Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

@cold ethyl and @kimbo1962 - sorry to hear you both had a bad night..... hope the day improves for both of you. I think my lower fasting today was because I had a better night than usual - and just on toilet trip in the night despite a big latte at bedtime (soya milk of course) that was fully caffeinated

Take care girls

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Big well done on the hba1c CE!! Sorry to hear you are struggling in other ways though. Sounds like you have stumbled across a gem in the doctor, hope you get to stick with her now. Try and keep warm and hope things improve.
Lousy day here and terrible night for my daughter....never rains but pours!

Thanks .. Yes she was so lovely .. Laughed and called me naughty for having a meter and said please don't stress about BS - when I explained it helps me feel on top of it all she said fine, but don't let worry control your life as the numbers were normal now and that fat loss was the key. Sorry to hear about your daughter. Anxiety is s a terrible thing and makes everything a thousand times worse.. I'm sure the pain I've got isn't as bad as it feels to me but is amplified by the constant dread and panic I have about it.. So if she is expecting to feel bad and gets a strange pain or feeling or thought, the rollercoaster just sets off and it is so hard to apply the brakes. Awful for a young person - I've been there with my son, myself and my mum so you have my every sympathy.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BT

My portion sizes are not massive, 4 mushrooms in the morning a bowl of soup or a small bowl of lentils or chicken, they are not laced with fat to be honest as I am gaining weight so reduced butter in them but with such low car and medium fat I expected to loose a little so came down to soups now which has 1 scraping of butter for 3 or 4 times of soup and low carb too
As far as starvation mode is concerned I should still be able to loose weight on that shouldnt I
My stomach is rock hard may be coz of metformin and my eyes are burning and since I am into IT this does not help a bit as I am staring into the screen all day long but I increased from one screen to two to reduce the strain.
I called the GP yesterday and I told him I need appointment as my eyes are burning and my stomach is very hard, they said closest is after 3 weeks coz next two weeks are completely booked.
I also thought few weeks ago I might have IBS as i have pain in stomach and I wanted to get the slow release version of metformin but docs in my area are too busy, they do not want to give appointment for the third week and they do not have anything available for next two.

You are not eating enough! When our bodies go in to starvation mode we stop losing weight to preserve energy. If you are thinking about people with eating disorders that starve themselves and go very thin, this is different and dangerous. They are not eating anything and what energy they have is coming from their muscles, which their bodies break down for energy as a last resort.

I think you need to start calorie counting. Find out from My Fitness Pal what your body needs by way of calories and how many you need to lose a couple of pounds a week, then eat those calories from extra fat and protein.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi BT

My portion sizes are not massive, 4 mushrooms in the morning a bowl of soup or a small bowl of lentils or chicken, they are not laced with fat to be honest as I am gaining weight so reduced butter in them but with such low car and medium fat I expected to loose a little so came down to soups now which has 1 scraping of butter for 3 or 4 times of soup and low carb too
As far as starvation mode is concerned I should still be able to loose weight on that shouldnt I
My stomach is rock hard may be coz of metformin and my eyes are burning and since I am into IT this does not help a bit as I am staring into the screen all day long but I increased from one screen to two to reduce the strain.
I called the GP yesterday and I told him I need appointment as my eyes are burning and my stomach is very hard, they said closest is after 3 weeks coz next two weeks are completely booked.
I also thought few weeks ago I might have IBS as i have pain in stomach and I wanted to get the slow release version of metformin but docs in my area are too busy, they do not want to give appointment for the third week and they do not have anything available for next two.

Hi @brettza I'm having similar problems, my carbs are usually no more that 60-70g daily, and after initially loosing 9lbs my weight loss has stopped. My fat intake is usually greater than 50% on a daily intake. @bluetit1802 how much fat should I be consuming? And in what form?

Brettza, sorry if this is a bit indelicate, but are you constipated? This might account for the hard stomach. Also, it might be worth investing in some lubricating eye drops or eye spray to ease the soreness. Metformin was poison for me, and I was eventually taken off it as there were too many side effects.

Reactions: 5 people
S

Sable_Jan

Hi @brettza I'm having similar problems, my carbs are usually no more that 60-70g daily, and after initially loosing 9lbs my weight loss has stopped. My fat intake is usually greater than 50% on a daily intake. @bluetit1802 how much fat should I be consuming? And in what form?

Brettza, sorry if this is a bit indelicate, but are you constipated? This might account for the hard stomach. Also, it might be worth investing in some lubricating eye drops or eye spray to ease the soreness. Metformin was poison for me, and I was eventually taken off it as there were too many side effects.
Glad you asked the question about constipation, I was going to mention it but called away by the postman.....test strips off eBay.... @brettza - you can eat loads more veg that would help you feel fuller and also help with "digestive transit" as one yoghurt advert so delicately puts it. Do it gradually if you aren't used to lots to let your system get used to it.....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @brettza I'm having similar problems, my carbs are usually no more that 60-70g daily, and after initially loosing 9lbs my weight loss has stopped. My fat intake is usually greater than 50% on a daily intake. @bluetit how much fat should I be consuming? And in what form?

