Expected for quite some time, and now diagnosed - Hello Type 2, not nice to meet you

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to your new family of friends & knowledge that is so helpful in helping control the condition, unlike the Nhs gumph.
Just browse around & ask, if your not asking your probably got things under control

When was it you were diagnosed?
Unless it was 3 or more months ago your monday hbA1c most likely will not be much diffo as it's an average of the last 3 monthsish so will still be showing glucose from prior to diagnosis.

Given that it's a complete blood screening she wants, I guess that a refreshed hbA1c is only a welcome side effect. The last screening was hemolytic, so I guess she has to repeat a few. On simple stuff like this I don't complain too much, it's just a few drops of blood.

I was diagnosed on Monday, the 2nd of March. Including a trip to the A&E because I was feeling miserable, and combined with the eye issues she wanted to have the blood screening rather now than later.

I've got my first appointment with the diabetic nurse at my practice on the 31st. So I'm quite interested in how that will go.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have switched to pretty much exclusively water, and once or twice a week big mug of tea with 2 teaspoons of sugar in it.

Nice to "meet" you .... but I would strongly recommend dropping the sugar. BTW, what do you do for exercise?

Mike

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice to "meet" you .... but I would strongly recommend dropping the sugar. BTW, what do you do for exercise?

Mike

Morning!

Whatever I can, really, currently amounting to walks on the beach whenever possible. When I wrote that my blood and organ tests have always come out alright, I did not mention that the other half of my body has essentially broken down - as mentioned, I am morbidly obese at far over 200kg.

Without going down the list of back and joint problems - I can stand upright for about 5 minutes before back pain starts, 10 if I don't have to move. Swimming is a no can do due to other problems as well (after about 7 I start to loose the feeling in the sides of my upper legs - sciatic nerve)

I have had 2 under-desk ellipticals, both broke within about 2 weeks. Training devices like full-scale ellipticals, treadmills and the likes do not carry my weight unless specifically constructed for it, making them cost as much as a new car.

I am currently looking into getting a new under-desk elliptical and look to invest a bit more this time (in hopes that it will result in a more robust device), but I need to have the money put aside. Me and my doctors in the past have also evaluated surgical methods, which lately mainly failed on the catch22 that you need to be too fat for the surgery to get the surgery granted and then loose weight, combined with the fact that even under clinical conditions (see my introduction post) I did not loose weight, but with a rather very strict regimen barely managed to flatline my weight gain. I was even considered for a study on genetic factors for overweight but (hah) too fat for the study's statistical restrictions.

Sorry if I'm getting a bit defensive over this - again, as mentioned, this is a problem running in the family (one of my uncles in Germany is currently at about 400kg and essentially almost dying day by day), and in the last 22 years I have been exposed to more vitriol and "Oh you just have to fight your way through it"-blockheads than I can possibly recount, so I try to avoid that topic unless with the doctors.

Reactions: 8 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Given that it's a complete blood screening she wants, I guess that a refreshed hbA1c is only a welcome side effect. The last screening was hemolytic, so I guess she has to repeat a few. On simple stuff like this I don't complain too much, it's just a few drops of blood.

I was diagnosed on Monday, the 2nd of March. Including a trip to the A&E because I was feeling miserable, and combined with the eye issues she wanted to have the blood screening rather now than later.

I've got my first appointment with the diabetic nurse at my practice on the 31st. So I'm quite interested in how that will go.
You will get a surprise when you see the DN after the info you have had on here.

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will get a surprise when you see the DN after the info you have had on here.

Care to elaborate? :)

I just hit the magic 5mmol for the first time just now. Bit pleased with myself, I have to admit.

Reactions: 14 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Hergen
Welcome!
What I found with the wholemeal type foods was that they piled the carbs in, just like the white bread , but slightly slower! (slightly lower BG peak but same area under curve).
What has worked for me has been the Low carb, Higher fat diet. Net result BG down, weight down:).
Good luck on your quest to slay the diabetes monster

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome, @Hergen

You will fit right in here.
There are more than a few of us who have abnormal weights, extreme difficulty not gaining on a diet that the NHS thinks is a good idea, and believe me, we have all been battling those close-minded diet twits for decades!

