Newbie trying Newcastle diet.

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I could not function on my 'deviated ND' without herb tea, and mint teas are part of my herb tea menu, for sure. Otherwise, drinking the litres of water as just water would be oppressive indeed!

I also love cinnamon tea - and cinnamon is a wonder spice for diabetics (as in help with lowering blood sugar levels, so it is said). (I cannot rightly estimate the amount of cinnamon in food I have consumed in the last eight months since diagnosis! Masses of it!) Herb teas are quite pricey, or the really yummy ones can be, but boy are they worth it when semi-starving! (Also adding lime juice to bottles of water in the fridge, too, cuts into heaps of 'water oppression' too :).)

I am enjoying hot lemon water.

Reactions: 4 people

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Just determined to sort this thing

Well what a difference two days can make. I put up my water intake from 2 1/5 -3ltrs a day to a minimum of 4ltrs a day and the hunger is better and the constipation as resolved itself. It just goes to show how much fluid you must get from your food. Thanks for caring I really do appreciate it.

Reactions: 11 people

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I broke the 10 stone threshold this morning now 9 stone 13 so well happy

Reactions: 14 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Greetings tlwh, the only newcastle university diet i have heard of is the bottled variety. i was an big fan for many years.

5893.jpg

Reactions: 11 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just thinking about you two today only hence came to this thread
Hope you are both doing well
@Flashtash2014 you are just about coming to an end so all the best
My dear Hen i know its only 3 weeks into 8 week but it will all come together in the end dont worry.

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One question to both of you, how are your blood sugars behaving. I could not read into them anywhere so was curious.
Also @Flashtash2014 did you start the diet on your own or did you consult your doctor as well
The reason I ask is that my GP did not even know full form of LADA so I very much doubt she will know about NCD either
I am following you both coz I really wish to start it by March and preparing myself and trying to research as much as I can too.

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
One question to both of you, how are your blood sugars behaving. I could not read into them anywhere so was curious.
Also @Flashtash2014 did you start the diet on your own or did you consult your doctor as well
The reason I ask is that my GP did not even know full form of LADA so I very much doubt she will know about NCD either
I am following you both coz I really wish to start it by March and preparing myself and trying to research as much as I can too.
My blood sugars rarely peak above 5 after eating and I have been down as low as 2.7 with no ill effect. My energy levels are good too. In all fairness my GP has been supportive along the way but it's the coming months I'm more interested in, in terms of what my BG levels will be like on normal food counting down the days now

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My blood sugars rarely peak above 5 after eating and I have been down as low as 2.7 with no ill effect. My energy levels are good too. In all fairness my GP has been supportive along the way but it's the coming months I'm more interested in, in terms of what my BG levels will be like on normal food counting down the days now
Do you have a transition plan to take you from ND to your new normalised eating plan?

If so, what is it, and how long do you intend the transitional period to be? And what checks and balances are you allowing yourself for that period of normalisation? I'm thinking of things like what you expect the scales to show in the early days of re normalising your food intake?

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only

I had my bloods tested before I started and spoke to my GP, a consultant at the Hospital and a Dietician who amended the diet to include what was found in the blood tests. e.g. lemon juice for vitamin C and oil to stop gallstones. I don't test with strips (a debate that we have had in this thread) so my next blood test is next week. That will be mid way through the diet. I have had phone calls, to check up progress from dietician. I have felt fine and been able to work as normal. It should be noted that me diabetes was under control before I started this Diet and I am trying to put it into remission.

Reactions: 4 people

The little white hen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just thinking about you two today only hence came to this thread
Hope you are both doing well
@Flashtash2014 you are just about coming to an end so all the best
My dear Hen i know its only 3 weeks into 8 week but it will all come together in the end dont worry.

Thank you, I have got my "I'm going to do it" head on now. A loss of three pounds a week hits my weight goal at the end of week 8. From what I have read I can achieve that if I continue to exercise. Although, weight loss can be as low of 1lb a week.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my bloods tested before I started and spoke to my GP, a consultant at the Hospital and a Dietician who amended the diet to include what was found in the blood tests. e.g. lemon juice for vitamin C and oil to stop gallstones. I don't test with strips (a debate that we have had in this thread) so my next blood test is next week. That will be mid way through the diet. I have had phone calls, to check up progress from dietician. I have felt fine and been able to work as normal. It should be noted that me diabetes was under control before I started this Diet and I am trying to put it into remission.

Great support from your health team, and you are expanding their knowledge too. Well done, for sticking at it.