Prednisolone & hba1C

steve1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.

I'm a newly diagnosed t2 & just been for my first hba1C.

My question is, for the past three weeks I've been on antibiotics & prednisolone (30mg)to treat bronchitis.
Whilst on the treatment I've seen my BG spike to 22 & mostly stay in double figures.
Would the steroid have skewed the result of test (89), as oddly my cholesterol has come in really high at 9 also?

The Nurse who took my bloods dismissed my concerns around the above, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Thanks for any insight.

Steve.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Prednisone/Prednisolone can have a dramatic effect on blood sugar levels and is one of the most common medications to cause hyperglycemia.

3 weeks of extremely high blood sugar levels could absolutely effect your a1c.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Prednisolone ALWAYS increases blood sugar levels..often dramatically. Not only does it have a big impact on blood sugar levels..it causes the increase in the first place in people who do not have diabetes..hence the term "steroid induced diabetes". My blood sugars went up above 20.0 mmols due to treatment with Prednisolone as part of anti-rejection approach post transplant. From this, I developed Type 2 diabetes (very, very common in renal transplant patients..and indeed a risk we are warned about in advance). I was on 25mg initially and am now on 5mg at one year post transplant...my levels are quite good but still spike to about 9.0 mmols from a waking 6.0, for a few hours after I take my meds. YES...prednisolone will spike your BS and keep it up there where it matters without good diet control or other meds. I am hoping to half the dose next week..but even if I come off it altogether...I will now always be diabetic. it's far from ideal...but better than kidney dialysis!

steve1972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks both for your replies.

My GP has asked me to double my metformin to 1000mg twice a day & start taking statins off the back of this test result.

My BG testing is showing levels between 5.9-9mmol and is coming down with exercise & carb reduction.

Do I really need to double my metformin?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do have a read round this forum about statins and the possibility of increased BS levels (plenty of threads about it if you use the search box)

What was the breakdown of your cholesterol? HDL/LDL/Triglycerides? These are the important figures when deciding on statins.

Do you have any excess weight? Metformin may help if you do. It won't do anything to reduce any post meal spikes as it works on the liver rather than the pancreas. It helps to a limited extent by reducing the amount of natural glucose our livers produce in times of fasting or stress, and is an appetite suppressant.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I would not think doubling the meds would be a great idea. My meds were doubled to no effect. My levels only came down with any real impact through a low carb diet.