urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Interesting isn't it. I'm not using statins (yet) myself and would we worried if I was prescribed them.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Andrew.

An excellent article, in my view. He agrees with me. ;)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read the article when it originally came out and it helped me decide that, given the problems I had with the Pravostatin, I would not take them again.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Saw that article last week and glad I did as it convinced me to stop taking statins

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes thanks for that. I've run our of statins and somehow haven't got round to renewing the scrip. I was hovering on the fence until I read the above article. I think I'll carry on taking a little aspirin, maybe every other day. I have atrial fib.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I have refused statins for years. Even a cardiologist told me, 'don't take those .. .terrible things .. just you wait and see, in 10 years time all this statin use will come crashing down around our ears!'

Same goes for calcium ... Endo told me to stop taking calcium supplements as it can lead to calcification of the heart muscle.

Reactions: 2 people

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Interesting article but it would have been good to hear what his cholesterol levels are now for comparison.

I stopped statins for two months and my levels went up to 10, after a month back on statins they were 4.5 so for me it is necessary to carry on or is the author saying that his level of 9 is of no consequence?

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Very interesting article....I stopped simvastatin because of problems with them a few years ago and have been offered atvorstatin last year....I wavered for ages and had almost decided to take them but my gut instinct told me not to, they stayed in the cupboard.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting indeed, he took the statin and it lowered his cholesterol levels, now he follows a normal diet and his cholesterol levels have stayed low, can't say I've ever read that you must avoid red meat, eggs or full fat milk completely, I love it when he says:

''Not that I cared about any of this.''

Right, so why did you take the statin in the first place :D

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Confirms most of what i thought about statins , I stopped taking mine back in sept 14, and my aches and pains stopped.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped statins for two months and my levels went up to 10, after a month back on statins they were 4.5 so for me it is necessary to carry on or is the author saying that his level of 9 is of no consequence?
Ay, there's the rub! My sister-in-law has had cholesterol levels around 11 for years, takes no statins, and walks up and down mountains. Well, you have to where she lives (Norway) if you want to go anywhere. So what's a healthy cholesterol number?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting indeed, he took the statin and it lowered his cholesterol levels, now he follows a normal diet and his cholesterol levels have stayed low, can't say I've ever read that you must avoid red meat, eggs or full fat milk completely, I love it when he says:

''Not that I cared about any of this.''

Right, so why did you take the statin in the first place :D
Lol.

I think you need to read the article again.

His low cholesterol 3 months after stopping the statins is clearly low carb, with enough fat. He makes specific reference to a high saturated animal fat intake and . (Hardly a 'normal' NHS approved diet in the uk today, although thankfully becoming more common.)

And when he says 'not that I cared...' He is referring to the lipid profile breakdown.
And he's right. Recent thinking is that the lipid profile is largely unhelpful.

He goes on to explain exactly why he thinks cholesterol has been a scapegoat for too long.

I think it's a great article. Written in a way that gets the point across without using labels like LCHF, which would set off the usual irrational knee jerk reactions.

I also love the picture. The man is clearly glowing with health. It's a feature I've noticed with several LC(HF) lecturers and speakers. They always look so well.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lol.

His low cholesterol 3 months after stopping the statins is clearly low carb, with enough fat. He makes specific reference to a high saturated animal fat intake and . (Hardly a 'normal' NHS approved diet in the uk today, although thankfully becoming more common.)

And when he says 'not that I cared...' He is referring to the lipid profile breakdown.

He goes on to explain exactly why he thinks cholesterol has been a scapegoat for too long.

I think it's a great article. Written in a way that gets the point across without using labels like LCHF, which would set off the usual irrational knee jerk reactions.

I also love the picture. The man is clearly glowing with health. It's a feature I've noticed with several LC(HF) lecturers and speakers. They always look so well.

I've reread it and see no reference to a LCHF diet, I don't follow a LCHF diet and eat butter, red meat and eggs and don't have any issues with my cholesterol levels, my brother took a statin for a few years after being diagnosed with a TC of 9, he has stopped it after getting his TC down into the 3's and maintains it by eating a well balanced diet together with regular exercise.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Lol.

I'm with him ..... that's enough for me :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've reread it and see no reference to a LCHF diet, I don't follow a LCHF diet and eat butter, red meat and eggs and don't have any issues with my cholesterol levels, my brother took a statin for a few years after being diagnosed with a TC of 9, he has stopped it after getting his TC down into the 3's and maintains it by eating a well balanced diet together with regular exercise.

And now you need to read my post again.

The bit where I said he hadn't mentioned LCHF but was clearly following it.

Here, I'll quote it for you:
'The only major changes I’d made to my lifestyle since coming off statins were eliminating sugar (including alcohol and starchy foods such as bread) and eating more animal fat.'

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have refused statins for years. Even a cardiologist told me, 'don't take those .. .terrible things .. just you wait and see, in 10 years time all this statin use will come crashing down around our ears!'

Same goes for calcium ... Endo told me to stop taking calcium supplements as it can lead to calcification of the heart muscle.

:eek: I take Calcium tablets, twice a day , Adcal - D3, on prescription for Osteoporosis, diagnosed 2 months after being diagnosed with Coeliac.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
And now you need to read my post again.

The bit where I said he hadn't mentioned LCHF but was clearly following it.

Here, I'll quote it for you:
'The only major changes I’d made to my lifestyle since coming off statins were eliminating sugar (including alcohol and starchy foods such as bread) and eating more animal fat.'

I expect he is now just eating a normal diet and avoiding low-fat products, much like all of us do, hope his good progress continues and his cholesterol levels remain stable :)