Needles

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Can any one tell me if the diabetic pens or needles hurt much,i am fast getting to the stage where I will be using them,thanks

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The most painful bit is the fear of it. There is usually a bit of pain, but it's not too bad at all. Sometimes I don't feel anything. I actually don't like that, because it makes it more likely I will forget I took it!

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin can burn if you inject straight from the fridge, so you should try take a new pen out of the fridge in advance (insulin pens you are using don't have to be kept in the fridge)

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
The most painful bit is the fear of it. There is usually a bit of pain, but it's not too bad at all. Sometimes I don't feel anything. I actually don't like that, because it makes it more likely I will forget I took it!

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Thanks for taking the time out to reply,all info is useful for me thanks.

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Thank you for telling me that,i didn't know that,thanks again.

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Yes,I am fearful of starting injections,i don't like needles at the best of times.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry, it's not that bad. Needles for pens are tiny so you usually don't feel the thing. When the time comes for you to start injecting your nurse should explain everything to you. If you have any questions she should help or just ask around here, someone for sure will help :)

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also,if you're horrified of needles and you'll not be able to use them, there are other options - like ports or inhalers, your nurse should be able to explain all that to you.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's right. But ports are available, so you only have to do one needle stick every few days to put the port in.
Hope it helps!

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
I use a Novamix30 pen. Originally prescribed with 6mm needles, my DN reduced that to 4mm. They are also very thin.

I don't feel the injections really at all - occasionally one of the testing pricks stings a finger, but it's quite rare.

J.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use 2 different needles I use the novo twist with novo rapid and Victoza and hardly ever feel the injection. But with lantus I use novo fine 5mm and I do fell that one

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi I have just read your message to another member,about a port,what is this.thanks

pipsy2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DIABETES
Hi again,I had just read on your post about in halers,what are these,i didn't think they were available yet.thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi again,I had just read on your post about in halers,what are these,i didn't think they were available yet.thanks

They have not yet come on the market, they call the inhalable insulin Afrezza and you should find some recent press coverage on the Internet.