3C Sub forum title (2nd post)

M

mrspuddleduck

Currently this sub forum has the title and introduction as detailed below:

Type 3c (Pancreatic) Diabetes
Forum to ask questions, find support and share experiences with people with Pancreatic Diabetes (aka Type 3C Diabetes)

I feel that as many of the sub forums (including thus one) are currently being reviewed by the administration team, it would be a good opportunity to discuss whether the title and introduction could be improved, or changed to reflect the 'consumer base' that is accessing this part of the site.

My own personal view is that the impression given by the title and introduction is that type 3c is Pancreatic Diabetes and not just one form of Pancreatic Diabetes. I think this could be confusing to people who have developed diabetes due to Pancreatic related ill health when in fact they could be type 1, 2, 1.5, 3c and possibly other types.

Originally I requested a 'type 3C' forum but I believe one of the positive effects of this new sub forum is that it has attracted interest from a much wider audience drawn from the 'Pancreatic diabetes community'. And because of this interest I believe the 3c forum should welcome and accommodate our 'extended Pancreatic family'. Not least because we are all aware there is little in the way of support or information available in relation to diabetes that has been caused by damage to, destruction of or removal of the Pancreatic organ.

I really would value your opinions and (polite! :)) suggestions. To start the ball rolling how about Type 3C AND Pancreatic Diabetes?

Sue xx

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I like @mrspuddleduck's suggestion but to add a mouthful what about
Pancreatogenic (type3c) & other exocrine diabetes.

I actually prefer yours because I think it describes it much better, its far more accurate and Ive never been fond of the 3C thing. My only concern is that newly diagnosed people wont have heard the more technical/medical terms so we would have to keep the 3C in the title. What I would really like is for us as the 'user group' (by that I mean anyone interested not just the pancreatic type members) is to come up with a title and intro which we could then give to the administration team for consideration. So any views would be welcome here or PM me or Shar. (sorry @Shar67 just volunteering you on your behalf!:p)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like @mrspuddleduck's suggestion but to add a mouthful what about
Pancreatogenic (type3c) & other exocrine diabetes
I'm not sure most people would know what exocrine pancreas actually was and how t3c differs from other types, after all my beta cells were caused by damage to islet cells in the pancreas but I don't have T3c. I've certainly seen that people don't appreciate the added problems that you may have (or may not have because like everything it is variable) And then some people have 3c but call themselves T1 ( I'm thinking of a case where a baby had congenital hyperinsulinism and had her pancreas removed )
I was looking at the ADA definition (snipped)
Any process that diffusely injures the pancreas can cause diabetes Acquired processes include pancreatitis, trauma, infection, pancreatectomy, and pancreatic carcinoma With the exception of that caused by cancer, damage to the pancreas must be extensive for diabetes to occur.......If extensive enough, cystic fibrosis and hemochromatosis will also damage β-cells and impair insulin secretion.

Then I had to put in three words for their one (not good at being succinct!) So make of it what you will. (and am no expert ) The trouble is too many words puts people off!

Type 3c diabetes is a result of damage to the pancreas.
There are several ways that the pancreas can be damaged including injuries to the pancreas, infections, pancreatitis, surgery and pancreatic cancer. There are also some genetic conditions such as cystic fibrosis and haemochomatosis that cause damage. However, these conditions don't always cause diabetes. It depends on the extent and location of the damage.

This is because the pancreas two distinct functions . Only five percent of the pancreas is involved in producing the hormones like insulin that regulate blood sugar.( the endocrine pancreas) The other 95% is the exocrine pancreas. The exocrine pancreas aids digestion by releasing enzymes to break up the fats, proteins and carbohydrates in our food,

If damage to the pancreas is widespread enough to have caused diabetes then these enzyme producing cells will (may? not sure how much location matters) have been damaged or lost.
This means that a person with type 3c may have difficulties in both regulating blood glucose and in digesting food. They may have to take supplementary hormones (creon) with their food. Some people with type 3c will also have to take oral medications or insulin to regulate blood glucose

Last edited by a moderator:

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is Pancreatogenic (type3c) & other exocrine diabetes the suggested title?
@phoenix raised some valid points, does the ^^ above need reassessing?

S

Shar67

I put the exocrine together, as there is a Facebook page the pancreatic tree, it was originally set up for pancreatitis support but it became clear that people with exocrine and/or pancreatogenic malfunction found it helpful so the originators changed the name to pancreatic tree (pancreas being the tree, different problems are branches). I have posted on it referring some to this site, also I agree with @phoenix there are people with panc issue that are type 1 etc. I posted somewhere that some people are just diagnosed with diabetes millitus no type given, as type 3c needs a different blood test, GAD and something else I cannot remember.
there are such small percentages that putting them together seemed the way to go.
this site has such good sub forums and support that people will find the one that best suits there needs.