Ditching my meter

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After a long think I've decided to put my meter and testing paraphernalia to the back of the cupboard.

Since Christmas I've been 'cheating to my meter.'

In other words I'm using my low scores to take the opportunity to 'treat' myself to chocolate bars and biscuits which has resulted in massive sugar cravings.

My meter has been great in identifying what foods spike me but it can stay in the cupboard now except for when trying out new foods.

Has anybody any similar experiences to this?

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Not quite the same ....but don't test all,the time ....
I support those type 2 and everyone who needs to or have chosen to ...but I don't at the moment ....

I keep my diet balanced to suit myself ....have very regular hba tests ...about 6 times a year ...
I sort of know my own body at the moment ...

Not saying it was like this to begin with ...
And it may not stay this way ,,but just for the moment that is how it is ....kat

Reactions: 2 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm still fairly new to keeping my blood sugars in control and whilst I seem to be doing really well at the moment I am not yet ready to stop the testing, even though I am eating tried and tested meals. But I can see how this can start to effect your life and be a hindrance rather than a good thing. If I take my BS and see I am really low - I often have something extra without actually needing it. So I think there will come a time in most T2's lives where the meter can be put away and only used when trying something new or if you need to check you are on track.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
If I get a low reading I don't go 'Hey I can have a treat of something carby or sweet' - I go 'great a low reading, keep it up!'. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I get a low reading after a meal I do sometimes allow myself a treat, however I then test 1 and 2 hours after the treat and sometimes that one reminds me why it has to be only an occasional treat. What I have to watch is the low carb treats, I have become quite good at low carb baking, cakes and rock buns while very nice and not putting my BS up much have not been helping my waste line since Christmas. I could easily fall back into the constant snacking between meals so my meter has to be a constant companion.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm more with Sanguine on this one. As my readings came down, I revelled in that, and now I'm keen to keep them there. If I have a higher than usual reading, I don't starve myself at the next meal, I carry on as normal.

What did you do when you got a reading at the higher end of your personal ranges Vinnie? And without your meter, if you feel you might be a bit lower, are you intending to have a carby snack, but just without the confirmation?

When is your next HbA1c due?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been low carbing long enough now to test when it's necessary. If I feel ill or trying something new!

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough I decided yesterday, after a fasting bg of 3.9, to stop testing. I am almost always normal now so it seems a waste of time and resources. I will see what onion soup and sushi do first and I have half a bottle of strips to finish off but generally I think I should stop testing just for the fun of it.

Yes, it is fun to see normal numbers.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know that I was running numbers high enough to give me an HbA1c a of 8.6 last May so I'm not sure how I'd know without testing what is going on now. I don't always test after a tried and tested meal or if circumstances make it difficult to do so and yes, I so sometimes indulge because the meter says it's ok. But my indulgences are nothing like the treats I'd have had in the past- now it's a square of dark chocolate, or half an apple. Certainly I don't think you need to be testing 24/7 once you are used to your new way of eating but I'd not want to be ditching it altogether.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm more with Sanguine on this one. As my readings came down, I revelled in that, and now I'm keen to keep them there. If I have a higher than usual reading, I don't starve myself at the next meal, I carry on as normal.

What did you do when you got a reading at the higher end of your personal ranges Vinnie? And without your meter, if you feel you might be a bit lower, are you intending to have a carby snack, but just without the confirmation?

When is your next HbA1c due?

Oh I did revel in my low numbers and plummeting hba1c over the last 16 months but then I could almost predict my meter readings after meals. Then I found I could tolerate a pudding after a roast dinner, then came the treats and the numbers started creeping up slightly as if there was a cumulative effect of the treats.

My numbers, however, were still acceptable but there were a couple of times when I thought I really must go for a walk after this meal. Numbers never really got past 6.5

I've decided to avoid 'treats' and keep my low carb treat tin well stocked with pork scratchings and Ritz crackers which I smother with soft cheese and fills me up.

My next hba1c is due April or May and I will be guided by that.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My meals are all planned in advance, so no matter what any pre-meal reading might be I would have the same meal anyway. Also I don't snack, never have done, so don't dive in to the biscuits or cake as a treat. I have my treats as part of my pre-planned meals (a few chips does me).

I keep very detailed records, averages and graphs. These are what motivate me. Without them I could lose motivation.

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck Vinny. I hope it works for you, but if I were you I would still keep an eye on fasting levels a couple of times a week.

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't test often, but then I'll have a couple of days where I'll keep a diary of food, times & bg levels. Providing there's no issue I then scrap my piece of paper!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't test often, but then I'll have a couple of days where I'll keep a diary of food, times & bg levels. Providing there's no issue I then scrap my piece of paper!

You scrap it? :confused: I still have my food diary on an excel sheet with my levels back to when I started testing, and I look back all the time to see what could be tweaked! Pedantic yes, and I can tell you exactly what I had for tea on any day since last April!

Kaz70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You scrap it? :confused: I still have my food diary on an excel sheet with my levels back to when I started testing, and I look back all the time to see what could be tweaked! Pedantic yes, and I can tell you exactly what I had for tea on any day since last April!
I'm trying to be focussed but not obsessed, I've spent years on diets writing everything down so I'm trying something different, it may not work and I might have to get back to my obsession!

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck Vinney,
I am new to testing, but when I know whats going on with what I eat etc. I will only then test occasionally, or if feeling under the weather.

Reactions: 2 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I did revel in my low numbers and plummeting hba1c over the last 16 months but then I could almost predict my meter readings after meals. Then I found I could tolerate a pudding after a roast dinner, then came the treats and the numbers started creeping up slightly as if there was a cumulative effect of the treats.

My numbers, however, were still acceptable but there were a couple of times when I thought I really must go for a walk after this meal. Numbers never really got past 6.5

I've decided to avoid 'treats' and keep my low carb treat tin well stocked with pork scratchings and Ritz crackers which I smother with soft cheese and fills me up.

My next hba1c is due April or May and I will be guided by that.
Yes, this is me. If I stop testing for a day or two my diet tends to widen a notch to include, say, half a leftover spud in a stew or a double helping of berries with grated chocolate as well as cream. I know they will add between .5 and 1.0 to my score but what the hell? It won't go down on my record sheet if I'm not testing and the 2-hour BS wouldn't go over 7.0 anyway. Lal-la-la, I can't hear the warning.
So today I put the meter away and made a veg soup with a lot of pureed lentils and then went for a brisk 45-minute walk. Then I surprised myself with a test and registered 6.1 despite the exercise. You're never alone with a meter, dammit.
Glad you're seeing the danger.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't keep formal records - my memory or a piece of paper,which is recycled, will suffice. I don't test too much anyway - FBS in the morning, usually when I get in from work and sometimes before bed. I do test if I think I may be higher or if i'm eating something new. One thing me DN did warn me about was not to use testing as a means of 'seeing what I could get away with' eating!!

Reactions: 5 people