What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd urge you to try something pressure cooked very soon, to break the wobble factor. I think everyone has that. Even if you do some bones for broth.

For anything meat related, it's usually best to do a slow release on the pressure as that helps ensure it's tender. As I've said before, my preference is to pressure cook, then leave on keep warm - even if that makes the same elapsed time, end to end.

@maglil55 , @Brunneria and the others may have some suggestions for you.
I have to agree. I always pressure cook any meat then leave it happily on slow release. Sometimes for hours. The slow release is the key to tender meat.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew. I can breathe again.
Update. Instant Pot success!

Cooked a whole chicken using this recipe: https://damndelicious.net/2019/01/15/instant-pot-rotisserie-chicken/ and it worked! Need to work on browning the top first, but very juicy and tasty chicken.

Supplemented by stuffing cooked in the oven, adapting this recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3056/sausage-sage-and-onion-stuffing made up a half batch using half the quantity of onion, omitting the apple, doubling the butter and substituting ground pork crackling 1:1 for the bread crumbs. Used Waitrose 1 Free Range Cumberland sausages (their new recipe is 0.7g carb per 2 sausages). Went for the loaf tin option. Really delicious.

Pics attached - cut the leg off the chicken before photographing so a bit of a mess, but you get the idea.

View attachment 36994 View attachment 36995 View attachment 36996

Well done Goonergal. That looks fab!

Reactions: Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A late dinner here too @DJC3 - home from work much later than usual and waiting for the IP to do it’s magic - hopefully more successfully than yesterday. Two new recipes on trial tonight.

Breakfast was bacon eggs and cheese, with ‘lunch’ of a bag of pork crackling. Dinner will be chicken and stuffing - adapted a recipe using ground pork crackling in place of bread. Will report back later.

Hope tonight’s dinner was more enjoyable. You’ve been full on at work recently, and it’s at these sorts of times it is especially important to have some warm and comforting food to come home to.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal hope IP delivers today! Sounds promising re ingredients.
@DJC3 hope kitchen sorted sounds like your IP will need to be in use today for speed
@Chook and @ianpspurs cheese advent calendar sounds great. I’ve not got an advent calendar this year boo hoo....but have got some cheesy snacks arriving this evening on a Black Friday deal - ‘popped’ cheese zero carb crunchy snacks will let you know!
Hectic day but moved a lot of stuff forward.
Breakfast boiled egg and toasted chaffle
Middle of afternoon DGF millionaire shortbread - last one boo hoo!
Dinner sea bass in lemon butter with cauliflower cheese pudding warmed DGF fudge brownie warmed with yoghurt.
Work tomorrow and on Wednesday morning as need to finish off before go to York’s on Thursday.

I’m thinking I might have to plug the IP in the dining room as the kitchen will be in disarray for a few days. A lot of one pot meals coming up.
Looking forward to your review of the popped cheese snacks. I didn’t get an advent calendar this year either so can commiserate with you. I bought all the girls a cheese one each though

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - How does the skinny bread dough look/feel? You have to be careful not to have it too wet. I measure the water out but I add gradually. I don't always use a dough hook. A lot of the time I just happily knead the mix. You don't knock it back. Is it rising? Mine nearly doubles. I don't use the IP to prove. I pop it on greaseproof on the tray it's going to bake on and cover with a clean dish towel but sit it on top of my range with the oven warming underneath.

My house is quite chilly in the daytime and I’ve seen other people saying they prove dough on yoghurt setting, I think it should be ok like that but I’m convinced now it’s my mixing. It doesn’t look at all wet, quite stiff and solid actually but I haven’t been kneading much as the packet just says ‘mix’. I’d find it too stiff to mix for the 2-3 recommended minutes though so perhaps I really should tip it out and knead properly. It doesn’t rise at all - just sits there, a solid baleful lump.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you considered a hand mixer with dough hooks? As well as my monster Kenwood I have a hand Kenwood with dough hooks. Got it in one of the supermarkets and it was pretty cheap. Doesn't take up much space either.

I didn’t know you could get dough hooks on hand mixers. I have a Kenwood one so I’ll look into it thanks for the tip.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just did a little bit of grazing throughout the day yesterday - not a huge amount, but no meal at all. Grazing on tea, bits of meat and some nuts. Total about a handful of nuts and one of the bits of fillet steak from the failed wellingtons - in little chunks, one at a time. I did take insulin, just once and I thought that ought to be enough, but BG stayed high all day. Only took one Metformin. Maybe it's just this cold hanging around which is doing it, and making me feel not very hungry.

I have a hospital appointment this afternoon (not anything to do with diabetes) where they'll be wanting to take a blood test, so no diuretic (need as much fluid as possible in me because my veins go into hiding whenever anyone tries to breach them) and they'll check blood pressure but that will just be whatever it is - cold may have made it go high, but maybe not. Don't feel like caring very much. They'll weigh me as well - I am lighter than last time - about 9lb - but that was all some weeks ago and I've lost nothing in the last month.

