New forum improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

catherinecherub

But people post in the wrong boards all the time. I never look in the individual boards unless I start a thread. I just use Recent Posts.
I can see recent posts if I am not logged on but cannot see that heading if I am.

C

catherinecherub

The above post does not appear (for me) in New Posts. I have to go to General Chat to see it.

C

catherinecherub

The above post does not appear (for me) in New Posts. I have to go to General Chat to see it.
@Giverny?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
........ and the Recent posts are now hard work. Previously the whole line went unbold after you read it, Now the last poster's name on the right of the page goes unbold, but not the title or OP on the left of the page. This means you can't skim down the list with your eyes, you have to read across the page with each thread.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

So if these posts above have been made within the last 7 minutes why are they not showing up as new posts?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
When I look at the headings now there is no Recent Posts only New Posts and Unanswered ones. I recently made a post so it must be recent;);)
but it does not show as a new post.
confused.com

Yes, see #334. You only now see Recent Posts if you select New Posts and it becomes an option further down and to the right. And it's not consistent as I previously pointed out.

Whilst I see the need for upgrades and that it can be a thankless task for administrators, there do seem to be a number of changes being made for the sake of change which are messing up things that worked fine before.

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
........ and the Recent posts are now hard work. Previously the whole line went unbold after you read it, Now the last poster's name on the right of the page goes unbold, but not the title or OP on the left of the page. This means you can't skim down the list with your eyes, you have to read across the page with each thread.

Yes, this really bothers me too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Recent posts have gone now ? went out, just returned home and now it's New posts:wideyed:

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
To get to recent posts you have to click on new posts and it's lower down on the right.

C

catherinecherub

Thanks to @sanguine.

RRB, click on new posts.
You will see a green oblong with Mark Forums Read at the top right, above the posts and next to that is an oblong, very pale and uninteresting, that says Recent Posts.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am finding keeping signing in a bit of a pest, I was writing a reply and suddenly it went back to the ordinary page and I had to sign in again, this happened 4 times in the matter of 10 mins, aggravating

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding keeping signing in a bit of a pest, I was writing a reply and suddenly it went back to the ordinary page and I had to sign in again, this happened 4 times in the matter of 10 mins, aggravating

Oh I get that too. I have mentioned it to @Giverny a week or two ago. Very annoying. It started about 2 weeks ago, before the upgrade. As I never log out, and the stay logged in box is ticked, I have no idea why it keeps happening.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I get that too. I have mentioned it to @Giverny a week or two ago. Very annoying. It started about 2 weeks ago, before the upgrade. As I never log out, and the stay logged in box is ticked, I have no idea why it keeps happening.

I reckon their picking on us, no I'm just glad its not only me, not that I wish you problems

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Hi all - looking in to the issues mentioned.. it does take some time and there is no instant fix for these issues so I ask that you all please remain patient while I investigate.

I'm currently looking in to fixes for the following:
  • New posts - the functionality of this has changed since the update, and I am trying to find a way to restore this
  • Clicking a new post takes you to the OP rather than the latest post in the thread
  • Threads stay bold even when marked as read
  • Investigate issue with people being logged out over and over (I have a feeling this happens when we refresh user cache, which is a necessary evil unfortunately)
  • Other misc aesthetic issues

Please let me know of any other issues that I've missed.

Reactions: 7 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - looking in to the issues mentioned.. it does take some time and there is no instant fix for these issues so I ask that you all please remain patient while I investigate.

I'm currently looking in to fixes for the following:
  • New posts - the functionality of this has changed since the update, and I am trying to find a way to restore this
  • Clicking a new post takes you to the OP rather than the latest post in the thread
  • Threads stay bold even when marked as read
  • Investigate issue with people being logged out over and over (I have a feeling this happens when we refresh user cache, which is a necessary evil unfortunately)
  • Other misc aesthetic issues

Please let me know of any other issues that I've missed.
Yes, the linking of threads to Facebook. This has been discussed on another thread but still awaiting reply. Thanks.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Yes, the linking of threads to Facebook. This has been discussed on another thread but still awaiting reply. Thanks.
Hi danny - this thread is only for dealing with technical issues.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Just a reminder as still not heard on other thread.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My post turned up on recent posts before new posts?
CAROL

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah there's quite a lot of preparation and testing that's gone in to it and we're already slightly behind schedule with the blog system. Glad you understand :)

Very much agreed. And this was a feature that people had actively asked for some time ago, so hopefully it'll mean that people no longer need to spend a whole lot of time and energy guessing why a thread was closed or who to contact about it :lock:

@Giverny - Has this forum amend gone wrong? I note that @Administrator locked a thread, and I can tell the time, but I don't see any dialogue box, as described. Obviously the post explained the position regarding regarding Facebook, but nowhere does it state a reason the thread has been closed to new replies.

Please understand, this post is not made to be disruptive, but to illustrate where, in my view, there is an inconsistency in the cessation of thread activity, or maybe my recollection of what I saw, on another thread,(which I can't find this morning, is flawed.

Thanks.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Giverny I was going to PM you about this but decided it should be said publicly.

As you know we had a thread (now closed) re the linking of threads to Facebook. Several of us expressed a dislike of this practice. I understand that you personally are not in control of what happens on Facebook and accept this.

I would like to say that I find the new practice of displaying the new profile posts so publicly on the forum home page now to be disturbing: several of us complained because we didn't like Facebook, now the forum has become more like Facebook! That seems like a kick in the teeth for those of us who expressed our opinion on that closed thread (who together have posted many thousands of messages on this forum).

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.