Please Share your tips on how to defeat binge eating, especially junk food!

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you too everyone for answering so far. I am not just asking this question because of my own problems with binge eating and control of my sugars, I intend to use all your feedback to write an in depth article on the subject that will help others with the same problem.

Please do keep the suggestions and comments coming.

Thanks again.

Aaron.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Where is this article going to be?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To end the pattern of craving and binging, in the first few days, I need to feel so full and satisfied that I don't want to eat carbs.

Will power has always failed me. Whether I last an hour, a day or a month, if I rely on will power, I WILL fail. Far better to use my natural greed, gluttony and foodieism to best advantage.

So I:

Cut all carbs except non root veg and salad
Eat medium amounts of protein
Lots of fat (pork chop? Better with cheese and mustard on top. Salmon steak? Better with hollandaise. Salad? Better with oil or mayo). Think Parma ham wrapped asparagus, creamed mushrooms with truffle oil, Stilton and walnut salad... Free reign with epicurean delights, so long as they don't have carbs.
Eat 3 meals + snacks of nuts, cheese or ham, 70% cocoa solid choc

Oh, and I test my blood glucose regularly. It is really important to keep me motivated. I have to see evidence that there is a measurable effect.

After 3-4 days of that I really start to not want to eat so much, my appetite gently shrinks, I start forgetting to snack, and the carb craving has melted away. I won't get sudden blood sugar drops, my fasting bs has begun to fall, I've dropped some water retention, I'm sleeping better, and my concentration has improved.

But that is just what happens when I start low carbing. Sometime later, I know I'm going to fall off the wagon and get carb bloat, cravings and all the other symptoms, bs spikes, and so on.

Ideally, I would remember to track my bs, see the nasty evidence and that would scare me back on the straight and narrow. But it is more likely to sneak up on me, a wee cheese cracker here, a chocolate coated raisin there... Until I'm out of ketosis, tired, fuzzy brained and heavy limbed. At that stage it is back to square one.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But that is just what happens when I start low carbing. Sometime later, I know I'm going to fall off the wagon and get carb bloat, cravings and all the other symptoms, bs spikes, and so on.

Ideally, I would remember to track my bs, see the nasty evidence and that would scare me back on the straight and narrow. But it is more likely to sneak up on me, a wee cheese cracker here, a chocolate coated raisin there... Until I'm out of ketosis, tired, fuzzy brained and heavy limbed. At that stage it is back to square one.
And that is exactly where I am right now. I had to eat a high carb diet for one day only, before a minor operation in February and now find it very difficult to get back onto a LCHF diet. (having followed it fairly well for 3 years)

Reactions: 2 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm relatively new to this, only diagnosed tupe 2 in Feb. I am relatively low carbing (《120g day) which definitely reduces cravings. However today at lunchtime I was massively craving carbs and wanting to go out tonight for a beer instead of the gym!! Oh dear :(. How did I get past it, well I told myself if i had my home made soup for lunch and went to the gym on my way home then I would eat and drink whatever I wanted tonight!! The soup took the edge of hunger cravings, the gym made me feel good, did a weight check and found id lost another kilo so suddenly didn't want to ruin all my hard work. I always prepare my dinner the day before so I dont risk deciding what to eat whilst craving or hungry. Tonight was pork steak with curried veg (shredded cabbage, onion, carrot, cauli, broccoli and one potato). Just eaten it and feeling satisfied. Agreed with hubby to share a bottle of wine tomorrow so brain happy with that too. For me preparation is key. Craving over for now so all good :) x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To me, especially in relationships there is the 'feeder'. There is a dominant person that dors the shopping and does majority of decisions on food and eating whilst at home.

I have four female friends who all have their foods decided and cooke by their partners. Since living together they have all put on weight..

The hubbys (partners) pile the same amount of food on the female plates as their own.... The females do not need this amount of food, (neither do the hubbys). However the females have piled on weight since being with their partners...

My hubby would be the same with me, ( especially bad for me because I slways eat everything on my plate and lick it at home!!)... So knowing this I don't allow extras on my plate..

Other than that... Change the roles, Separate or divorce.. Or get smaller plates.

Never buy food when filling up your car with petrol either!!

Reactions: 3 people

mark51

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Negative people, Rain
I used to be terrible if I fancied it, I used to have it. It was worse as I work away 5 days a week. Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have limited myself to one treat day a week. This is when I have a drink and a takeaway, but I still limit my intake. I tell you though, it usual taste absolutely fabulous. Knowing this is coming makes it easier to ignore any cravings. It has also allowed me to loose 11kgs in 6 weeks. I'm feeling so much better already.

