The Cortisol Connection

paragliderpete

Hi All.
I've been investigating the causes of insulin resistance recently, in an attempt to try and improve mine. In the process I've discovered a distinct link between the adrenal gland function, in particlular cortisols actions and our blood glucose level. Much of which we appear to have little control.
The net metabolic action of cortisol is to raise circulating free fatty acids and glucose, the latter stimulating glycogen synthesis. This in turn creates a phenotype of " insulin resistance", creating an increased need for insulin secretion to maintain normal blood glucose levels.
Cortisol increases blodd glucose levels by promoting gluconeogenisis, raising hepatic glucose output, and inhibiting glucose uptake by mucle and fat (insulin resistance), whilst at the same time inhibiting insulins ability to regulate hepatic glucose output.
( out of control glucose generation) at the same time failing to supress lipolysis in adipose tissue resulting in raised triglyceride levels. It similarly elevates total and ldl cholesterol, and lowers hdl levels.
Serum cortisol varies diurnaly, with maximum level occuring in the early morning, and produces similar grphical profiles to that of the morning effect, and could well explain why medication and diet have little effect on this phenomenon. Indeed some of the belief in liver dumps being due to bm levels could well be a cortisol effect.
Some symptoms of excess glucorticoid include muscle wasting, visceral fat, central obesity, and slow healing of wounds/ infections. It does appear that increased cortisol levels may be playing a part in preventing the normalisation of insulin resistance, and fully normalising blood glucose level. I do not believe to cortisol level however to be excessive which would suggest cushings syndrome. A sort of pre diabetic state.
It seems to me that cortisol could be well be having a significant effect on our diabetic condition and subsequent control. Medical solution seems to be control of the symptoms by metformin, rather than addressing the cause.
Has anyone else any experience in this area, I would appreciate any views and thoughts , in particular any ideas how I might establish how much of an effect cortrisol is having, and what can be done to minimise it effects

Reactions: 2 people

angua

A very interesting hypothesis Pete and eerily similar to most of the symptoms we discuss here regularly and quite a few of which I am intimately and seemingly inextricably involved with.

"Changed patterns of serum cortisol levels have been observed in connection with abnormal ACTH levels, clinical depression, psychological stress, and physiological stressors such as hypoglycemia, illness, fever, trauma, surgery, fear, pain, physical exertion, or temperature extremes"

It certainly provides an anecdotal reason (increased stress) for the massive increase in pre-diabetic/insulin resistant and type 2's that we are seeing now

Unless you think that your Dr would be interested or you could afford a private consultant who would be willing to run/oversee any tests, I see no self administered testing available. Providing there were no physiological reasons then an all out effort of stress management would seem productive

please clarify this comment : I do not believe to cortisol level however to be excessive which would suggest cushings syndrome. A sort of pre diabetic state.

Gilly

paragliderpete

Hi Gilly. Sorry didn't explain myself very well. I was trying to make sure that nobody thinks that I'm implying that we all have cushing syndrome. I do believe that a slightly elevated cortisol level, could be having an effect on type 2 diabetes and its control. Similarly i believe it to be progressive, in a similar fashion to the progression of insulin resistance and glucose intolerence , from pre diabetes to diabetes.
Not sure how to establish the link, or what I could do about it if i did. It does however see to give a viable explanation as to why I can't get my fasting bm's below 5.5, and could possibly explain alot more.
Whilst our glucose levels are predominantly controled by diet . I'm sure there will be nothing as simple to modify in our lifestyle to normalise cortisol levels , should it be established that it is effecting our blood glucose control.

angua

Pete
I had begun to think along these same lines - reading up on heart disease and coming to the understanding that plaques in arteries are a result of repaired damage* I couldn't think what could be the cause of that damage unless it was something that shouldn't be there. Since I don't believe that fat is the culprit - in the sense of 'build up' there must be something else going on.
Enter Type 2 - At this point I fumbled around with the thought that higher levels of insulin or perhaps in my case, more constant levels, might well, over time, be seen as a type of 'irritation' to my arteries that in the long term would lead to damage (plaques)

Through researching metabolic disease, purely by accident I discovered the close similarities of my symptoms with Cushing's disease. Well I know (hope) that I don't have any tumours but I do have a considerable number of the symptoms. Which ultimately led me to believe that cortisol could very well be a main player too. Excess cortisol/adrenalin all used in fight or flight mechanisms would go a long way to explaining physical results of my long term depression/anxiety - brought on - not least because of a high stress workload.