Probably have some scrambled egg before I go out, that and more tea will do me. Or maybe some black coffee instead of tea.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just did a little bit of grazing throughout the day yesterday - not a huge amount, but no meal at all. Grazing on tea, bits of meat and some nuts. Total about a handful of nuts and one of the bits of fillet steak from the failed wellingtons - in little chunks, one at a time. I did take insulin, just once and I thought that ought to be enough, but BG stayed high all day. Only took one Metformin. Maybe it's just this cold hanging around which is doing it, and making me feel not very hungry.

I have a hospital appointment this afternoon (not anything to do with diabetes) where they'll be wanting to take a blood test, so no diuretic (need as much fluid as possible in me because my veins go into hiding whenever anyone tries to breach them) and they'll check blood pressure but that will just be whatever it is - cold may have made it go high, but maybe not. Don't feel like caring very much. They'll weigh me as well - I am lighter than last time - about 9lb - but that was all some weeks ago and I've lost nothing in the last month.

Probably have some scrambled egg before I go out, that and more tea will do me. Or maybe some black coffee instead of tea.
Hope all goes well with hospital appointment. I have to admire your efforts and determination to deal with your health and wellbeing. Proper trooper.

Reactions: DJC3

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I'm still in hospital but I'm sure I'll be allowed home been 7 days time to go! I think im feeling much better but I'm on so much meds antibiotics steroids that I'm rattling inside. I think I've been so sick over the years that this feels normal that's what my gastroenterologist thinks.

At the moment just a bit of a balancing act getting my blood minerals normal. Potassium levels keep dropping to low so they supplementing my levels. So see how they are today.

Breakfast today I had scrambled eggs and real butter which I mixed into the eggs and small tub of full fat greek yoghurt and cup of tea. But the hunger is real I'm eating as much FAT my body is able to tolerate with out it upsetting my UC... but I'm still want more to eat...**** steoroids I call them the devils tick taks haha..
I have been given a small banana with breakfast today which I'm holding onto in case I feel hungry without eating those biscuits they serve with my morning afternoon teas they provide biscuits and yes I have eaten a few but I'm doing as best I can under the circumstances.
Still lots of bush fires here in Australia so the ward smells like smoke and the sky outside is very smoky praying for rain. But at least my view is awesome. Check it out.
I can't test my own BSL I dont have any strips with me as was not expected to be here so being relying on the staff here. I ate a banana after dinner last night was bit bigger than the size they normally provided me in here. Ate this about an hour before dinner my BSL was 10.1 mmmo/l about 90mins or so after eating it. nurses were happy with that me not a as much!
Dinner chicken breast mash potato butter and a few carrots and a full fat Greek yoghurt. And succumbed to two biscuits. Steroids!!! but This morning my BSL was 5.1 mmol/m.
They've taken bloods this morning so now waiting game for results see doctors etc before they discharge me. Im walking regardless haha... but im sure I'll be allowed to leave...
Yah they letting me go but not until I'm popping 8 x potassium tablets was either that or try put in another cannula in and another night in hospital.
Waiting around for my pick up and unwell my BSL 4.1 mmol/m so felt like a hypo only available was banana bread at the coffee shop in hospital.

A very Long day git to my brothers home rhwn 8 had to drive home... I'm home very exhausted I had to drive 2 hours to get home im exhausted so tired but at same time can't sleep

Thanks so much everyone for your support I'm sort of popping around reading posts on here but at the same time my mind is very anxious and I'm still getting overwhelmed and anxiety about everything.
PSX_20191202_200949.jpeg
20191202_200645.jpeg
20191202_195717.jpeg
20191202_141951.jpeg

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still in hospital but I'm sure I'll be allowed home been 7 days time to go! I think im feeling much better but I'm on so much meds antibiotics steroids that I'm rattling inside. I think I've been so sick over the years that this feels normal that's what my gastroenterologist thinks.

At the moment just a bit of a balancing act getting my blood minerals normal. Potassium levels keep dropping to low so they supplementing my levels. So see how they are today.

Breakfast today I had scrambled eggs and real butter which I mixed into the eggs and small tub of full fat greek yoghurt and cup of tea. But the hunger is real I'm eating as much FAT my body is able to tolerate with out it upsetting my UC... but I'm still want more to eat...**** steoroids I call them the devils tick taks haha..
I have been given a small banana with breakfast today which I'm holding onto in case I feel hungry without eating those biscuits they serve with my morning afternoon teas they provide biscuits and yes I have eaten a few but I'm doing as best I can under the circumstances.
Still lots of bush fires here in Australia so the ward smells like smoke and the sky outside is very smoky praying for rain. But at least my view is awesome. Check it out.
I can't test my own BSL I dont have any strips with me as was not expected to be here so being relying on the staff here. I ate a banana after dinner last night was bit bigger than the size they normally provided me in here. Ate this about an hour before dinner my BSL was 10.1 mmmo/l about 90mins or so after eating it. nurses were happy with that me not a as much!
Dinner chicken breast mash potato butter and a few carrots and a full fat Greek yoghurt. And succumbed to two biscuits. Steroids!!! but This morning my BSL was 5.1 mmol/m.
They've taken bloods this morning so now waiting game for results see doctors etc before they discharge me. Im walking regardless haha... but im sure I'll be allowed to leave...
Yah they letting me go but not until I'm popping 8 x potassium tablets was either that or try put in another cannula in and another night in hospital.
Waiting around for my pick up and unwell my BSL 4.1 mmol/m so felt like a hypo only available was banana bread at the coffee shop in hospital.

