Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sunday was bath night.

and I was last to get in it :(

My mother would say she hardly ever seen use as kids on a weekend or in school holidays, we would be out playing all day or helping the local farmer with the potato picking, she said the only time we would come home was when we were hungry, so much as changed.........

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Reactions: 7 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Bread was delivered daily by a man in a little cubic van with double doors at the back. The whole thing was pulled by a horse. My brother was employed as "The Boy" on this van and sometimes he got permission for me to go for a ride. The smell of bread and horse seemed to be very natural and secure.

Looking back I wonder how I took it as so natural to ride around so close to a horse's **** but don't worry, my brother grew out of it.
My Grampa was a delivery driver for Bilsland's Bakery in Glasgow WITH A HORSE . Dragged him into the city as had been a stud goom with clydesdales.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Condensed milk sandwiches
Me and my sister huddling around the fireplace whilst mam rolled newspapers into firefighters.
Army blankets and coats on the beds in winter.

The nit nurse
Gas and air at the dentists

Reactions: 2 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the subject of pop the local delivery firm was Hague's owned by Williams mum and dad

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
golden syrup sandwiches!

Oh defo. That was my supper every night with my dad. On 2 slices of white bread (hand cut, not ready sliced) with lashings of butter and Lyles Golden Syrup. I could just eat one now.

Bubble gum machines outside the sweet shop, next to the cigarette machine. I got engaged when I was 10 with a ring from a bubble gum machine.

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Milk vending machines with those waxy triangular containers.

Gobstoppers and aniseed balls at 4 for a penny.

Threepenny bags of chips.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
All that time at school being made to believe there were 240 pennies in a pound and twelve inches in a foot and there were ... but then they changed their minds so ... all that learning was a complete waste of time!
Left in 68 they changed it in 71.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
C

chris lowe

The shop at the top of the road had and early version of a soda stream machine and you could have red, green or blue pop that tasted of nothing. Dad was a fisherman in his spare time so lots of cockles and winkles with loads of vinegar, pepper and bread and butter. Great fun flicking the black cap off the winkles and seeing how far they'd go. Sugar sandwiches, with or without bananas, Sunday was always jelly and tinned fruit. Loo was halfway up the garden and in winter we had to put a parafin heater in there to stop it freezing. Fresh vegetables from the garden. When it snowed we had to walk to school and I don't remember the buses and trains etc coming to a stop just because it was snowing. Skating on the millpond in front of the house. My brother sometimes helped the lady next door to get her car started with the starting handle and one of the cars dad had was a mechesmidt (is that how it's spelt?) shaped like a bullet, one seat in front and one seat behind that. Going for a ride on the back of his motorbike without a helmet and I was about 6 yrs old. Goodness me! How on earth did I manage to live this long?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
dammit i wished i was too young for most of this to ring a bell

i remember you used to get money back on the drinks bottles, we used to climb over the pub wall and steel a crate of bottles, then walk in through the front door and sell them back to the dude we stole them from, we used to go winkling and pick the eyes out, was great then but the thought creeps me out now, remember the door key hanging from a piece of string inside the letterbox

lots of awesome memories, what a great idea Jack

edit: we had a dude that came around the estate on a bike selling toffee apples yum

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I remember when the streets belonged to the kids.
The streets were where football tennis cricket were played.
Hide and sneak racing on foot or bike or ragga ... plank with four pram wheels ... but unimaginable and actually impossible now.
Those streets are now lined with millions of pounds worth of shiny sleek metal ... the streets belong to them now.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
peg guns! i cant imagine parents letting their kids make and fire peg guns at eachother (including me)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The shop at the top of the road had and early version of a soda stream machine and you could have red, green or blue pop that tasted of nothing. Dad was a fisherman in his spare time so lots of cockles and winkles with loads of vinegar, pepper and bread and butter. Great fun flicking the black cap off the winkles and seeing how far they'd go. Sugar sandwiches, with or without bananas, Sunday was always jelly and tinned fruit. Loo was halfway up the garden and in winter we had to put a parafin heater in there to stop it freezing. Fresh vegetables from the garden. When it snowed we had to walk to school and I don't remember the buses and trains etc coming to a stop just because it was snowing. Skating on the millpond in front of the house. My brother sometimes helped the lady next door to get her car started with the starting handle and one of the cars dad had was a mechesmidt (is that how it's spelt?) shaped like a bullet, one seat in front and one seat behind that. Going for a ride on the back of his motorbike without a helmet and I was about 6 yrs old. Goodness me! How on earth did I manage to live this long?
What happened there Chris?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Co-op in our village opened one day and had been converted to a self service. People did not have fridges and freezers at home and so went shopping most days. This meant wire baskets in the Co-op because trolleys were still in the distant future.

No-one explained how the shop was supposed to work and our neighbour arrived home complete with wire basket full of shopping asking how you were supposed to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The Co-op in our village opened one day and had been converted to a self service. People did not have fridges and freezers at home and so went shopping most days. This meant wire baskets in the Co-op because trollieys were still in the distant future.

No-one explained how the shop was supposed to work and our neighbour arrived home complete with wire basket full of shopping asking how you were supposed to pay for it.
I remember the first self service shops as they were known ... mini supermarkets with maybe two three isles.
A friends dad said ...
This proves we shouldn't have let the Yanks in here with their military ... they've conquered us without firing a shot . By the time you're grown up this country will have been totally Americanised ... bloody drive ins next you mark my word!
It had nothing to do with shopping convenience or good business practice just a totally huge political happening for him.