Unfortunately, we all seem to need specifically tailored eating habits, but the work is mainly done for us by our meters. A few months of very close testing and I mapped out my personal Yes and No lists, with precision.

I have found that very low carb, no grains, suits me best. Even a slice of bread gives me silly-high blood glucose. Thankfully I can tolerate other carbs a bit better, but try to stay well under 50g carbs a day.

Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And again, thanks everyone :)

Yeah, from what I have seen so far, whole grain does wonders for me personally. My rye bread does not seem to have any immediate negative effects. The one thing that makes my blood sugar spike like nothing else is Pizza and White Bread, but I only know that from the start of my diet when my blood sugar was all over the place and when I was on gliclazide for the first two days (due to stomach problems that Metformin would have made worse). I still have bake-yourself baguettes in the cupboard and one lonely Pizza in the freezer, so I'll probably do an experiment next week to see if I can confirm that.

So, the things I have learned so far:
  • No matter what I eat the night before, my morning blood sugar is always higher (Dawn effect)
  • Anything containing high amounts of highly processed wheat flour seems to make my blood sugar spike (to be confirmed)
  • Eggs are the best things chickens have ever produced (or is it the other way around?)
  • I seem to be very tolerant of whole grain food, maybe just not digesting it very well?

I think the next time I have a high carb meal, I will do a test every 30 minutes for 2 hours, to see how my body reacts.

Reactions: 5 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi Hergen
Your posts are fun & Your introduction made me smile. I'm fairly new to this forum having been diagnosed with type 2 late January. The forum has been a life saver for me & a valuable resource for all kinds of information, from "what the hell can I eat today" to "Aarrrgh, why me" moments. Learning about LCHF was a revelation. I've adopted the principles of it & try to eat less than 50g carbs a day. I'm sure once I build up a decent list of foods that don't spike my blood glucose, I'll be able to relax a tad and have some treats. I'm gagging for a Chicken Moshori or Donna Kebab. Oh well. Shucks!!

My blood glucose was 22.4mmol at diagnosis, & I started eating what I thought were healthy alternatives such as porridge, wholemeal toast etc. Only to find that my BG spiked. I now know I can't tolerate those foods so have excluded them from my diet. I have to be organised when I'm grocery shopping to make sure I've got foods in that I can grab in a hurry...a selection of cold cuts, cheeses, eggs, salad veg & low sugar fruit. I keep frozen summer berries which I have with Greek yoghurt, sweetened with pure stevia liquid. I have a sweet tooth so sugar free jelly helps. I have that with cream. There are advantages to LCHF. I don't go overboard on the fat...I find normal fat in relation to my calorie intake suits me. I don't do charts, but have a great book which helps me. It's called Carbs & Cals. Costs about a tenner on Amazon.

Anyway, I've rambled on far too long when all I really wanted to say was "hello & welcome." I hope you quickly settle into a routine with your diabetes. I've no doubt that your fab sense of humour will be a huge plus when dealing with your diagnosis. Best wishes.

Ali x

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess I'm learning about one of the negatives of it all right now. I only had one meal today, I'm seriously hungry to the point of getting a headache and cold fingers. I have food in the fridge and the freezer, but I somehow don't want any of it, feeling a bit paranoid. I definitely have to have something though. Let's see what I can throw together... Anyone else ever experiencing that kind of feeling?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Definitely.
And all the food you have is un appealing, but that takeaway menu has a mesmeric appeal...

Totally understand.

And I promise you will feel better once you have eaten.

Got any cheese? It's my go to choice.
Quick
Easy
No prep
Enjoyable

Awhile after that, you will probably be feeling up to a meal.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cold fingers is definitely the lack of soul in your case......

Just playing buddy :D

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Welcome aboard fellah.
Loads of help and advice here but .... not sure low carbing and Metformin will turn you blonde ..... you might have to live with the red for ever .... and ever and ever and ... a long time.

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria Yeah - I worked myself up from a cut-up tomato with salt and pepper to a Sandwich with a Cider. I felt much better afterwards xD And morning sugar was at 6.9, so fine for me.

