Room 101 (like the TV prog)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't be bothered reading through 70 pages...

If no one else has put him/her/it in, then I'm throwing 'God' to the lions
You trying to kill off this thread? Thumbs down from me.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can I shove energy saving light bulbs into Room 101?

There was a time when a bulb would pop and you just grabbed a new 60W bayonet cap and in 10 seconds, job done. Now I have to take the light bulb out shopping with me to make sure I buy the right "equivalent wattage" with the correct fitting on the bottom. I live in a town with 1 huge supermarket and if it doesn't stock what I need I have to order on line or take a drive - for a light bulb! I have a cupboard in my kitchen that is filled with spare bulbs for the fittings in the house. They take up too much space and I've had to label the boxes - it's ridiculous!!! :banghead:
Yes.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nah.

I don't think (if God exists) that human minds are capable of understanding he/she/it.

I mean, can an ant comprehend the scope of the rain forest? I mean totally understand the whole climate, geography, ecosystem, chemical structure and play of light on every raindrop. Simultaneously. In its subtle, vast, complexity?

And if an ant can't do that, then a human brain can't comprehend the scope of the multiverse, can it?

So I plead ignorance, and agnosticism, and think that condemning he/she/it for things beyond my limited comprehension, is rather like saying 'I blame the sky for my ingrowing toenail'.

Religion, on the other hand...
Well, religion does work on a fallible, ignorant, prejudiced, brutal, bigoted and inane level.
I'd like to see most world religions disappear into the black hole at the back of 101 faster than I can think the thought.

Religious dogma, yes

Faith and hope no.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want to shove in the local water board, every time they do work on the mains pipes up town we end up with dirty brown water, ok so we flush the pipes but we always end up with grit in the pipes which travels up to the tank in the loft, and yet again we are going to have to get a plumber in to sort out the ball **** in the tank, grrrr, have been on to the water company they say its a few months since we did the work it can't be us, what they tend to forget is we are the last of the line and it takes time for their rotten grit to get to us.

Yes, and it is a bu**er if you don't notice and run the washing machine. Unless of course you want all your laundry to be a sh1tty brown colour.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unless I can be grumpy that I cannot find the 010 thread.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Not quite on the same astral plane as Conrad, I've got a couple of nominations -

The first we've all seen probably almost daily, I hadn't given it much thought until the other day. I bought a packet of pastrami, it was in a see-through plastic packet and I could clearly see the delicious, succulent pastrami through it. On the front of the packet was a picture of a beautifully prepared French stick with perfectly symmetrical and beautifully folded pastrami, salad and what looked like mayonnaise. Below the picture was my nomination -
"Serving Suggestion". Excuse me?
Before this phrase was printed were there people in our society who opened the (see-through) packet and were disappointed that there was no French stick et al in there? Were these companies inundated with calls from people saying "I don't understand the picture on the front"? Patronising and unnecessary and on every bit of food packaging with a picture on the front, please put it in.

The second is, and I'm amazed this hasn't been nominated before (apologies if it has!), self-service checkouts, not in their entirety as they're actually quite useful but the "unexpected item" situation. Shopping for some dinner ingredients yesterday everything was going swimmingly until I scanned the finely chopped plum tomatoes. The screen kindly informed me that I had scanned finely chopped plum tomatoes, that the item weighed 400g and that it was 39p, I put it in the bag and then I'm told "unexpected item in the bagging area". Huh? You've just told me what it is, what were you expecting? The pimply faced, patronising checkout captain (maybe they should go in too) came over, and after trying several times himself, had to swipe his magic card to tell the self-checkout that all was ok and I wasn't trying to steal something. Surely in these days of advanced technology we can have a self-checkout that recognises what's just been scanned has been put in the bag?

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not quite on the same astral plane as Conrad, I've got a couple of nominations -

The first we've all seen probably almost daily, I hadn't given it much thought until the other day. I bought a packet of pastrami, it was in a see-through plastic packet and I could clearly see the delicious, succulent pastrami through it. On the front of the packet was a picture of a beautifully prepared French stick with perfectly symmetrical and beautifully folded pastrami, salad and what looked like mayonnaise. Below the picture was my nomination -
"Serving Suggestion". Excuse me?
Before this phrase was printed were there people in our society who opened the (see-through) packet and were disappointed that there was no French stick et al in there? Were these companies inundated with calls from people saying "I don't understand the picture on the front"? Patronising and unnecessary and on every bit of food packaging with a picture on the front, please put it in.

The second is, and I'm amazed this hasn't been nominated before (apologies if it has!), self-service checkouts, not in their entirety as they're actually quite useful but the "unexpected item" situation. Shopping for some dinner ingredients yesterday everything was going swimmingly until I scanned the finely chopped plum tomatoes. The screen kindly informed me that I had scanned finely chopped plum tomatoes, that the item weighed 400g and that it was 39p, I put it in the bag and then I'm told "unexpected item in the bagging area". Huh? You've just told me what it is, what were you expecting? The pimply faced, patronising checkout captain (maybe they should go in too) came over, and after trying several times himself, had to swipe his magic card to tell the self-checkout that all was ok and I wasn't trying to steal something. Surely in these days of advanced technology we can have a self-checkout that recognises what's just been scanned has been put in the bag?
I'm so glad you're back.
And on such form!

Yes to both.

:happy:

Reactions: 3 people

Otherhalf

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not enough open checkouts in supermarket , then having to use self serve always goes wrong and takes ages!
Being chugged by a charity collection in the street , I give to charities , don't like being bullied and harassed.!
Booking a taxi to get to station or important appointment which is badly late.!

Being asked by Drs receptionists to describe my symptoms before I can get appointment !

Lol stop me now !

Reactions: 2 people