Reactions: 4 people

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to be terrible if I fancied it, I used to have it. It was worse as I work away 5 days a week. Since being diagnosed with diabetes I have limited myself to one treat day a week. This is when I have a drink and a takeaway, but I still limit my intake. I tell you though, it usual taste absolutely fabulous. Knowing this is coming makes it easier to ignore any cravings. It has also allowed me to loose 11kgs in 6 weeks. I'm feeling so much better already.

Well done you! I agree, I think having treats to look forward to really helps me too. Currently looking forward to my mates bbq may bank holiday :)

Anabel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying, I am 74 I found out my grandmother had it, I didn't know anything about it, I was shocked. I'm not on medication just diet. I was doing very well till Xmas lost a stone and half, .
For most of last year I was complaining about my eyes something was wrong, November I was told I had macula degeneration in my right eye, I have since had 3 injections and now waiting for another scan. I cannot read with my right eye at all now. I happened so quick, it has blighted my life in every think I do.my bg is between 5.5 7.5.

Blaize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally a bad health scare is enough to put me off the "bad" stuff for life.

I suffer from chronic wind all the time and a while back it would catch in the centre if my chest and nothing would break it and it was painful so for about 4 years now I switched to wholemeal bread started eating more fruit and have been eating right. But I started eating crisps and chocolate and other bad stuff again.

Then a fortnight ago I felt a pop in my chest and a rushing sensation down my body like the energy just drained right out me. Went to the hospital and the confirmed I was diabetic.

Bottom line you don't eat right you will die that scares the bejesus out of me so I'm at it for keeps this time no more junk.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
As the title says I'm looking for everyone's opinions and experience on how you have managed your cravings for sweets and junk food.

I'm guilty of doing this often and it really gets frustrating when you know you shouldn't be eating this kinda junk.

We all do it, some more than others but what is your top tip to avoid binge eating as a diabetic.

Hi, I was doing stupid things, like when I could feel that I was hungry go for the sweets etc. mars, crunchie, biscuits. etc etc. thought that it was odd that I needed to boost my system which it di. but I was always high reading. Then came onto This forum. and since reading a lot of blogs. have changed my diet. ok have the occasional biscuit. naughty. but cut out the yearning to eat cakes bread etc.
\so keep reading these blogs. certainly changed me. I am thinking of what to have at the next meal that is interesting. READ THE BLOGS. Lot of people out there with experience and know how. They will help Good luck Anne,
Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Aaron.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Thanks for that. I have only just realized that the food that I ate was not doing me any good. as my readings were hi, and the 3 monthly tests out here. always showed I was way over. and my doctor said unless I reduce this I would have to go on insulin. No way is it thappening unless I really have too Living in France they are very much for insulin. I know I can control this. Just have to create meals that I enjoy and Yes you can eat some of the things that are your favorites. but in moderation. do not despair. I feel better and my blood sugar is down even when I have eaten naughty foods. so must be doing something right. I check the blogs and see what the forum has to say. and look for things that I would enjoy. I posted a blog on the food I had last night.. I woke this morning and was please with my blood meter results. so It can work.
Like Easter I was so tempted to eat the Easter eggs, but did not . only had a little one.One of those crème eggs. love them. but was ok. Still got a biggy but not eating that. If I did would be over the top. so will look a instead.even though I asked people not to buy me eggs. It was a job, and they still do as they know I have sweet tooth. But you can always share with other people, when you know that you should not be eating something. less is better. Anne

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a T1 - cutting carbs and cooking real food from scratch. And since doing this, I've lost my craving for sweet stuff.

CRAVINGS are usually due to low MAGNESIUM, top up your vitamins and see, I have a great calcium supplement which has Vit D and magnesium in it

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I have a yoghourt each morning called Calin with vit D. plain yoghourt sometimes add blue berries this morning peeled clementine chopped it up and put that in my yog. made a change.
seems to be ok when taking my readings. also had a black coffee no sugar
I have to say that cooking from scratch is what I normally do. as I have when in a hurry had microwave shop frozen . but not nice. fancy it when I see in the shop. but when it is done ugh not so good.but that Is a rare thing.
do other people find it hard thinking up something to eat each day. that they would like. sometimes a nightmare ????

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I would binge on chocolate if I could but obviously can't so I pinched a friend's idea.....I buy 70% dark chocolate, break it into squares and put them in the freezer.....take one or two out when frozen then just suck 'em to death lol....lasts two or three times longer than normal....:smug: