Spinach Bread

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Chia seeds are something I haven't used before...are they very small? Do they feel 'gritty' in mouth. What I was thinking is that I have flour mill ...and wondering if there is any need/benefit to blast some through to make the seeds into more of 'flour' form??
They are tiny little seeds. I don't notice them in the finished recipe.

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chia seeds can be purchased ready milled, which gives a different (nicer) texture to some recipes.

Reactions: 2 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for both of you for the replies!

Looks like I'll be doing some 'googling' for chia seeds and the flour...to decide which I'll be trialling first. It is good base recipe to throw in almost anything and everything...though CHEEEEEEEESE do sound the best ingredient...:D

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been experimenting and I though I'd share the results ...
I've taken the recipe "Spinach Surrender" as a base and tried to make a bread replacement from it. Original recipe at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/spinach-surrender.html

I've basically tried to increase the quantities and add some bulk fibre. I've also removed the ham but you don't have to.

My version ...
8 eggs
150g grated cheddar,
150g spinach (blitzed in a food processor)
2 chia seed "shots" (about 15g)
2 tsp phyllium husks.

Mix it all together and pour into a loaf tin. Top with a layer of grated parmesan for a crust.

Bake for 40 minutes at 160C

2 slices = 1 serving. Myfitnesspal calculates the nutrition as 229 calories, 16g protein, 17g fat, 2g carbs.

What comes out is heavy and solid. I've cut a couple of slices to play with. One I tried to fry in butter and I'm happy to say that it took on a proper golden crust. The other slice I popped under the grill with some cheese and that also worked fine. And it tastes great. Here are a couple of pics...View attachment 15813 View attachment 15814

That looks really nice, will give it a try, i also found a recipe for no carb/low carb pizza so that's on the menu

Wayne36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've taken the recipe "Spinach Surrender" as a base and tried to make a bread replacement from it. Original recipe at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/spinach-surrender.html

I've basically tried to increase the quantities and add some bulk fibre. I've also removed the ham but you don't have to.

My version ...
8 eggs
150g grated cheddar,
2 tsp phyllium husks.

Mix it all together and pour into a loaf tin. Top with a layer of grated parmesan for a crust.

2 slices = 1 serving. Myfitnesspal calculates the nutrition as 229 calories, 16g protein, 17g fat, 2g carbs.

What comes out is heavy and solid. I've cut a couple of slices to play with. One I tried to fry in butter and I'm happy to say that it took on a proper golden crust. The other slice I popped under the grill with some cheese and that also worked fine. And it tastes great. Here are a couple of pics...View attachment 15813 View attachment 15814

Hi i'm making this today but couldn't get chia seeds or phyllium husks, would pumpkin seeds be a good substitute?

D

debrasue

My version ...
8 eggs
150g grated cheddar,
2 tsp phyllium husks.

(chuckling lustfully)...That looks SCRUMMY! I'm definitely giving that a whirl... :)

Russetfox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fresh tomatoes :(
Have got my first loaf in the oven and it smells yummy :D Thank you Geoff:angelic:

John_boy27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Coronation St
Emmerdale.

My version ...
8 eggs
150g grated cheddar,
2 tsp phyllium husks.

Have to get my Wife to try that Mate,, Thank you.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!

My version ...
8 eggs
150g grated cheddar,
2 tsp phyllium husks.

That looks ok Geoffers might give it a go, Thanks
K