Pre-diabetes

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a an indisputable fact that thousands of patients are misdiagnosed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

With what?

Your HbA1c was 57, which equates to 9.1mmol/l. If this test was accurate, then for 2 to 3 months prior to the test your levels averaged 9.1. That to me, is high, as you must have had some very high spikes. It is possible to get levels right down in a very short time on a strict very low carb diet, and it could be that is what happened in your case.

Why do you want to be re-diagnosed as pre-diabetic? What difference would it make? Do you see Type 2 as a stigma?

If you are so concerned that you were mis-diagnosed, ask your doctor for an OGT or some other similar test and discuss it with him.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Is there any research that would support this?

You might find this addresses some of your questions:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

and

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19060174.php

I was misdiagnosed, but as prediabetic, rather than correctly as diabetic.

A very simple way to see if you are still a type 2 diabetic would be to measure your blood sugar about every half hour throughout the day whilst eating the kind of high carb meals the government says people should eat to be healthy. Plot up your results and compare your graph to the ones in the links above and the answer will be obvious.

Are you sure that 57 equals 9.1 mmol?
Conversion tool:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Reactions: 4 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I was 7.4% DCCT - am slightly confused.
I need to contact the surgery I think.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

It probably is indisputable.

There's about 3.8m diagnosed as diabetic in the UK.
1000 would be .026%, 10,000 would be 0.26%

Even a 3 sigma distribution would mean 99.7% of the diagnosis made were correct.

But, it also means you're very unlikely to be one on the misdiagnosed, and those odds aren't worth taking a bet on.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your probably right Douglas99
but 100,000 is a lot of people...
Half of that 100,000 although "wrongly diagnosed", it is their classification which is wrong. I do accept there are quite a number diagnosed t2 who are LADA or T1.5.

So, what percentage does that make it?

But, more seriously, I'm never comfortable using a newspaper article as supporting evidence. Reduced fat, anyone?

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes it does suit me Douglas, and your strategy is also spiffing for you, it seems. Irrespective of my status on the diabetic register, my HbA1cs were to be reduced to annual in any case, so I was never going to have the same regularity of tests you have scheduled; now have I ever had test strips etc.

I am confident that if I have any concerns whatsoever that I will have access to medical help. I am sensible enough not to bury my head in the sand if I perceive an issue.

I haven't heard the word 'spiffing' for many a year now, we're showing our age if we're not careful :).

I'm not saying you won't have access to medical help, I'm saying not all of us would be afforded, or able to afford the same if we didn't still have a 'chronic' disease on our label.
I've had MRI's, (preceded by an X ray of my eye balls, weirdly enough), to investigate abnormal sleeping patterns. I had an endoscopy for bowl polyps ordered by the consultant at the hospital. It was after a floater I noticed on Sunday, a self referred visit to the optometrist on Monday, his referral to my doctor, who ordered an emergency referral to the nearest hospital consultant on Wednesday. (a clear bill of health on both counts, (or ends :) )).

Maybe it's me, but there is no way on earth I would have made the links, or been able to afford the cost of those investigations. You have your lifestyle, and your attitude to your condition works for you. As I've always said though, we have to treat diabetes in a way that suits us individually, and I, personally, am diabetic, and my lifestyle works well incorporating being diabetic.
I would be worse off if decreased the support I get, as I'm part of the team that manages my diabetes, and I will admit I don't ignore what they tell me, and between us all we've got the results.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
@VINNY James

A couple thoughts reading this thread;

I think the classification of diabetes using prediabetic etc is arcane and as someone said it should be classified as cancers ie stage 1 , stage 2 , stage 3, stage 4

If some how I went back in time and was classified as prediabetic instead of diabetic how would that change my life today?

Based upon what I've learned over the last 1.5 years, the only thing that would change would be I would not be using insulin ( for me not a big deal ). Everything else I do exactly the same.

Trying to find the universal force theory for diabetes is useless at best. It is such an incredibly complex disease in itself and that is before you add individual variations to the mix.

Think of it like a factorial 5! is only 120 permutations. By adding just 3 more variables to 8! you now have 40,000+ permutations.

Lastly IMO take this diagnosis as a gift. No matter what label or what your scores you have been for warned that you like perhaps 1/3 of the worlds population do not process high density carbohydrates properly.

In so many cases with exercise, not gaining excess weigh and eating lower carbo meals you can have a healthy long life.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Half of that 100,000 although "wrongly diagnosed", it is their classification which is wrong. I do accept there are quite a number diagnosed t2 who are LADA or T1.5.

So, what percentage does that make it?

But, more seriously, I'm never comfortable using a newspaper article as supporting evidence. Reduced fat, anyone?

1.3%
(just under 2.5 sigma)

Last edited by a moderator:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought I was 7.4% DCCT - am slightly confused.
I need to contact the surgery I think.
7,4% = 57,4 mmol/mol hba1c equivalent to average glucose level of 9.2 mmol over previous three months

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1417721616.448076.jpg

Diabetes is diagnosed at 6,5%

Assuming no error in hba1c you are definitely diabetic

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
You might find this addresses some of your questions:

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

and

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19060174.php

I was misdiagnosed, but as prediabetic, rather than correctly as diabetic.

A very simple way to see if you are still a type 2 diabetic would be to measure your blood sugar about every half hour throughout the day whilst eating the kind of high carb meals the government says people should eat to be healthy. Plot up your results and compare your graph to the ones in the links above and the answer will be obvious.

Conversion tool:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
Another simple way to test is to do your own Glucose tolerance test.

Here is how.
Get 75 or 100/grams of glucose tabs and mix it in water ( starting at 5am ). Drink it all and then test yourself every 15 minutes for 4 hours ( at Hospital its 3 hours )

Testing every 15 minutes is overkill but it smooths out the data in case of miss readings - be sure to wash your hands before each test and during the 3 to 4 hours just sit and read something.

Afterwards graph the data points and you will get a vary good reading of where you are in comparison