Maybe 1800 calories is too much? Have you checked on-line to see what your personal requirements are? My Fitness Pal will tell you. You did say you were eating a massive amount of flaxseed a day - lots of calories and fat in that.

Also, you are on insulin? That doesn't help so I believe.

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just seen prof and asthma nurse i AM been DISCHARGED later after physio with new meds and oxygen concentrator for use over night about 10hrs a day. LET ME. OUT OF HERE :):):):):):):):):):) Blood results sugar this morning 6.9
The best news!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yes indeed! Thank you.

I hope you have a good date and lunch on Sunday. I'm finding I'm now able to reintroduce a few carbs around lunchtime very occasionally without spiking. I hope you can too with your fab results. You'll have dates beating a path to your door with your weightloss!

Is that you Diana? What's with the name change?

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Not enough time at Paddington to eat, not without getting a later train anyway, but lo and behold my train had the Pullman diner service so I thought s0d this I'm treating myself. Dining on a train is one of life's great experiences, I do the evening one sometimes but not the lunch before. Scallops followed by fillet steak and cabbage braised with butter and cumin (delicious, I must try that at home) and cheese. I won't need much for dinner now! Saving wine for later when I get home, Mrs Sanguine's birthday was on Sunday while I was away, so some catching up to do.

Reactions: 9 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Pavlosdog

I am constipated but I think I expect it to happen as I am only having so little to eat I don't feel the need to go to the loo everyday. To be honest I could go upto 4 days at times.
Any eye drops you could suggest or someone who is going through this might suggest.
I might have to talk to my doc about met coz I never ever had these problems before and all of them started as soon as I started taking met.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on the HbA1c @cold ethyl
I had the same problem with the metformin. Although mine was almost immediate due to not having a spleen. I tried to persevere but had to come off it within a week. I worried the same as you though, as to what damage had been done, and for a few months afterwards.
Hope you are well soon and that the pains stop asap!
But again, congratulations :D:cool:;):):happy::headphone::hilarious::playful: on that 5.8

Thanks. I've persevered as long as I could and gave the SR a few weeks too - so glad I spoke to the nice GP as mine just said a bit of tingling is nothing when I'd already said I can't sleep for the pain. I've read some folk say it can be months till it is completely out of system but hopefully not xxx

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pavlosdog

I am constipated but I think I expect it to happen as I am only having so little to eat I don't feel the need to go to the loo everyday. To be honest I could go upto 4 days at times.
Any eye drops you could suggest or someone who is going through this might suggest.
I might have to talk to my doc about met coz I never ever had these problems before and all of them started as soon as I started taking met.

Do have a chat with your doctor about the Metformin . It's great drug when it works but isn't as benign as they like to make out. What sort of dose are you taking?

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

Hi Pavlosdog

Defo increase your veggies then..... lots to choose from :) - I can make a meal of veggies - I used to love spuds and carrots with lots of butter and grated cheese though obvs not a good choice now. Lots of veggies are nice just plainly cooked with butter and cheese on top... to me anyhow :hungry::hungry:
Actimist spray my friend liked - not cheap but he hates eye drops

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Defo increase your veggies then..... lots to choose from :) - I can make a meal of veggies - I used to love spuds and carrots with lots of butter and grated cheese though obvs not a good choice now. Lots of veggies are nice just plainly cooked with butter and cheese on top... to me anyhow :hungry::hungry:
Actimist spray my friend liked - not cheap but he hates eye drops
I do try to eat as many as I can but then again what I love is what I cant eat and that is not potatoes as never liked them too much but carrots I love and I cant eat I mean in limits ok but not as much as I want. I am having mushrooms everyday, I will try and increase the veggies more, Unfortunately due to it being so cold I have stopped salad which used to be a bowl full but might have to restart it again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do try to eat as many as I can but then again what I love is what I cant eat and that is not potatoes as never liked them too much but carrots I love and I cant eat I mean in limits ok but not as much as I want. I am having mushrooms everyday, I will try and increase the veggies more, Unfortunately due to it being so cold I have stopped salad which used to be a bowl full but might have to restart it again.

I am not a veggie lover. I only like carrots, peas and a small amount of cauli. I overdose now on mushrooms cooked in butter and I still eat carrots once a week, and peas a few times a week for the other good nutrients they contain. Last night I had a chip shop battered cod and mushy peas with acceptable results at 2 hours and back to normal half an hour after that. The fat from the fish and the fibre in the peas helped. I also am stille ating salads at lunch times - just had one on this freezing cold day. It's only in our minds that we need hot food. We don't. It all turns to the same temperature once in our system!

Reactions: 8 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can always add some warm ingredients to a salad if you feel you need it in this weather. Hot bacon, slivers of chicken or chorizo or sausages. Poached egg on top of some bitter leaves is lovely.

Reactions: 8 people
Status
Not open for further replies.