More or less newly dianosed as type 1...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I suggest you go back and speak to the nurse, demanding a GAD test. Your symptoms could be either, and as they don't know, it's hardly fair on you. You deserve to be properly diagnosed.

Reactions: 6 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Thanks for replying @Juicyj . I presented to my doc origionally with bladder infection.She checked BG which was very high.. So I followed up with fasting bloods which was 16.6 reading.I had been feeling extremely tired,weak , bladder infections on and off over last few years/ and pressure sensations in bladder at times ,continual thrush,thirst,peeing etc.Aches/ pains though not sure if thats related(will be seeing doc about that too shortly) and sleep issues!

Obviously the most important part of any advice is that we are not trained doctors !! So giving advice on forums tends to relate to knowledge acquired or experience gained.

My symptoms of shallow breathing, stinky breath, thrush, blurred vision etc came about in the week before diagnosis, so my onset was sudden and very dramatic, also I lost over a stone in weight which was an obvious tell tale sign as my body was burning fat, before this week I was relatively ok, just knackered and an odd bout of labyrinthitis but nothing that gave me any idea it could of been type 1.

Go back to your docs and ask to get tested, as this will determine how best to treat your high blood glucose ;)

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will ask about a GAD test. My husband was just reminding me of what she said .I brought him along for that very reason ,as in I knew I would probably not take it all in :)! She thinks i could possibly be type 1 1/2 and she wants to treat me as though type one trying insulin as I have been very strict with diet but sugars still high. I have extreme tiredness and weakness a lot of the time so Im very fed up(and have been a bit depressed too) The low carb is very difficult especially as Im not getting the results. Im also vegetarian so choices of foods are more limited making low carb more of a challenge and my life a bit boring.Love my food:) though I have always been a fairly healthy eater.

She more or less said there is nothing to loose and all to gain and if my pancreas gets a good rest it might start working better at producing more insulin again so if I am type 2 that will be discovered and then I can come off the insulin and onto meds.Reckons I will feel so much better on this insulin!She is going to run her thoughts by the doctor but is fully confident that he will agree thats the way to go. She said I am perfectly free to go on other meds if that is what I would rather do,and she will get me to see doc asap, but she thinks it will be easier on me than the trial and errors of trying out the different drugs ....She was so infomative and seems very competent and extremely caring (spent an hour and a half with me..Where would u get that? GP wouldnt give you a minute and a half!)and my hubby has just reminded me how much easier it will be for me eating a bit more normally again. Main down side is injecting but upside of that is no drugs! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

What a worry :( How does your nurse know that you are not producing enough insulin? Maybe you are, but have resisitance which is causing you to feel knackered. I would get every test going. Best of luck and let us know how you get on x

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sobeit As well as the GAD and C-peptide tests, take a urine sample on your next visit to the diabetic Nurse so that it can be dipped for the presence of ketones.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
On the plus side - you are on the radar and how you are feeling with low moods is only temporary, please remember this, it will get better but if I was you then I would certainly want to know and i'm sure they will be fine to look into this. Stay positive it will get better ;)

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a worry :( How does your nurse know that you are not producing enough insulin? Maybe you are, but have resisitance which is causing you to feel knackered. I would get every test going. Best of luck and let us know how you get on x
Thanks I will ask her that .I will be d speaking to her monday and that wil be on my list of questions ,thanks for your reply x

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the plus side - you are on the radar and how you are feeling with low moods is only temporary, please remember this, it will get better but if I was you then I would certainly want to know and i'm sure they will be fine to look into this. Stay positive it will get better ;)
Thankyou for your encouraging post :) !

C-Mack

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck! It was my diabetic nurse educator that helped me the most and started insulin when the hospital kept rejecting the idea of the two doctors who kept sending me back there when they were battling out type 1 or 2 for me.

She did the urine ketone test and looked at my previous blood tests and ketone readings and started me on insulin right away after consulting with the endo on call. 2 weeks later I saw the endo who confirmed the diagnosis.

It helps having the diagnosis but is still a huge learning curve with insulin.

Hope it all goes well for you!

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing @C-Mack. What were u eventually diagnosed with and how was the conclusion reached in the end? Thanks for the good wishes :)!

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Sobeit Jumping in and wondering how this is playing out for you as I am in a similar situation over diagnosis and treatment. Did you get the further tests and a confirmation on which Type you are?

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sobeit Jumping in and wondering how this is playing out for you as I am in a similar situation over diagnosis and treatment. Did you get the further tests and a confirmation on which Type you are?
Thankyou for asking but no,nothing yet .I have a number to text my diabetes nurse and twice I have asked her are results in to say which type I am but she wont seem to answer me on that particular point.I am seeing the doctor on Wednesday so I'm hoping for more answers. I assume u in limbo too!? What a pain eh?..The not knowing.. Hope u r doing well :)

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou for asking but no,nothing yet .I have a number to text my diabetes nurse and twice I have asked her are results in to say which type I am but she wont seem to answer me on that particular point.I am seeing the doctor on Wednesday so I'm hoping for more answers. I assume u in limbo too!? What a pain eh?..The not knowing.. Hope u r doing well :)
Yep I am in the type limbo group, diagnosed as suspected Type 1 by the consultant but the nurses are leaning towards type 2 due to fitting the physical profile whilst one GP believes LADA because of how easily I control my blood sugar levels and the symptoms I had at diagnosis. To be honest whilst I would love a diagnosis of type so that I could turn around and say "No, I am Type LADA" to all those who question it I just get on now with staying healthy, educated and being aware of the possibilities as to how things could play out for me and what I need to do when something does happen.In truth I am quite enjoying the eating side and rehashing recipes to be healthy and interesting.

Personally convinced I am LADA especially as since about day 10 of being diabetic my blood sugars have been consistently in range. And whilst having completely rehashed my diet to a healthy, medium carb, one I reverted back to my unhealthy diet for one day to see what happened and it didn't affect my readings one little bit which to me says I am in the honeymoon period. That was a personal choice to test my old unhealthy diet and don't advise anyone to do it as I know it could have back fired.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's downright angering to hear that some of you still are waiting to hear what type of condition you have. I can only assume this is about saving money (for them not you) because here in the USA I had the c-peptide and GAD tests performed the day after I went into the emergency room (I was also wearing a Dexcom CGM within 1-2 weeks after getting the results back). I don't know what rights you have as citizens/patients, but I'd be DEMANDING those tests if it were me.

Obviously, this is flawed for many reasons, but without those tests the only reason I'd know (read as *think*) I was type 1/1.5 vs. type 2 is because of how sensitive I am to insulin (I sometimes have to inject in .5unit increments). Again, that's flawed logic which is why you NEED those tests.