Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

scottie1

Thanks Clive, not feeling tired at the moment so probably another sleepless night. But hubby will be cuddling me so that will help.

Hope you are ok xx

Reactions: 2 people

scottie1

Thank you Jack. I am expecting it to be higher in the morning as it is normally quite high. I was 28.9 this morning.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Jack. I am expecting it to be higher in the morning as it is normally quite high. I was 28.9 this morning.
ouch..hopefully the 16th will get some meds to help till the diet does what it can, you can always reduce meds as you go with Dr support

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If you jump from 13 to high 20s overnite / tomorrow morning Scottie, then please tell us. I for one would be surprised

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you jump from 13 to high 20s overnite / tomorrow morning Scottie, then please tell us. I for one would be surprised
Why would you be surprised? Dawn phenomenon is exceedingly difficult to manage for some people, me included, though nothing like those levels.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Why would you be surprised? Dawn phenomenon is exceedingly difficult to manage for some people, me included, though nothing like those levels.

I say that as 13 (I think) is Scottie's lowest number thus far so in terms of percentages, and an over 100% increase to high end 20s tomorrow morning (her time) strikes me as unlikely if she didn't snack on the "wrong" stuff . I trust I'm not wrong.

We can only hope. Nothing motivates like a good meter figure and with Scottie's recent numbers, a 13 would thrill me to bits. It will take a lot more work, so I'm hoping she hits this hard.

Keep at it Scottie :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Read my above post @scottie1

Of course it's better !!!! Might be finally kicking in ..... do NOT let up.

Mike :)

Reactions: 5 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting BG 19.2. Not impressed but still, it's better. More work to do.
Hi Scottie stop being so hard on yourself based on your past readings it looks like your fasting test is starting to lower so well done.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fasting BG 19.2. Not impressed but still, it's better. More work to do.
now you are cutting carbs there are going to be some side effects, drink lots of water and have a teaspoon of salt a day in your meals because you have cut out the junk where we normally get our salt from.
peanut butter, oils, avocado ..I ate coconut oil off of a spoon to get me through the first week..I had terrible trouble with carb craving..the hunger lasts for 2 days and feeling flat lasts a week, eat more protein which will turn to glucose till your fat burning kicks in and you get a burst of energy

Take a few hours to go through these links
it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

Reactions: 7 people

scottie1

BG before meal 21.8, 2 hours post meal 19.2. For goodness sake, I have only had Ryvitas with ham, that I have nearly every day and past days results are not as high as this. The only thing I have done different is having a whole slice of ham on each Ryvita instead of sharing a slice with one Ryvita, in the hope it would only stop me feeling hungry.

Mike, regarding the high readings on waking that were in the high readings, the only thing I can think of is that I was drinking effervescent vitamin C tablets, could this be why? I didn't have one before bed last night. I have cut sugar completely out of my diet, as I just couldn't limit it so thought it better to go cold turkey.

Jack, I am noticing side effects of LCHF, for instance I can't sleep and having done some research today, it seems that this is quite common, but I can't find an answer as to when it will stop. This is my 4th week of LCHF, so I would have thought it may have stopped by now. I am also irritable and feeling down (this could be normal as I am generally down) but I have noticed a difference. Lack of sleep is not helping at all, in fact it is making me worse. I am lucky to get just a couple of hours at the moment.

Thanks for the links, I will read them at some point today.

I am drinking plenty of water, bought some bottled water for the last 3 weeks and drinking about 6 x bottles of 500ml per day.

The GP appointment cannot come soon enough. Taking extra Gliclozide does not seem to be helping and may also be somewhat responsible for low weight loss.

Daphne & Kezzer, I'm trying not to beat myself up about this, but I am trying so very hard and would imagine that my BG results would have lowered considerabley by now. Yes, I have moments when I think that my average results 4 weeks ago was 29.0, so there has been a good reduction but then I am very frustrated as they are not sub 10.0.

I'm not going to give up, I want to be in charge of my health. Just sometimes I could just scream.

Sorry, rant over.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Good day scottie, sooner you get seen by a diabetic consultant and get your meds sorted the better methinks .::))

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes do scream!

The only point I'd like to answer from your rant is the one re hunger. I think you may need to look at LCHF in a different light. Don't think of what you can't have, think of what you can have and fill up on that. Some of us eat more fat to stop the hunger pangs. You don't need to feel hungry. I think you said you don't like veggies? (or am I getting muddled?) Are there any you do like? I love veggies with butter.

I agree with jack about the ryvita too.

scottie1

Good day scottie, sooner you get seen by a diabetic consultant and get your meds sorted the better methinks .::))

Hi Clive, yes I do need to see the doctor, not sure that they will give me any extra meds though, as have already doubled my Gliclozide dose but it can't hurt to visit. From what I've been reading, it may be better for me to be on insulin and to be honest that scares me.

How are you today?