The Truth About Fat

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just an update....
From my last cholesterol total I got that had gone up to over 6.0 on higher saturated / dairy.
(Didnmt get the breakdown last time)
Now:
My trigs are 0.6
HDL 2.1
LDL 2.9
Total 5.3
Hba1c 47.
That is from having just avocado, olives and own salad dressing, feta cheese as my fat with pretty much fish 4/5 nights (cod, haddock, plaice, salmon).....salads 5-7 days a week etc...HDL has much improved than results prior to the last total result although ldl is still too high...

Reactions: 11 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update....
From my last cholesterol total I got that had gone up to over 6.0 on higher saturated / dairy.
Now:
My trigs are 0.6
HDL 2.1
LDL 2.9
Total 5.3
Hba1c 47.
That is from having just avocado, olives and own salad dressing, feta cheese as my fat with pretty much fish 4/5 nights (cod, haddock, plaice, salmon).....salads 5-7 days a week etc...HDL has much improved than results prior to the last total result although ldl is still too high...
Going to stick to the non diary fats?
Can I ask how your BG's are going and..... your weight? I ask coz my totals are higher than 6... my HbAc1 is less than 40 and I've not got much more weight to lose... not keen going back onto statins as I've come off twice due to liver function issues... so wondering about diet... cheers Hj

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Type 1 and will be told off for my hba1c being too low due to a driving incident years back.

I'm 5'6 and 9st 4 of pure muscle and a size 8.

I've been through every single statin there is and body does not tolerate them. To be honest my body doesn't get effective pain relief from tablets, side effects to all drugs like lyrica or gabapentin etc. the only drug it seems to be ok with is insulin...

My bloods have been more erratic recently but this is not a problem as its not the food.... As I only eat once a day and on a pump, its not related to food at all...

I will continue- as foremost-

1) I love olives and avocado now. I have always loved salads etc but fish was never liked unless it was in batter. I love salmon now and all white fish.

2) My Hdl has never been so high so this is good. My trigs have just returned to what they used to be.

Happy where I am now I think. At 5.4 total there is no way this GP is going to even suggest statins. He will get lashings of fire from me if he does.

Just hubby to get tested now.. They put him on statins.. From increased cholesterol results from dairy with him too...I've got to get a blood test form for him as the statins will be too much alteration if his bloods have lowered alongside mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Wonderful results and very good foods. Olives, salads, salmon and feta cheese. Thats just about what I eat daily. Have you tried using extra virgin olive oil ?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update....
Now:
My trigs are 0.6
HDL 2.1
LDL 2.9
Total 5.3
Hba1c 47.
a lovely set of numbers there DD, your Dr has to be happy with that :)
also I think the 2.9 LDL should be ok, as it comes under the common requirement of <3

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Wonderful results and very good foods. Olives, salads, salmon and feta cheese. Thats just about what I eat daily. Have you tried using extra virgin olive oil ?

Make own salad dressings with extra virgin oil and a variety of garlic, herb, mustard, honey, vinagerette additions.

I would eat 7 days a week. Eat like this throughout winter. Christmas day unfortunately for me is a change to traditional xmas lunch(ish).... But still hanker for my salads. The avocado and olives I thought I hated for 50+ years and I love them. Only love the stuffed olives with gouda or pimento from Waitrose at the moment.... Not tried others yet...initially could only have bite sized small porrions of them to introduce them to my diet but now boy, I love them.

Kind folk here helped me out ref avocado n olives... Thanks everyone!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
a lovely set of numbers there DD, your Dr has to be happy with that :)
also I think the 2.9 LDL should be ok, as it comes under the common requirement of <3

Yes, they'll be ok I suspect... I'm going to have a good talk to GP though as I found out after tslking to him that there was no mention of statin intolerance at all STILL on my notes... He was also pushing me to have statins again despite not having a full breakdown... So he actually got quite cross with me when I was explaining to him sbout no way without a full breakdown and the opportunity to revert back to my old good levels.

So going to look forward to him reviewing my bloods this time.

In fact I'm due a bit of a barney with them... They have marked on my records to have another diabetic review.. I don't think its even been 6 weeks since I had one....at the moment my GP practice is totally inept...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Make own salad dressings with extra virgin oil and a variety of garlic, herb, mustard, honey, vinagerette additions.

I would eat 7 days a week. Eat like this throughout winter. Christmas day unfortunately for me is a change to traditional xmas lunch(ish).... But still hanker for my salads. The avocado and olives I thought I hated for 50+ years and I love them. Only love the stuffed olives with gouda or pimento from Waitrose at the moment.... Not tried others yet...initially could only have bite sized small porrions of them to introduce them to my diet but now boy, I love them.

