Help,Please.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would also caution choosing a pump just because you get a few free sensors, unless you decide the sensor is more important than the pump operation for you.

FWIW my advice is choose your pump first on the basis it does what you need - if the pump choice is the one the allows you to have free sensors then great, if not then look at the sensor options for your chosen pump.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Thanks for your comments Chas C,unfortunately the Dexcom is not on the choices list,also I am 66 years old and very much ok with tech stuff,so I think almost any of the pumps will be ok for me,I have no totally ruled out the Roche Insight as I can see a lot of advantages with having the remote control.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Spiker,the Meditronic rep told me i will be unlucky not to get 21 days out of a sensor as they have carried out a massive improvement to their sensors.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yingtong - none of the CGM's are available through the NHS. Its just some pump manufacturers will support some CGM's and offer "free" intro's where others do not. In the end you pay for them all.

I choose the Roche previous version for the remote - its so easy to operate the pump either via the remote or direct via the pump. There are times when getting to my pump is not easy (through a dry suit) and the remote is the best way.

When I made my choice on CGM, the Dex was the best - there are more now and Meditronic say they have improved there one (used to be poor).

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spiker,the Meditronic rep told me i will be unlucky not to get 21 days out of a sensor as they have carried out a massive improvement to their sensors.
Wow. That works out to £17-£18 a week running cost, which is very good for a CGM.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Chas C,fair comments,I have lost my Hypo awareness,therefore I think a CGM is a must for me and will self fund but my Consultant and DSN has approached my NHS trust for funding for CGM and think I am in with a better than good chance of getting it.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wow. 21 days on the new elite sensors plus the 640g safeguard functionality? That sounds like a no brainer , especially if you have limited Hypo awareness.

iHs

@yingtong

As tempting as the Medtronic offer is, I think it is a sprat to catch a makeral and the cgm sensors will end up costing a rather lot of money and will be a necessity to get the 640G to work ok with the claims that Medtronic make of the pump re low bg control. Although some consultants have been able to secure NHS funding for some diabetics to have cgm, it is difficult even when loss of hypo awareness is used. Some CCGs turn down the request.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
iHs,thanks for your reply,should I not get the support from my NHS trust I will self fund, but they are in for a massive battle first,as I can assure I don't give in easily and do all my research.

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm using the improved Enlite sensors which are the same ones being used with the 640g and can get 7 days max before getting a weak signal due to the transmitter needing to be recharged. My transmitter was recently replaced after 3.5 years and is the same one in the 640g system so I can't understand how the sensor life can be extended from 7 to 21 days without somehow overcoming the issue of removing the transmitter from the sensor secured under Opsite Flexifix, charging it up, reattaching and then hoping the old sensor would reconnect and start up again. It's not something I've managed to achieve.

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Flowerpot I'm glad you picked up on this thread as a regular user of the Enlites. I have asked the question on the mileage of the sensor on numerous forums and groups and the answer has been more or less consistant - 7 days seems to be the maximum people can get, and that's through resetting it. Anyone getting more than 7 is recharging the transmitter, with the difficulty you have described. 'Around 6 days' seems to be the general concensus.

@chas has a very valid point about overall cost. If say you get 6 days use, Year 1 cost for Medtronic CGM will be ~£2,931, assuming you are sourcing the cheapest sensor unit rate (i.e £525 for 10). By contrast, if you are using the Vibe and assuming you will need 2 transmitters as they have a warranty of 6 months (which is conservative since lots have reported they last longer) and you're able to get 14 days out of a sensor, then I make out the cost for Year 1 to be ~£2,023. The standalone Dexcom systems I've calculated approx £900 more expensive in Year 1 than with the Vibe.

It's a lot to think about.

@yingtong I hope you will get CGM approval.

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
@chas has a very valid point about overall cost. If say you get 6 days use, Year 1 cost for Medtronic CGM will be ~£2,931, assuming you are sourcing the cheapest sensor unit rate (i.e £525 for 10). By contrast, if you are using the Vibe and assuming you will need 2 transmitters as they have a warranty of 6 months (which is conservative since lots have reported they last longer) and you're able to get 14 days out of a sensor, then I make out the cost for Year 1 to be ~£2,023. The standalone Dexcom systems I've calculated approx £900 more expensive in Year 1 than with the Vibe.
I use Dexcom and my transmitter is over 12 months old and still going strong, on average I am getting 5 weeks from a sensor now :) Longest time has been 47 days. :)

Reactions: 4 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Jensen,thank you for your comments,but I can only repeat what I was told yesterday and the comments where said in front of several people.I am unable to comment any further as have no actual experience or technical information,but I can assure you I will be digging deeply into it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very interesting that Medtronic are claiming 21 days conservatively yet all the field experience is saying 6-7 days max. Have they brought out a significantly improved new sensor? Or is this just hype?

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
As I said to Jemzor I can only repeat what I was told and I will be doing much more research before I commit,