Another question on spikes - help!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew I'd get obsessive once I got a meter!

The guidelines for readings post meal (<7.8mmol) are for readings taken at 2 hours. I am normally well within that, usually in the 6's. However, I have just started taking readings at 1 hour and notice some of them are higher than the 2 hour reading and not within the recommended levels. My before meals readings are normally in the 5's. I understand that the 1 hour reading helps understand which foods are good/bad for me, but how bad are these 1 hour readings overall when I am back down to within the guidelines by 2 hours?

Just trying to get my head round all this.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Even non-diabetics spike after food. It's bound to be high after an hour. As long as it gets back into target range within 2 hrs.

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In people with normal glucose metabolism post meal bg rarely goes up more than 2 mml and is usually down to baseline after one hour.

I have asked my DSN about the safe upper limit but she doesn't know but said I should be down to under 8 two hours post meal. I have however read that levels that high will cause damage so try to keep under 7 at all times. I often manage to cook meals that make my bg go up only 1 mml after an hour and back to baseline after two.

This site is really helpful: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
under 7 at all times is less than the normal range
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:

Fasting blood sugarunder 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
under 7 at all times is less than the normal range
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:

Fasting blood sugarunder 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

From an other page:

Post-Meal Blood Sugar (Postprandial)
Independent of what they eat, the blood sugar of a truly normal person is:

Under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) one or two hours after a meal.

Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so we are debating different pages on the same site, if you have a source that says under 7 at all times I'd like to see it because your page doesn't say that.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told that I should be under 5.5mmol fasting and before meals, and under 7.8mmol 2 hours after starting to eat. I believe these are the American guidelines, which differ slightly from the British ones.

I haven't found any guidelines for 1 hour after eating or longer than 2 hours.

I did find this for non-diabetics:

Normal blood glucose level in humans is about 4 mM (4 mmol/L or 72 mg/dL)
When operating normally the body restores blood sugar levels to a range of 4.4 to 6.1 mmol/L (82 to 110 mg/dL)
Shortly after a meal the blood glucose level may rise temporarily up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It's a good idea to aim for low BG levels but little point comparing levels with non-diabetic readings. This can leave you continually frustrated with your control. It would be like an asthmatic comparing lung function with a non-asthmatic.
@bluetit, yes, your readings could be improved slightly but certainly nothing to worry about.

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so we are debating different pages on the same site, if you have a source that says under 7 at all times I'd like to see it because your page doesn't say that.
What it does say is this: With that in mind we are safe saying that normal people do not go over 140 mg/dl ever and are only rarely (4.4% of the time in this study) over 120 mg/dl--no matter what they eat.

My conclusion is that if I can manage to keep below 7 at all times I will be able to avoid complications as my bg will as close to normal as possible for a diabetic on diet control. Normal is to be under 6.6 if not at all times at least for 95.6%.

Of course it happens I stray from the strict low carb path but I feel unwell when my bg goes above 8 so prefer to keep it normal.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What it does say is this: With that in mind we are safe saying that normal people do not go over 140 mg/dl ever and are only rarely (4.4% of the time in this study) over 120 mg/dl--no matter what they eat.

My conclusion is that if I can manage to keep below 7 at all times I will be able to avoid complications as my bg will as close to normal as possible for a diabetic on diet control. Normal is to be under 6.6 if not at all times at least for 95.6%.

Of course it happens I stray from the strict low carb path but I feel unwell when my bg goes above 8 so prefer to keep it normal.
that's your conclusion and you are well entitled to have it, but under 7 is only your opinion. When even your source say normal never go over 140/7.8 and is consistent with my post above from the same source, Normal BG spike at 1hr being 7.8

personally I have no issue with a BG target of 7.8 at 2 hrs when the diabetic associations tend to have a 2hr range of 8.5 - 10, depending if T1/2/child. As per the front page of this site

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What it does say is that normal people very rarely if at all go above 6.6.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I give up, you win with your 'unsubstantiated opinion' of under 7 at all times, we can continue this by personal message if you like. I don't think the semantics are of value to the rest of the forum

@mo1905, I don't know about everyone being special but @Scandichic having a low on metformin, was referred to as 'special' in the literature

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
as a prediabetic should I be aiming for non diabetic levels or somewhere between the two? If my Hba1c goes to a 'normal' level should I then be looking at being in the non diabetic range?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as a prediabetic should I be aiming for non diabetic levels or somewhere between the two? If my Hba1c goes to a 'normal' level should I then be looking at being in the non diabetic range?
I'm a T2 with within normal A1c of 5.6% and Fasting BG of 5.4, as per my signature below. so I see no reason why you wouldn't have a non-diabetic target too

Reactions: 3 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a T2 with within normal A1c of 5.6% and Fasting BG of 5.4, as per my signature below. so I see no reason why you wouldn't have a non-diabetic target too

thank you! I have only just started testing again so early days but looks good so far (apart from the hot cross bun but won't do that again!)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And what about readings AFTER 2 hours?
The other day I was 6.6 two hours after starting dinner and thought "yippee" but tested again half an hour later and it had risen a whole point to 7.6. Obviously the meal had a low glycemic load so took longer to get through the system so to speak. I am at a loss to understand some of this.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you! I have only just started testing again so early days but looks good so far (apart from the hot cross bun but won't do that again!)
If you look after yourself the odds are you won't progress to diabetes. so you were lucky to be picked up early
you may find it's your fasting BG that is the last to go down to normal

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And what about readings AFTER 2 hours?
The other day I was 6.6 two hours after starting dinner and thought "yippee" but tested again half an hour later and it had risen a whole point to 7.6. Obviously the meal had a low glycemic load so took longer to get through the system so to speak. I am at a loss to understand some of this.
if you have carbs and fat the spike is often post the 2hr, it's called the pizza effect.
when you are testing food I've seen it said that test at 1 and 2 hr, if the 2hr is higher, test at 3hr.
personally, if it's going to be a meal you will have once a month or more, I'd do 1,2,3,4hr tests as a one off and that meal wouldn't need retesting. most people only have a couple of dozen meals that they eat