you extra hugs today @Annb you take care sounds like you need to rest up and let Neil help you out. Not easy though to feel reliant on others but pointless making yourself in more pain through trying to push your body too hard. Hope jab trip goes okay.

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. I read the talk on learning languages with interest. I went to live in Netherlands in 1959 and my future mother-in-law helped me to learn Dutch. I got a job as a nanny after 3 months and could make myself understood. After about 6 months I was pretty fluent and no-one believed I was English, they thought I was German. When I came back to England, I found it very difficult to speak my own language, I had to translate everything back to English because I thought in Dutch. Although I can understand quite a lot of written work, I can't understand much when they speak so quickly. But that was a wonderful period of my life.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never managed to listen or get to a PHc conference yet. They always hold it in May and I will be away. Never mind

Yoghurt saga continues. I looked back over the notes @shelley262 kindly sent me (thought it was last summer, but was June 22!!) And I think I muddled up the 2 methods of using fresh milk or uht milk. That will teach me to read instructions rather than do it from memory. Duh!

I shall use up my runny yoghurt mixing it with sugar free jelly to make an lc dessert.

I'm not too sure it does work out cheaper. I get Lidls creamy greek style in 1kg pots and it's about the same as the litre of milk is, and I have trouble finding uht full cream milk.
ASDA, and Sainsbury's definitely do full fat UHT. I tend to use 50/50 full fat and semi-skimmed. I just prefer it.

I use the no boil method for yoghurt, in an Instant Pot. It works well for me.

To be honest, my gut feel is costs are marginal, but it's just convenient to make 2ltr (or more) as and when I feel like it, and just grab the milks from the pantry.