I have just read Gary Taubes - why we get fat and in the spirit of investigation, and with the assist of amazons free kindle app I downloaded Malcolm Kendrick's Cholesterol Con on saturday. By sunday evening I finished - if you haven't read it then I would highly recommend it. It certainly makes heaps of sense in the area's we have both become aware of.
Let me know if you've read it

Gilly

* which I believe are helped to repair by cholesterol - but thats just my flight of fancy, since I cannot but believe if there is a massive amount of cholesterol in an egg and that is the beginning of life development it must be a health promoting chemical

paragliderpete

Hi angua , i havn't read the cholesterol con yet, must get round toi it soon. Thanks for your reply, I've doing some more reaserch on the topis of cortisol, and seem to have found a number of suggestions on how to normalise or effect its levels.
It would appear cafeine as a stimulant, has the effect of raising cortisol release, I drink alot of coffee mainly as a way increasing my fat intake by loading it with double cream. I will be cutting down and changing to decaf.
Vitamin C is supposed to help, and can understand why my intake of vit c could be low , because of the limited fruit intake i have , might be worth adding a suppliment.
Finally It would appear the glutamine may have a benificial effect, particularly by countering the cortisols effect on muscle and fat cell uptake , and help improve insulins effects. Not sure about the science behind the claims, they say it takes about 2 months to show benefits. As I'm in the process of trying to increase my muscle mass , I'm going to give it a try. I the meantime I will tell my GP what I'm on with !!!!.
I'll keep you posted of developments

mandyle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi paragliderpete and angua, I have just been diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes, and have wondered about this possible connection. I have a similar situation to you. I am only eating 1000 cal/day (checked by others) and cannot loose weight. Dr. wants to put me straight onto medication, but I am reluctant to do so. If it is cortisol that is influencing my weight gain over the years, and now diabetes type 2, how can my levels be checked?
Do you any further information on this topic as it is 18 mths since the last post?
Also, what is the glutamine that you are referring to?

Looking forward to hearing from you - it was so good to pick up a thread that I'd been concerned about.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If it is cortisol that is influencing my weight gain over the years, and now diabetes type 2, how can my levels be checked?

Hi mandyle, cortisol levels can be checked very easily with a blood test. I have the opposite problem as produce no cortisol thus have to take it by mouth.

mandyle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi mandyle, cortisol levels can be checked very easily with a blood test. I have the opposite problem as produce no cortisol thus have to take it by mouth.
Hi CarbsRok,
I will get these checked....thanks for the info. No cortisol doesn't sound good either.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi CarbsRok,
I will get these checked....thanks for the info. No cortisol doesn't sound good either.
You are more than welcome :) No cortisol as you say is no fun. The condition is called Addison's disease.
Your cortisol blood test needs to be done first thing in the morning, if that helps.

mandyle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are more than welcome :) No cortisol as you say is no fun. The condition is called Addison's disease.
Your cortisol blood test needs to be done first thing in the morning, if that helps.
Thanks for all the info from everyone.
I have had my coritsol levels checked - fine at the moment, but Dr reckons it could have affected my insulin resistance (as stress can cause it).
After years of not eating much (<1000cal/day) and not being able to loose weight, I have taken advice from the forum and gone on a 'Low carb diet' for the last 3 months (Dr. also agreed), lost a stone in the first 8 weeks. Recent HbA1C dropped to acceptable levels, as well as FBG - Dr says ' treatment working, continue'.....so no medication for me!! Now to keep going.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for all the info from everyone.
I have had my coritsol levels checked - fine at the moment, but Dr reckons it could have affected my insulin resistance (as stress can cause it).
After years of not eating much (<1000cal/day) and not being able to loose weight, I have taken advice from the forum and gone on a 'Low carb diet' for the last 3 months (Dr. also agreed), lost a stone in the first 8 weeks. Recent HbA1C dropped to acceptable levels, as well as FBG - Dr says ' treatment working, continue'.....so no medication for me!! Now to keep going.
Pleased to hear you are sorted :)