Expected for quite some time, and now diagnosed - Hello Type 2, not nice to meet you

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone! Lots of text, sorry about that in advance ;)

A long time ago I came to accept that I was at the (pardon the language) ****-end of the family gene pool. All the male members of my mother's side of the family had several hereditary problems, to put it friendly - among them extreme overweight and diabetes; those that didn't die from the former would surely suffer from the latter at some point. Of course, my mum decided to marry my dad, and lo and behold - his side of the family was also predisposed with diabetes (I love them both dearly, but they could've been more selective in terms of what genes to pass on).

I turned out to be 95% my mother's son, up to the red hair (it's not true that we don't have a soul - we steal a few every week to sustain ourselves, they're low-carb as well). The weight problem started showing, as with all other males in the family, at about age 10, and believe me when I tell you that my mum tried whatever she could to get it under control, being the nurse that she is and subjected to the peer-pressure of her health-oriented friends and colleagues - alas, even the most extreme measures failed. (I was hospitalized for half a year under strict diet and with at least 3 hours of cardio each day - which barely managed to stabilize my weight, causing doctors to accuse me of smuggling in food)

As such, with other hereditary signs and symptoms showing up all over the place, we pretty much knew that Type 2 would be coming at some point, and thanks to my mum's profession and the daily medical breakfast chats that would make the hairs on the neck of any sensible person stand up, I was pretty well informed about what would await me before it ever happened. All blood results always checked out okay, and despite being impossibly fat, I was in perfect health in terms of blood and organ screenings (even the blood pressure checked out fine, which was a surprise even to me), until I started developing problems earlier this year. Specifically my eyesight getting worse, being constantly sleepy and unable to concentrate. As half of the office was sick at the time, I just thought I caught some very resilient cooties and should see an optometrist. After a particularly bad spell I however remembered the symptoms, decided to get a blood glucose meter, and the dreaded number 21.2 turned up on the screen. My HBA1C turned out to be about 8.8%, so pretty much in the middle of "Stop worrying, you're fine" and "Here, have a pint of insulin on the house".

That was 2 weeks ago. Since then, I have done a lot of reading, and my grocery shopping now looks completely different. Goodbye white bread and baguettes, frozen pizza and sweet yogurts, chips and crisps. Hello organic rye bread and whole grain pasta, Salads and Eggs. I have also come across the fact that a lot of dietary advice for diabetics can be a bit esoteric ("if you eat red meat, make at least sure it has been fed only on grains from a remote Tibetan village and massaged at least twice a day"), and think I will rather look into how my body reacts to certain kinds of food myself, even if that means spending a fortune on test strips, as my GP is adamant on constant monitoring not being necessary (which seems to be the case for many here) - but I like to know how my own body works, thank you very much.

The shortsightedness that developed was gone on the third day of taking Metformin, my mood lightened up considerably, and I didn't fall asleep on the train into London anymore. I simply refuse to feel bad about having Diabetes, and I refuse to accept any kind of social stigma associated with it. I also keep a diary on food, drinks and blood sugar readings, which you can feel free to have a look at here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ON4fZIjOi9bPTbMpEcql-k20yz2VqUq1yKemGXES2O4/edit#gid=0

Yes, I realize that there is quite a bit of room for improvement, and I am always open for suggestions. The frozen Pizzas were relics from the freezer, and throwing away is a big no-no. All gone now. I drink rarely (the odd cider every second day and a bit more when I meet up with friends), the Metformin only caused me trouble during the first few days and now I seem to be used to it. I kinda reserve myself the right to sin every now and then (a small pack of smarties on a particularly carb-less day, soul-food on days when work has been horrible again). I try to keep it at 50-60 carbs per meal.

For the last 7 days, my average mmol reading has been about 8.7, and while still a bit high, I am quite happy with the downward curve. I'm looking forward to some feedback here, and I've got the first visit with the diabetic nurse scheduled at the end of the month. Good to be here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 39 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome! I love your sense of humour :D ( and your red hair ! ) :D

You have landed in the right place !

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lol! You sound awesome!
You'll get loads of great advice here, though it sounds as though you've already taken the bull by the horns so to speak.
Thumbs up from a fellow red-head! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers for the warm welcome :) And yeah, I'm trying to get a grip on it - getting my first groceries together took me hours, checking into the carbs of every little thing (and being shocked more than once). I'm just happy that whole wheat semolina pasta seems to work very well for me, as I am a major pasta fan. Worst offenders seem to be Pizza and white bread, which let my blood sugar skyrocket.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome from another red head,we tend not to go gray.
You will find lots to read and help you.
All the best.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome @Hergen and sorry to hear of your unfortunate diagnosis. I would suggest you possibly need to test at 1, 2 and 3 hours after eating the rye and pasta as you may not like what you see. If you are going to test a lot, and lets face it you will need to, then look into the sd code free meter as the strips are about £7 per 50.

You could also look into going full low carb or even the newcastle diet which

Reactions: 6 people

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome aboard and great to see some more humour here, I'm newish to this too, my soul is still carb laden so eyes off!! :D

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome @Hergen and sorry to hear of your unfortunate diagnosis. I would suggest you possibly need to test at 1, 2 and 3 hours after eating the rye and pasta as you may not like what you see. If you are going to test a lot, and lets face it you will need to, then look into the sd code free meter as the strips are about £7 per 50.