Kind folk here helped me out ref avocado n olives... Thanks everyone!!
With you on the olives and avocado.... love em both.... always have but now they are moving centre stage. Good to hear you up beat on the change in foods... and thanks for your detailed response. Hj

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pasha, you mention Feta, a fav for any particular reason? and looking at the listing you posted, the olive oil, do you mix it with your food generally or just knock it back as is? Cheers Hj

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Pasha, you mention Feta, a fav for any particular reason? and looking at the listing you posted, the olive oil, do you mix it with your food generally or just knock it back as is? Cheers Hj

Hankjam

Got to respond to the question you asked pasha... Olive oil made up in to a lovely dressing is so fantastic... I mix mine with literally anything.. Red or white wine vinegar and then add anything I fancy till I get a taste I love. Could be garlic, mixed herbs, chillies, peppers, Rosemary, mustard, honey..

It is so wonderful on the rare occasions I move from salads its goes on my veg!!

I'm hungry just thinking about it now!! And because it's randomly made it goes with your taste buds and I love making it as I get to do all the testing!!!

Yummy!!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I use feta and another locally made hard white cheese. Both taste great especially when sprinkled with "zaater " , see here,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za'atar and drizzled on top with olive oil.

By the way in the summer months eating a dish of watermelon and cubed hard white cheese is very popular over here ie the sweet with the salty/savoury.

Re the olive oil, I always use added to my breakfast, lunch and early evening small meal, never knock it back like vodka.This way I get through 96 grams of the stuff per day.

Hope this satisfactorily answers your questions.

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use feta and another locally made hard white cheese. Both taste great especially when sprinkled with "zaater " , see here,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za'atar and drizzled on top with olive oil.

By the way in the summer months eating a dish of watermelon and cubed hard white cheese is very popular over here ie the sweet with the salty/savoury.

Re the olive oil, I always use added to my breakfast, lunch and early evening small meal, never knock it back like vodka.This way I get through 96 grams of the stuff per day.

It certainly does, thank you. I was bought up in Iran from the age of 6 months... and one thing that is just not the same as my memory is Watermelon in the UK....
Thank you
Hj

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
DD, those are stellar figures. So cutting out the sat fats really did make a difference to you. I'm thinking of lowering sat fats too as my LDL high.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I only 'discovered' zaatar last year, I have used sumac before but not in that blend, it's very nice :)
while I was at the ME/ lebanese market, I got some other stuff I keep on hand..much cheaper than supermarkets

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well I can only go by my husbands levels that all rose really bad and my total did.

Have got to pick up blood tests forms for him tomorrow as he was put on 40mg atorvastatin... I think his levels may have dropped too low if he has the same reaction as me.

The HDL is my best ever, I always used to have low trigs so am glad they are back to normal for me. The HDL is hugely better and that has got to be down to less dairy/saturated and avocado/olives/oil/scrapings of feta cheese.
I've had walnuts as a snack for years so they haven't played a part in this.

I'm positive it is the lack of dairy/sats.

I do occasionally have 4 belly pork rashers.. About 4 times since xmas. They are a vice that I love.. So not completely unsaturated!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
olive's about 15% sat fat, with that and the sats in your food should be enough. it's a good idea to reduce dairy fats a bit. there seems to be a lot eaten in the UK by the forum.

I'd pay more attention to trigs and HDL, unless the LDL are through the roof.
with Low carb, you need LDL to truck the fats out and HDL to take the empty LDL back to the liver. [or something like this :) ]

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Jack412. Going to do MFP tomorrow and try to find something I like thats easy to put some weight on. I've lost 5lbs since last Friday so need to adjust something.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Jack412 for info. Going to do MFP tomorrow and try to find something I like thats easy to put some weight on. I've lost 5lbs since last Friday so need to adjust something to stop the weightloss.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jack412. Going to do MFP tomorrow and try to find something I like thats easy to put some weight on. I've lost 5lbs since last Friday so need to adjust something.
did you replace all of the fats and protein from the dairy you cut? that would be my guess.
check your fats, then more protein if needed

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It certainly does, thank you. I was bought up in Iran from the age of 6 months... and one thing that is just not the same as my memory is Watermelon in the UK....
Thank you
Hj
It's rubbish isn't it. We lived for 15 years in Cairo and miss proper watermelon so much. What we get in Northern Europe is such c**p isn't it - chilled sponge, weak and watery and no taste.

Same for all melons actually - miss Turkey, where I first met the sweet/salt white cheese and melon thing.