Regular moderate exercise log

Oldman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad inconsiderate drivers, burnt out carers who disrespect and treat older people in their care with contempt.
This is a thread where those of us who are not Ironman-ready or triathletes or any other kind of sports superstar can log our more moderate achievements and encourage each other.

I was a very keen sportswoman when I was younger but have really let it slide and these days all I want to do is make my exercise more regular. I have also spoken to/messaged other women on this forum who have similar intentions but we are a bit overawed by our (wonderful, and mostly male) diabetic overachievers. My own exercise habits go in fits and starts, so I plan to log all my moderate boring stuff here in the hope that writing it down will make me do it more often.

First of all: today I walked briskly for approximately 90 minutes!
:)
Hi Ruth W, its not how much, how long or what type of exercise you do, its about what you enjoy doing. If you hate an exercise don't do it. You as you say go for a brisk walk, its about what you did before and after that counts. Gradually warm up just by stepping from side to side, then one leg loves in then out of an imaginary circle. Basically a gentle aerobic exercise. After the brisk walk you can cool down by doing some stepping. If you have stairs in your house walk up and down 3 or 4 treads for 3 minutes. Then sit on a chair and tense the muscle sets in your body. Try to make them work against themselves. It is called dynamic tension. You can do dynamic tension any time any where. Whilst walking, whilst watching your favourite programme on TV or even in bed or in the bath. I have developed my fitness with very little gym work. The answer is little high frequency spurts of exercise. I hope you don't think I am trying to get you to suck eggs, but this work out does work. Best regards oldman

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I agree with all this. Exercising is "easy" but the truth is that we can also easily let it slip. The thread helps us encourage each other.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes, I agree with all this. Exercising is "easy" but the truth is that we can also easily let it slip. The thread helps us encourage each other.

So true.

One way of not letting things slip is to find a form of exercise that you enjoy and which isn't a chore to do, I love walking as I can go at my own pace and it gets you out in the fresh air.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, me too. But before I started this thread, I could let my long walks go sometimes, and suddenly realize I hadn't done more than a twice-weekly twenty-minute stroll to the shops in the last month. Now, a four-day lapse is the limit. I considered just tracking my own exercise on a spreadsheet. But I thought the social aspect might make a difference to motivation. It really does. :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Up to 10 sets of 12 arm exercises today for breast mastectomy x 3 times a day. Quite pround after 8 days since op. Can't fully stretch but getting there.

Reactions: 7 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Up to 10 sets of 12 arm exercises today for breast mastectomy x 3 times a day. Quite pround after 8 days since op. Can't fully stretch but getting there.

Well done. I hope your recovery goes well. Seems like you're doing what you can to help.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sometimes I seem to have overdone things. Think its helped with correct amount of meds today. Will hopefully continue imoroving.
Amazing seems same weight but firmness has turned to flab in a week!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi all, haven't been on forum for a while but have been walking, at the gym and running round a park. Also collecting charity envelopes so that clocked up some evening miles.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome back, donnellysdogs. So good to see you getting back in the swing of things so quickly. Your pre-op fitness will stand you in good stead, I'm sure. And I'm sure there's no flab on you!

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I walked over six miles today I reckon, a bit around central London with my son, so not at a cracking pace. About four miles at a brisk pace on the way home. I ate fish and chips before we started walking and the fat and carb combination worked perfectly! Ended up with a perfect blood sugar too. So it gave me exactly the right amount of insulin resistance :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Welcome back, donnellysdogs. So good to see you getting back in the swing of things so quickly. Your pre-op fitness will stand you in good stead, I'm sure. And I'm sure there's no flab on you!

Definitely turned to flab.. No gardening, no gym!!! Elwhen stomach stopped I only just got into size 10's!! Usually 8's are loose!!

Got burning on inner side of arm that is makinh things more dificult.

Want to get my exercise ball out next week and strap on my ankle weights around the bungalow too!!

Got hubby exercising tomorrow sawing two tree down! Woulf have done myself but daren't at the moment!! I'm sure I can supervise!!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1446251594.797785.jpg

Think I've got a while ago before full fitness exercising again!! Certainly gardening!
Excess liquid now sloshing looks like this!!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1446251727.962212.jpg

Prob too much too soon!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Definitely turned to flab.. No gardening, no gym!!! Elwhen stomach stopped I only just got into size 10's!! Usually 8's are loose!!

Got burning on inner side of arm that is makinh things more dificult.

Want to get my exercise ball out next week and strap on my ankle weights around the bungalow too!!

Got hubby exercising tomorrow sawing two tree down! Woulf have done myself but daren't at the moment!! I'm sure I can supervise!!
View attachment 16315
Think I've got a while ago before full fitness exercising again!! Certainly gardening!
Excess liquid now sloshing looks like this!!View attachment 16316

Prob too much too soon!
Please try to take it a little bit easy, pushing yourself too much won't help recovery.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked about 5 miles yesterday which has left me less exhausted and blood sugars seem reasonable so am happy with that. Maybe that's the amount of walking I need to aim for.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
DD, take it easy, girl. Fluid retention can mean you are giving your heart too hard a time of it. Remember the 'moderate'!
I walked about four miles today. I'm feeling a bit tired, in fact. I think tomorrow should be a rest day for me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oops.. Cut back some ivy today! Using right hand!!

Put on a sports bra with hooks at back today. The foamy prothesis had to be pulled apart from prothesis side and a little stuffed into my non prothesis boob!! Lol:):) bra irritating the hell out of me under my arm from the seem bit, but the scar still looking good.

Plus some washing up and drying up.

Stopped the dulcolax today too. Back to flax n chia seed. Reduced back to 6 or 7mg diazepam as well.

Not too much exercise but enough to feel I've contributed somthing to the wellness of my brain and pain. The increased activity definitely increases my brains management of pain levels.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@donnellysdogs missed all that, hope you are recovering well. Please go easy on yourself, measured progress not hell for leather.

Get yourself a bit of decent walking in, but watch that arm. I have a colleague in Aberdeen who had a nasty leg break earlier this year he's trying too much too soon and I think it will bite back

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked about 5 miles yesterday without feeling exhausted so think I will aim for 4 to 5 miles a day.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Two hours walking yesterday and a four mile walk today plus various household chores.

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Another 10k race complete yesterday 1 min slower than the previous week... So a steady day today... But FitBit charged and joining my mates for the workweek challenge!!! So will keep me active all week!