You could also look into going full low carb or even the newcastle diet which
I didn't do 1h, but 2 and 3h. As both are whole grain, at least according to theory, they should act more like a deposit and should take longer to be metabolised as sugar. No major spikes there. But I will have another look later this week! Cheers for the advice

MissPooh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hergen - I'm new here too, absolutely fab site, loads and loads of advice and guidance.... I married a red head, not much red left now mind you, he says it's my fault :oops:

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in agreement with @Andrew Colvin , regarding the pasta. Pasta doesn't give me high spikes, but gives me slower prolonged rises than I feel comfortable with. I just gave up pasta, to be honest.

It's probably almost a year since I tried it, and much has improved for me in that time, so, sometime, it probably makes sense to try it again. That said; having declined for the last several months, it's not a priority for me.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum :D read your post and it cheered me up! Always good to have a sense of humour!

Reactions: 7 people

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Hi Hergen, that's quite an entrance you made there:). Welcome to the forum, you will get loads of support and advice here and no doubt we could learn a thing or two from you!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You seem to be making a good start with food changes. Be aware that all cabr swill trun to glucose even wholemeal ones so keep all of the carbs down including wholewheat bread and past. I would set a daily carb limit of 150 gm to start with and less if you can. Try to avoid special days when you have 'carbs' as you need this to be a lifestyle change for a lifetime. Whilist excpetions are always allowed try not to make it a regular thing. Cider is not the best drink as it has a lot of residual sugar so do look at the labels and the meter will help. Beware breakfast as many have cereal and toast; bad news. Go for egg & bacon or similar if you can or perhaps home-made or no-added sugar muesli in a small portion.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gingers don't have souls! Just ask Eric Cartman...

Welcome to the forum buddy...

Reactions: 3 people

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hah, so much feedback! Very much appreciated :)

First of all - I archive my food intake and blood sugar readings in a publicly available format, although it may be difficult to read (what I ate before the reading is listed after the reading - so my meal from last night will be mentioned after the reading in the morning, for instance). Feel free to have a look here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ON4fZIjOi9bPTbMpEcql-k20yz2VqUq1yKemGXES2O4/edit#gid=0

In regards to the Rye bread, I have exactly 2 slices in the morning as a sandwich. It's wheat-free and quite tasty, comes to pretty much exactly 50 carbs for breakfast. I usually eat it with a slice of ham, 3 slices of tomatoes and some salad on top. A bit of mayonnaise, to give it some moisture, but the good kind with mostly monosaturated fats. The bread: http://www.biona.co.uk/product-264-4.html (The only negative side is that it's as crumbly as it could get, always have a plate under it.)

In terms of Pasta, I generally try to limit every type of food to once a week, with the exception of eggs. The big exception for me is Nissin Soba cups (the kind you add hot water to). 2 of them have about 50 carbs and they usually satiate me - they're not even high in fat or salt, so to my own great surprise are quite diet compatible, even though my GP would probably give me the stare.

When I'm in the office, I usually have something from Pret, as they list the carbs for their meals on their website (that and we have a new Pret in the ground floor of our office building, bwahaha, only a quick elevator ride away).

Yesterday I actually sinned with a chinese takeaway order - after a 13h day of work and no time to have lunch. Didn't have lunch today either, which isn't good at all. Ah well. Should get better again from Thursday onwards.

I have switched to pretty much exclusively water, and once or twice a week big mug of tea with 2 teaspoons of sugar in it. I still have juice, but handle it as a rare treat. And I have to admit that the treat I am missing the most is my weekly Sushi indulgence :( It was only the Tesco Sushi box, but it was soooo bloody tasty. *sigh* Ah well.

As for my introduction .- thanks :D To be entirely fair, sometimes the mood just has to strike me. This could easily have gotten a dreary introduction, but I'd like to imagine that re-reading some of Terry Pratchett's books right now helps on the humour part :)

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also a sushi lover, but hey...

I took a look at your diet, and it's definitely moving in the right direction, but too many post 8's mmol/l for me personally.

I'm assuming you're familiar with the LCHF ?

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Check it out, will certainly help you refine control.

Hergen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hah, cheers, I actually didn't know it yet! The LCHF diet is essentially what I have been steering towards without even knowing it. I try to keep my carbs around 150 a day.

After having read through some of the international classifications of diabetes Type 2, I kinda set myself the following glucose goals:
11mmol absolute maximum
<10 preferably
<8 ideally
<6 fantastic

Also, given that it's only been two weeks, I expect to drop a bit further before bottoming out on my current medication. My doc also thinks about putting me on 2000mg instead of 1500, but will decide after my next HBA1C (which will take place next Monday).

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do you seriously need 2 spoons of sugar? Try sweeteners instead or only one spoon as you need to train yourself away from the sweet taste that we have all been trained to like. Note that a change in dose from 1500 to 2000mg will make hardly any difference to your blood sugar. Even max dose will only have a small effect on blood sugar; diet remains the key.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to your new family of friends & knowledge that is so helpful in helping control the condition, unlike the Nhs gumph.
Just browse around & ask, if your not asking your probably got things under control

When was it you were diagnosed?
Unless it was 3 or more months ago your monday hbA1c most likely will not be much diffo as it's an average of the last 3 monthsish so will still be showing glucose from prior to diagnosis.