A very Long day git to my brothers home rhwn 8 had to drive home... I'm home very exhausted I had to drive 2 hours to get home im exhausted so tired but at same time can't sleep

Thanks so much everyone for your support I'm sort of popping around reading posts on here but at the same time my mind is very anxious and I'm still getting overwhelmed and anxiety about everything.View attachment 37008View attachment 37009View attachment 37010View attachment 37011
Winner for your fighting spirit, discharge and sticking to your guns/woe through this horrendous period. The strength posters show in the face of adversity always amazes me. Hope all goes well and life quickly starts to be kinder to you.

Quote edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: annabell1 and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1 you really have been through the mill but somehow you manage to send cheerful posts. Although the journey home was exhausting I bet you are glad to be home. I hope you will get lots of rest and feel better and at least you can now decide what you eat! I think you coped admirably with the food available to you in hospital. Welcome home and take care.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@annabell1 - Amazing views! I hope everything goes right for you now you've got home. You must be exhausted.

I expect everyone is as bored as I am with my BGs but I find that posting it here keeps me on the straight and narrow with regards to food - so I'll keep posting until I'm happy with my BGs - or for another week - whichever comes sooner.

Monday 2nd December

Sunday bed 7.8

Monday FBG 8..4
Breakfast: Advent cheese, Chaffle with sugar free syrup total 2.5g carbs
2 hours after: 9.2

Lunch: 8.2
Remaining little fennel and goats cheese bake : 1.5g carbs
2 hours after: 8.4

Dinner: 6.2
Baked camembert with garlic roasted cauli and broccoli total 16.8 g carbs
2 hours after: 8.2

Bed: 6.9

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@annabell1 - Amazing views! I hope everything goes right for you now you've got home. You must be exhausted.

I expect everyone is as bored as I am with my BGs but I find that posting it here keeps me on the straight and narrow with regards to food - so I'll keep posting until I'm happy with my BGs - or for another week - whichever comes sooner.

Monday 2nd December

Sunday bed 7.8

Monday FBG 8..4

I, for one, am not bored with your bgs. Surely, any menus posted here are fairly useless without some link to how they enable the poster to manage bg/bs? I'm not even going to pretend to understand how to deal with this but the biggest rise there from pre to post meal is 2 which I have read the sages here regard as a marker. The breakfast raised bg by only 1.2, lunch 0.2 and dinner 2- dropped by bedtime. Seems ok to me but the cognoscenti will know better.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Monday 2nd December

Sunday bed 7.8

Monday FBG 8..4

Chook - APologies if I've not been paying enough attention, but your numbers are dropping back a bit aren't they?

I'm always amazed how tenaciously our bodies can hang onto those number before finally giving in! Keep fighting the good fight.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening All.
Breakfast today was slice LivLife toast, thick butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Egg Mayo and Little Gem leaves.
Supper: roast chunks aubergine, red onion (small) and tomato sprinkled with EVO and dried Italian herbs and seasoning.
Might have a g&s in order to celebrate @DJC’s success!

BTW I was looking at cookery books on Amazon today and saw that The Obesity Code Recipe book by Jason Fung is being released on 8 Jan, all LC recipes, but I wasnt able to have a look inside. I am thinking of buying Gino Express for one of the boys.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 fantastic A1c. @PenguinMum enjoy the G and S (The Mikado or Pirates?) Thought about a food fast but really not up for it today. My food: tea, Knorr touch of taste chicken as a hot drink, CWC, 1 of each advent calendar window (20 gms cheese and maybe 28 gms pork scratchings), 50 gms N0 1 Beemster and 56 gms comte. May have either tea or more hot Knorr with ACV. Seeing it on paper now I think it seems very salty - could be a problem so best take took Naproxen. A day to get through really - nothing wrong just happy to see it end and start again tomorrow.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 well done with hbaca1And hope kitchen back to normal soon re review on popped cheese they are amazing could see myself getting addicted to this zero carb snack it’s just cheese but tastes like a crisp like snack it’s been 2+ years since tasted anything like it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheesies-C...c=1&ref_=ox_sc_act_image_1&smid=AZHYDY8YN3FSO
They have 25 percent off on a voucher at moment. Would recommend if could get reduced and the 20g bag has plenty in it I love strong cheese and cheddar has good flavour
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg with half toasted chaffle
Lunch 20g bag of cheesies, celery and bit of cheese
Pm some 100% choc
Evening two lamb chops, cauliflower cheese and mushrooms having warmed lc lemonpudding in a bit.
Lots of work done today caring day tomorrow before head up to York’s Thursday