Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Walk around my home town this morning to see the queens baton with my daughter ( yes she seems to be more active now yeaahhhh) and my old aunt who has dementia.
Old Aunty snoring now lol.
Im just about to go on my bike because I want a couple of hundred calories extra as im going to a party later .
I still try to be no more than 1200 net calories but on special occasions will lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So far 21 minutes and 23 secs on the bike- an odd number yes, but that was when David Cassidy stopped singing and I hadn't time to fit another whole song in ( I'm a bit OCD about finishing a track once it's started( actually I do have OCD so I'm a bit OCD about a lot of things). Then swift Saturday whirl through Asda to pick up some raffle prizes for a thing I am attending later- so fast that I was in and back at car before Mr E came in to tell me where he's parked. Off for a bit more on bike now then a lie down to read my book on relaxation.

Reactions: 7 people

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A very pleasant 90 minute or so walk into Newbury and back in the warm sunshine. Stopped at a supermarket on the way back and bought some raspberries to have with jelly and cream for pudding later.

Reactions: 10 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did 45 minutes ironing then it got too hot to iron.
4k in 40 minutes.
After a day manning the nerf gun shooting range, walking, bending, picking up etc I promised myself a rest this evening. I put the wrong shoes on before I went out this morning and by the end of the fair my toes were giving me a lot of pain. How can I explain it? I remember getting very cold in the snow one winter, when I began to thaw out, I got a great deal of pain .

Anyway my toes felt a little better so I went out for a short walk and it turned into the 4k.

Reactions: 8 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A very pleasant 90 minute or so walk into Newbury and back in the warm sunshine. Stopped at a supermarket on the way back and bought some raspberries to have with jelly and cream for pudding later.
That sounds just lovely julifriend.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still struggling with lots of stuff. Had a few crises to deal with this week. Always happens when you are not up to coping with them.

Managed 12 mins of chair based exercise, then a rest for an hour or so. 15 mins of physio exercises. Another short rest, when I noticed cobwebs and dust (i haven't been able to do much cleaning for a long time, and I foolishly used to do it so well that nobody else in the house has those skills). Spent 10 mins stretching to reach the top corners of the shelves with a duster. Miscalculating how much time I had been exercising I went on to do 3 mins step ups on the top stair. Probably not the best place to chose for someone as unsteady as me, but I survived. A total of 40 mins. I added the first two activities wrong, hence the extra ten mins.

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pipp - thanks for reminding me, I have some physio type exercises to do too, they're are the ones I keep forgetting because I don't like them.

I walked for 44 minutes today and well, um......jogged for a minute too......If I am going to do that again I need to get my own inhaler, because I normally only use one when I have a chest infection, so then I share with my son. (It's the same type/strength inhaler and my GP suggested I do this because my own ones kept getting out of date because I didn't use them much). I also need to learn to distinguish between normal breathlessness when I am giving my heart a workout and the wrong type of breathlessness when it's not working properly. Still my resting heart rate is even and now back down to 64 bpm. It had been up a bit for a week or so, I presume this was because of stress.

OK if I start with my ironing now, I may just empty (one of) the laundry baskets today.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Still struggling with lots of stuff. Had a few crises to deal with this week. Always happens when you are not up to coping with them.

Managed 12 mins of chair based exercise, then a rest for an hour or so. 15 mins of physio exercises. Another short rest, when I noticed cobwebs and dust (i haven't been able to do much cleaning for a long time, and I foolishly used to do it so well that nobody else in the house has those skills). Spent 10 mins stretching to reach the top corners of the shelves with a duster. Miscalculating how much time I had been exercising I went on to do 3 mins step ups on the top stair. Probably not the best place to chose for someone as unsteady as me, but I survived. A total of 40 mins. I added the first two activities wrong, hence the extra ten mins.

Fab xx

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pipp - thanks for reminding me, I have some physio type exercises to do too, they're are the ones I keep forgetting because I don't like them.

I walked for 44 minutes today and well, um......jogged for a minute too......If I am going to do that again I need to get my own inhaler, because I normally only use one when I have a chest infection, so then I share with my son. (It's the same type/strength inhaler and my GP suggested I do this because my own ones kept getting out of date because I didn't use them much). I also need to learn to distinguish between normal breathlessness when I am giving my heart a workout and the wrong type of breathlessness when it's not working properly. Still my resting heart rate is even and now back down to 64 bpm. It had been up a bit for a week or so, I presume this was because of stress.

OK if I start with my ironing now, I may just empty (one of) the laundry baskets today.

