Ancestry/23and me Genetic DNA testing

S

Shar67

has anybody done one of these tests.
My husband has sent his DNA to be tested and we are waiting for the results, which will be in about 3 to 5 weeks.
We think he will come back as 99% European, mainly German with some British thrown in.
It's like waiting to open a present, you guess what it might be but might get a surprise.
I will update this when we find out

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Must admit I don't know much about this but I'm fascinated!! Off to liaise with Mr Google!!!:)

S

Shar67

I didn't do it myself as I have a very comprehensive family tree, Family didn't travel very far, mum's side are from Derbyshire going back to 11th century, Dad's side from Ayshire and Ireland. Suppose it would be interesting to see if there was Indian Asian in there (very dark hair and skin). Maybe get brother to do one.
Husband's family from Lincolnshire also back to about 13 century and Germany but know idea where

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Interesting. My DNA would probably be quite mixed, I have Indian, Portuguese and Irish ancestors as far as I know.
As a matter of interest can I ask how much it costs to do this DNA testing?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
One item is Symvastatin Myopathy - basically you may have a bad response to Symvastatin. Apparently 5-10% of the population.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had mine tested about a year ago. I have also had my father tested.
Originally, I did it because I had done a number of genetics courses and was interested .I also to see just what sort of predisposition to T1 I might have ( I didn't get it until I was in my fifties)

That sort of detailed info you can't get directly from 23 and me but you can my looking at the research and also downloading your raw data to Promethease. Out of 40 'risk SNPs, I've looked at, I have 17 heterozygous susceptibility SNPs 7 homozygous susceptibility SNPs 5 Snps not tested.11 non risk..Does it tell me much, not really except that I have an increased risk but not the highest.

As for other conditions, I had no family history of breast cancer and was testing at an
age when I was unlikely have had the BRCA mutation (breast cancer) gene It was quite nice to know I don't have APOE 4 which puts you at a higher risk of azheimers and heart disease nor the tested SNPS for Parkinsons (though my mother died with it) But I also realise that these are just highly associated SNPs. and not having them doesn't mean I'm immune from any of those conditions .A high risk doesn't mean a lot if the disease itself has a low prevalence etc.

I did find out I was a non secretor which really does decrease the risk of getting Norovirus (but may increase the risk for T1)

Ethnicity wise, I'm what I would expect with about 60% British and Irish + some Scandinavian/French/ German which is exactly what I would suspect of someone with ancestors in central England. Interestingly, I got more Scandinavian from my mother than my father; all her 17C ancestors were from the bit that was in the Danelaw, my father has some Ancestors from the Western side of the country.

23 and me is an autosomal test. You inherit 50% of your DNA from each parent. As my father has been tested, I know that the half that isn't his was from my mother that means I can see which side of the family any matches relate to (my parents don't share any DNA so were not closely related)
However, because of the process of division, and recombination then each step an ancestor is removed from you cuts the amount of DNA shared by at least half. By a few generations back the segments shared with a genealogical ancestor may be little or none .
http://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA
http://www.theroot.com/articles/his...ness_how_much_dna_do_they_actually_share.html

If you have got a good paper trail though you may be able to find descendants of ancestor's siblings who crossed the Atlantic. and vice versa (a big brick wall for some people across the pond) I found one recently. We share a 5x great grandmother (the link was on the X chromosome which has a distinct pattern of transmission so we know it was her and not her husband). We were only able to do that because my 'relative' had traced his line back to a name I recognised.(he hadn't traced it back in the UK, I hadn't traced it forwards) My husband has also had his tested and has come across a totally unknown 2nd cousin

You have a far better chance of contacting relatives if you download your raw data to a site called Gedmatch. This takes data from 23 and me and Ancestry and FTDNA .

(noticed above response, cost from UK was £125 Statin myopathy, I have an increased risk for as I'm heterozygous on the tested SNP. When I did take them, I found no side effects and indeed was marathon training
(another essay,sorry! )

Reactions: 4 people
S

Shar67

Well result in 49% Western European, 42% Eastern European, 6% Iberian peninsula the rest bits and bobs, some Scandinavian etc.
Have been linked to 37 family trees, 4 are 100% direct descendants.
On the back of this there was a photo of a 4x great grandma who is Dave's mum double, you can see where Dave's features come from, always thought he had his mums eyes but he has granny's mouth.
I'm now going to get the old wallpaper roll out and try to work out linkage and get his mum DNA tested ASAP, want to take her profile out of matches for time being.
It looks like lots of rellies are in USA and South America (lots of Germans went there).
We are going to be looking at Dresden in Germany as well

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the Ancestry test last summer, partly to try and trace my paternal grandfather. Not easy when you don't even have a name! Suffice it to say I am no nearer finding him.

It turns out I am
  • 72% Great Britain
  • 12% Scandinavia
  • 7% Europe West
  • some bits and bobs

S

Shar67

Worse than no name half a name, my biological great grandfather's name was ? Sloan who emigrated to Canada, leaving unwed great nana and baby, this info from my dad who cannot remember his 1st name and the other 2 are dead, how I wished I paid more attention to the oldie rellies in my childhood.

S

Shar67

I hate the name Smith (sorry to any out there) John & David Smith both married ladies called Mary, they named their sons after themselves and their brother, so now have 2 John & 2 David Smiths, these also married women called Mary (people have no imagination what's wrong with Chardonnay) (lol) and named their sons John and David, daughters Mary and on it goes. I have 2 candidates for being a rellie they are cousins and their name is Smith, they lived next door to each other and they belong to the afor mentioned Smiths which one is direct decendant. Whole thing made worse by all living in same parish, talk about inbreeding.
Don't get me started on the name Jones

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Worse than no name half a name, my biological great grandfather's name was ? Sloan who emigrated to Canada, leaving unwed great nana and baby, this info from my dad who cannot remember his 1st name and the other 2 are dead, how I wished I paid more attention to the oldie rellies in my childhood.

My no-name grandfather went off to war (WW1) leaving my lovely grandma pregnant. When I was sweet 16 and realised grandma had never married, I was cheeky enough to ask her who he was. She got upset and said (her words) "the ****** went off to war and never came back". I don't even know if that meant he was killed in action or if he just went to live elsewhere. I do know, from my mum, that he was a married man when it happened in 1914. I have trawled the war memorials, the Ancestry WW1 data, the Commonwealth War Graves data, and the 1911 census, plus everything else I can think of. Nothing so far, and I've been looking for about 20 years! I even sent for my dad's WW2 service records in case there was something. There wasn't, and that wasn't surprising as mum said even he didn't know his name. Such is life.

S

Shar67

When my nana became pregnant with my dad, his family insisted he enlisted (nearly a poem) in the army so he was away from her influence, WWII broke out and away he went, dad was born, he came back to register his son as his, left nana pregnant again
As he went away again, next leave they married in secret, much to the annoyance of his family.
The reason for not liking nana she was ? Sloan's daughter born out of wedlock. Whenever we visited the great grannies we always said they were visited 1st no matter who was 1st but we never visited one without seeing the other on the same day.

Reactions: 2 people