Would I be mad to do this?

lynbrown

I am T2, on tabs and insulin. I get so fed up with choosing food and trying to find something tasty. I am sick to death of pasta and potatoes. I yearn for some chips, proper ones, like the ones I used to do in a chip pan. Would it be totally mad to buy a chip pan for the occasional treat?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am T2, on tabs and insulin. I get so fed up with choosing food and trying to find something tasty. I am sick to death of pasta and potatoes. I yearn for some chips, proper ones, like the ones I used to do in a chip pan. Would it be totally mad to buy a chip pan for the occasional treat?

For me personally, deep fried chips are fine, as are spuds roasted, but only 6 or 7 chips, and only 2 roasties. The fat makes them lower GI so spikes are lower if a little more elongated.

Have you been told to eat pasta?

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
You probably don't want me to suggest a chip substitute, but I really really miss chips too. But, I recently discovered frozen butternut squash from waitrose and if you roast in some oil, it is the closest I have found to remind me of chips. I am sure you could also deep fry them if you really wanted to get a chip pan. if I got a chip pan though, I would find it very difficult to avoid temptation - out of sight, out of mind and all that!
Hope this helps

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Roasted sweet potato, as has been said the fat content lowers the GI and the sweet potato is also lower GI to start with

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, Pasta and potatoes are not much different than chips. I think mash may be worse than chips.
mash is basically a blob of hydrated starch, easily absorbed.

For me, I have to be careful with roasties, I've gone with the expected carb content and ended up hypo 2 hours later

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

If you can handle pasta and potatoes (bg wise) then it's a fair bet that you'll be able to handle chips, if you inject insulin before meals then do be careful, the fat content of a meal including chips can slow down the absorption of the carbs, which can lead to hypo's.

A

AnnieC

Chips are my guilty pleasure so I just have to have them sometimes. My last chips were last week when in Nandos I had a Mediterranian salad with feta cheese olives and and chicken good choice but I just could not resist some chips to go with it....naughty but oh so nice

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never stopped eating chips. I have them about 3 times a week, but always deep fried home made ones (so I know what sort of oil they are cooked in) and by testing them out with my meter I knew I was safe BS wise with a small handful. As my weight has dropped and my insulin resistance has improved, I now find I can manage up to 10 chips. Of course I include them in my carb and calorie counting.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually had few chips at lunch time today (150g oven chips) one spam fritter and 100g of frozen peas. Bg was 4.7 before. At 60 mins was 9.7, 75 mins 11.2, 90 mins 11.6, 120 mins 10.4, 180 mins 4.7. will not be eating that again. I have no idea why it went so high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually had few chips at lunch time today (150g oven chips) one spam fritter and 100g of frozen peas. Bg was 4.7 before. At 60 mins was 9.7, 75 mins 11.2, 90 mins 11.6, 120 mins 10.4, 180 mins 4.7. will not be eating that again. I have no idea why it went so high.

The 100g of peas won't have helped, and 150g of chips is a huge portion.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You lot make me very jealous going on about chips! Are you sure that this isn't a wind up?

Isn't this supposed to be about alternatives to chips?

Here I am posting about chips with a salad in front of me. Have you no respect?

Why do I have write chips in every sentence?

Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would go to the Dr, you might be a diabetic :bag:

Reactions: 5 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you skip pasta that is notoriously bad for diabetics along with the potatoes that are bad too and you don't seem to like them much anyway I am sure a few chips would be a gain provided you only have them once in a while.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's t
I actually had few chips at lunch time today (150g oven chips) one spam fritter and 100g of frozen peas. Bg was 4.7 before. At 60 mins was 9.7, 75 mins 11.2, 90 mins 11.6, 120 mins 10.4, 180 mins 4.7. will not be eating that again. I have no idea why it went so high.[/QUOTE
It's the chips! You are diabetic! The starch and the carbs turn to sugar!!!!!!!!!!!

Temptation bout to get you! Lol!