Jogging?! Have you gone completely mad?! Lol,

Great zand! It takes a little while for your body to adjust and get used to the fact that - yes, it is possible to run without keeling over. The first bit of running I did (and I haven't got any excuses health wise!) I thought there was no way that anyone could do this for fun! It felt like such hard work.
With regards to the inhaler - always best to have one with you. On a positive note, a friend of mine suffered with asthma horribly as a kid and into adulthood. She was convinced that she couldn't run - just because understandably she began to panic when she became breathless. She just built up her running slowly - doing jogga-walking. Jog for a bit, until getting breathless, rest and walk for a bit and repeat. Funnily enough she's doing a half ironman today!

Really proud of you for even giving running a go zand - you're showing fighting spirit! Bx

Reactions: 3 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

You must be really chuffed with yourself Pipp! You just reel off all of your activities 'matter of factly' - are you beginning to feel fitter now?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
4k in 40 minutes.
After a day manning the nerf gun shooting range, walking, bending, picking up etc I promised myself a rest this evening. I put the wrong shoes on before I went out this morning and by the end of the fair my toes were giving me a lot of pain. How can I explain it? I remember getting very cold in the snow one winter, when I began to thaw out, I got a great deal of pain .

Anyway my toes felt a little better so I went out for a short walk and it turned into the 4k.

Hot aches! Ouch - I remember those days! Collecting wood for the fire with my brothers. Freezing cold fingers that ached soooo much when they started warming back up!
Hope your feet are a bit better today.:)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jogging?! Have you gone completely mad?! Lol,
Really proud of you for even giving running a go zand - you're showing fighting spirit! Bx

@Bebo321 lol No, I haven't gone mad! This is something I've always wanted to do since I was in my late 20's, I just never got around to it. Yesterday when you suggested I do something just for me, maybe something creative, I thought for ages and there's nothing I really want to do except read the books I have just bought myself and try to jog. The older I get the harder it's going to be to start, so after what you said yesterday I decided it's now or never. So if I have gone mad.....I'm blaming you, it was your idea!

Seriously...thank you for saying what you did

Reactions: 4 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I love walking but I hate running /jogging , not because of the hard work , I hate the pounding in my ears boom boom noise.
I ve just had a lovely walk this morning , im lucky because the country is on my doorstep .
Day 35 complete and I can now say I'm 10 stone something.

Attachments

• 1403426110969.jpg
    1403426110969.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 1403426130066.jpg
    1403426130066.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 1403426154434.jpg
    1403426154434.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: 9 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love walking but I hate running /jogging , not because of the hard work , I hate the pounding in my ears boom boom noise.
I ve just had a lovely walk this morning , im lucky because the country is on my doorstep .
Day 35 complete and I can now say I'm 10 stone something.

You've done a great job Jamrox! Really proud of your achievement and the way you have motivated everyone else to improve their exercise regime.

Pre overweight days I did a lot of jogging (8-10 minute mile pace). I wouldn't say I enjoyed it because I found it boring. That may have had something to do with the limited route choice in the area I lived at the time. I did more as part of a fitness and stamina training regime for my squash game.

I'm back in my home town now and there is an infinite number of interesting walks on my doorstep. I can keep to the streets or be in the countryside within 5 minutes.

I tried to jog a little but found the pressure on my knees left them sore for a few days afterwards so I'm not going to compromise my exercise regime for the sake of a jog.

I also read somewhere on the forum that a good walk is very beneficial to lowering BG levels.

Lovely photos!!

Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, I've done 40 minutes ironing and emptied that laundry basket, so that's my lot for today. May go out for a long walk with hubby later today, he seems to think it's a good idea, but I did have other plans...so we'll see.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Nothing yesterday (driving home mostly) unless you count a gentle 10 min stroll each way to the pub in the evening.

Gardening today, and will get a session in on the rower later perhaps (weight same this morning as last week).

On jogging - I just think it's really really bad for the knees if we're overweight. I had a small meniscal tear in my knee about 18 months ago which has fortunately healed itself, but I'm not risking that. Walking at pace - fine; running properly (eventually, or not!) - fine; jogging - no thanks.

Gillie Ruth

Gardening, weeding, planting, pruning, so upside down I have indigestion ! 3 hours later, cleaning shower and spa, and no asthma from cleaner!
Then, blew it all and ate wrong things, anxiety per usual, but I'll try again tomorrow and rereading the positives on this blog, and behave myself with food, suppose I could be excused for eating junk on my birthday, but, well, me bad, but determined to keep going!

Reactions: 5 people