@Daks It's fine, I live at a High Street in Shoeburyness/Southend on Sea. I simply absorbed some chav souls of people passing by, they won't miss them!

@JACKTHELAD Blonde? Bloody hell no - that would kill my monitor-bleached complexion! Perfectly fine with being a ginger. Especially around a full moon, when our powers are... wait, never mind. Forget I ever mentioned anything!

Reactions: 6 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi & welcome aboard @Hergen , you have certainly come to the right place for help & support. I find you honesty quite refreshing, in-particular admitting to Red Hair (Ginger). ;)

There are few that have already mentioned to you, that you may need to look at even as low as 50 carbs 'a day', not a meal, I would agree with them but you have to find what is comfortable for you & If you can manage it.

Looking at your already reduced BS figures (from your link), this looks like it would ensure you keep your BS in the normal ranges, and may help you to lose some weight. Lots of us on here are following LCHF diet to varying degrees, have reduced their weight.

Good luck
Neil

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And again, thanks everyone :)

Yeah, from what I have seen so far, whole grain does wonders for me personally. My rye bread does not seem to have any immediate negative effects. The one thing that makes my blood sugar spike like nothing else is Pizza and White Bread, but I only know that from the start of my diet when my blood sugar was all over the place and when I was on gliclazide for the first two days (due to stomach problems that Metformin would have made worse). I still have bake-yourself baguettes in the cupboard and one lonely Pizza in the freezer, so I'll probably do an experiment next week to see if I can confirm that.

So, the things I have learned so far:
  • No matter what I eat the night before, my morning blood sugar is always higher (Dawn effect)
  • Anything containing high amounts of highly processed wheat flour seems to make my blood sugar spike (to be confirmed)
  • Eggs are the best things chickens have ever produced (or is it the other way around?)
  • I seem to be very tolerant of whole grain food, maybe just not digesting it very well?

I think the next time I have a high carb meal, I will do a test every 30 minutes for 2 hours, to see how my body reacts.

every half hour will find the spike.
I found once an hour was enough and for high fat meals like pizza. the spike could come at 4 hours or even later. I got my wake-up call, when after low carbing, I gave myself a treat with a take-away indian meal [the volume and carbs like I use to eat]..I was good at 2 hr ..very high when I went to bed, even still high overnight and in the morning.

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jack412 Cheers! I am constantly measuring at different points in time. The whole grain stuff has become a staple in my diet, and so far I have not seen any spikes that would be annoying (8.5+) or worry me (10+).

I've actually done some self experimentation - 132g of carbs in one meal, on a fasting stomach (12+ hours) from Sushi rice resulted in a maximum spike of 10.8.
Code:
21.03.2015 15:23    5.4    Fasting          START OF THE SUSHI EXPERIMENT
21.03.2015 15:45    5.8    Right after
21.03.2015 16:15    8.7    30m after
21.03.2015 16:45    10.8   1h after
21.03.2015 17:45    8.9    2h after
21.03.2015 18:45    7.5    3h after         END OF THE SUSHI EXPERIMENT

Costs me a shedload of test sticks, but meh, I want to know what I'm up against. Given the results of the last two weeks of testing. Given that "normal" starch in double the usual dose causes a spike like this, and that whole grain gives it off a whole lot slower, I don't really expect much of a spike from it. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, though!

@daddys1 Hehe, cheers :) I can sometimes be a bit too forward, but in my experience it helps more than it hurts.

As for the Glucose readings, they still seem to be going down, even if I'm not far from bottoming out. If I can achieve the NICE guideline levels and hold them, I'll be happy, and right now it looks like I'm on my best way there. I don't want to sedate my trusty little pancreas into the false security of an early retirement! Why should it have time off when I'm not allowed to, and for at least 30 more years at that. So for now I'll continue with the 150g carbs a day and see where that leads me, as I'm working on my baseline metabolism.

Should my next hbA1c (not the one tomorrow, the one in 3 months) however not show a significant improvement, I will definitely consider it.

Reactions: 3 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I've been reading your posts since you started and I'm in awe of your humour and positivity - given the cards you have been dealt. I'm wishing you well and will continue to 'earwig' on your endeavours.

:D

Reactions: 4 people

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What WeeFergus said ^^