Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Because of my mostly very good fasting and all day long readings of late and my doctors comments saying my latests results are almost saying I'm none diabetic I did a wee test last night .... don't try this at home kids .... I slowly over an hour ate a whole packet of Jaffa Cakes.
Two hours later tested at 7.1 and went to bed.
This morning was 5.1
Over the last couple of months I have stuck with my low carb high fat but slowly introduced more carbs.
Two hours ago I had pasta and meat balls ... reading is 6.7 .....
o_O

Reactions: 5 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Because of my mostly very good fasting and all day long readings of late and my doctors comments saying my latests results are almost saying I'm none diabetic I did a wee test last night .... don't try this at home kids .... I slowly over an hour ate a whole packet of Jaffa Cakes.
Two hours later tested at 7.1 and went to bed.
This morning was 5.1
Over the last couple of months I have stuck with my low carb high fat but slowly introduced more carbs.
Two hours ago I had pasta and meat balls ... reading is 6.7 .....
o_O
I can eat wholemeal pasta and long grain brown or wild rice without too much trouble but the white stuff sends me sky high

Reactions: 7 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I can eat wholemeal pasta and long grain brown or wild rice without too much trouble but the white stuff sends me sky high
What throws me without doubt is having a cheap frozen meal.
No more cheap frozen meals for a good while.

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

Snap ready meals are hell. Make some stews and casseroles in bulk and freeze for homemade 'ready meals' :D:)
I do that - my homemade ready meals - emptying freezer for a defrost tho so apart from a pot of homemade baked beans I've none left - ooh, must get the dogs chicken out to defrost..

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Snap ready meals are hell. Make some stews and casseroles in bulk and freeze for homemade 'ready meals' :D:)
Yeah we do that a lot and will be doing it more.
Pasta and meatballs just gone in there.

Reactions: 4 people

killerkaz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.0 on arising at 5.30 am :eek: which is more middle of the night than morning as far as I'm concerned.
I was brave or stupid last night...... still can't decide which....... and tried a slice of the hub's pizza.
Yes he still insists on eating bad things occasionally, there's no stopping him, and it was our wedding anniversary so I let him off :cool:
I obviously paid for it though, with high readings, rising all evening, and raised BG when I went to bed and when I got up......albeit the middle of the night :D
4.7 this morning at half eight though, pre brekkie ........ :hilarious: so that's alright then.
No harm done, and I bet it tasted good;)

Reactions: 6 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
It doesn't matter at an hour though, that's quite normal....it could be a delayed spike at 3 hours though so may be wise to check at say 2.5 and 3 hours a couple of times though

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

Homemade baked beans sounds nice what's the recipe?
Very simply 175-200g haricot beans, soaked overnight, 400g chopped canned tomatoes (blended - or use passata), tbsp tomato puree (or to taste), garlic granules(ditto). Cook beans in mix of tom puree & Tom's wth garlic until tender. Put around a quarter to a third back into blender, depending how thick you want the sauce, stir back into beans and there you have it. Salt and sweetener to taste - I just stir in salt as I defrost/reheat... Enjoy
PS guess you could add real onion or onion powder instead of garlic? Or cannelini beans for bigger baked beans. Butter stirred in might be nice too

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Very simply 175-200g haricot beans, soaked overnight, 400g chopped canned tomatoes (blended - or use passata), tbsp tomato puree (or to taste), garlic granules(ditto). Cook beans in mix of tom puree & Tom's wth garlic until tender. Put around a quarter to a third back into blender, depending how thick you want the sauce, stir back into beans and there you have it. Salt and sweetener to taste - I just stir in salt as I defrost/reheat... Enjoy
PS guess you could add real onion or onion powder instead of garlic? Or cannelini beans for bigger baked beans. Butter stirred in might be nice too
Sounds good defiantly something to try. Just making up a knitted teddy for my friends wedding in 2 months

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Agree with Neil on that ... try and stay below 8.0 where possible.

i was 4.8 on rising

Evening all :)

Reactions: 16 people

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
7.5 post dinner
6.6 before dinner
Wholemeal pasta carrots peas sweet corn and mushrooms with a tablespoon of lactose free philly stored through

Reactions: 12 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
It doesn't matter at an hour though, that's quite normal....it could be a delayed spike at 3 hours though so may be wise to check at say 2.5 and 3 hours a couple of times though

Hi I think the 7.9 is OK but personally I would not want it much higher than that for me.

You may need to take @Sable_Jan 's advice and test at 2 1/2 & 3hr. Which Granola is this and have you looked at the carbs?

Neil

Well, I checked what Granola it was (Jordans Crunchy Oat (Fruit & Nut)) and the carbs are listed as 64.6 per 100g. Therefore I had approximately 33g carbohydatre. That did seem a lot so, as I've only had one meal today (97% sausages and roasted onions, pepper and mushrooms), I decided to do another experiment tonight. 1 hour ago my reading was 5.2 and 1 hour after eating it was 9.2. Actually my first reading was 9.6 but I immediately did another that was 9.2 so perhaps 9.4 is a realistic reading. I'll check again in another hour but I might have to leave it at that as I turn into a pumpkin around midnight.

The only difference (as far as I know) is that my previous Granola was for breakfast and this is in the evening. I assume that shouldn't have given such different results.

I really appreciate your advice as I'm fairly new to all this and my first check with the DN at my GP's isn't until April. I'm really trying to get my BG down and not have to take the threatened medication.

Clutching at straws, I see I'm using Batch 61 testing strips!

Status
Not open for further replies.