Glucose Tolerance Test

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Since they have a 'sitting target' they may take both tests.
No biggie. Just one extra vial taken before you drink the lucosade (or dissolved glucose).

It always strikes me as ridiculous how differently these tests are run by different places.

My first test, in a rural Welsh surgery:
Powdered glucose tipped in water. Stirred. Down in one. Go home. Come back in 2 hours. Don't running up and down stairs.

2nd, in Grimsby surgery
Lucosade. Down in 3 mins. Go home. Don't do anything strenuous. Come back in 2 hours (actually got the test 2 hrs 10 mins.

No wonder I don't trust the results.

Blimey ive been told ill be sat in the blood unit and not to move untill the test is complete.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nah the Polo mints are ok they are sugar free ones and i have canderel in my tea and coffee not that i have much coffee i prefer tea in a morning.plus glass of orange juice most times
Bin the orange juice mate. In any form it's concentrated sugar!

Reactions: 2 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not of its from fresh oranges it isnt

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh right and they say 5 a day is good for you including fruit juice.Kinda misleading isnt it

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here its 5 veg and 2 fruit serves, and a serve of fruit is 15g
My guess is they have one serve of fruit in the 5 there, so its a 4 veg and 1 fruit

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Its crazy it seems the only safe option to drink for diabetics is water.Ive read that OJ is safe to drink in moderation and make sure its 100% juice.Milk is another one to drink in moderation.I used to drink a glass of diet pepsi with my meals but i decided to substitute that for OJ and that seems a bad choice too.It seems Green tea is a safe option according to a study in Japan people who drank 6 cups or more green tea per day or 3 cups of coffee were about one third less likely to get type 2 diabetes.Women benefited more than men.Makes interesting reading the Japs are usually knowledgable people.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You have to realise that fruit like oranges are sugar that is not good for you. Green tea is good. Diet Pepsi is alright for maybe one a day. Milk has a natural bad sugar in the lactose. But cream is ok weird huh!
I drink black tea no sugar. You can get fruit tasting water that is ok. You have to check about the carbs and sugar.
Rule of thumb in most things you put in your mouth. If it's under 5gm per hundred then it's low carb.
With low carbing it's fine to have a fry up in the morning for breakfast instead of 'healthy' cereal. Cereals are full of sugars and carbs and are no good for you! Even the likes of Special K and porridge spike diabetics.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I followed that link to diabetic drinks. Interesting.

They suggest drinking semi skimmed milk (that really spikes my BG, though I love it), forget to mention that you shouldn't put sugar into your tea and coffee, and suggest diet soda, which studies have shown still manages to affect insulin and BG levels even without sugar content - because the sweetness actually fools the body into preparing for the sugar that never arrives...

Really, there is only one way to determine what your body tolerates - test, test, test.

Here is what I usually drink in a day(but I'm always looking for new ideas!)
I'm currently trying to drink at least 3.5 litres because of the heat.

1 coffee, either bulletproof, or with cream. Decaff
Several glasses of water
1 or 2 sambucol (black elderberry effervescent tablets with zinc and vit c, approx 1g carb per drink)
Herb teas
1x decaff proper builders tea, with milk
Fizzed water with an Aromhuset fruit essence in it (Amazon has about 25 flavours, all natural)
An occasional hot choc made with cocoa powder, xylitol and double cream

Edited to add - I've also got bovril and chicken bovril in the cupboard, which I love in cold weather.

Edited again to add - if you haven't drunk bovril with an added dash of double cream, then you haven't lived. It's a meal in a mug!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just like to test different teas. Green tea ticks all the boxes for me.
If you haven't had milk and sugar in tea for as long as I have. Tea tasting is a different experience. You can't beat Earl Grey after a fish dinner.
Twinings do a half decent English breakfast. I'm not into fruit teas though!

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I dont like black tea i likes a splash of milk in it and canderel.I ditched sugary stuff on the advice of the dentist a few years ago.canderel replaced sugar etc and pepsi max replaced pepsi.i basically have a drink with my lunch vary rarely have one with my evening meal and drink nothing but water in the evening.Maybe to be sure i should ditch the OJ and just have glass of water with me lunch.I guess the diabetic nurse would be also able to advise whats best.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Milk wise we have Semi skimmed and have done for years.I like milk on my All Bran every morning.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You have to realise that fruit like oranges are sugar that is not good for you. Green tea is good. Diet Pepsi is alright for maybe one a day. Milk has a natural bad sugar in the lactose. But cream is ok weird huh!
I drink black tea no sugar. You can get fruit tasting water that is ok. You have to check about the carbs and sugar.
Rule of thumb in most things you put in your mouth. If it's under 5gm per hundred then it's low carb.
With low carbing it's fine to have a fry up in the morning for breakfast instead of 'healthy' cereal. Cereals are full of sugars and carbs and are no good for you! Even the likes of Special K and porridge spike diabetics.

So what about squash then it can be made with as much water as you want.? really go the whole hog and dilute it well down its just like water only with a splash of flavoring.Diet pepsi well i dont tend to like too much caffine they reckon thats not good for you.Fry up eh ? funny you should say that we have a Madonalds brekkie every Saturday morning thats like a treat Double sausage and egg muffin and hash brown for me and a little bottle of OJ in the summer and cappucino in the cold weather.and wifey loves double sausage and bacon.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Milk wise we have Semi skimmed and have done for years.I like milk on my All Bran every morning.

Turning out to be a bad news thread for you, isn't it :oops:

All Bran has an awful lot of sugar in it.

From http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/en_GB/all-bran-original.html

per 100 g; 48g of carbohydrates 18g sugar 30g starch.

So 48% carbohydrate - I know it spikes me through the roof which is a shame because I used to like it as a breakfast cereal.

Never mind, have bacon and eggs instead.

Cheers

LGC

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<Snip>Fry up eh ? funny you should say that we have a Madonalds brekkie every Saturday morning thats like a treat Double sausage and egg muffin and hash brown for me and a little bottle of OJ in the summer and cappucino in the cold weather.and wifey loves double sausage and bacon.

More bad news......

....a McDonalds breakfast is not what we are calling a 'fry up'. In a diabetic fry up you don't have the muffin or the hash brown. Both are carbohydrates.

The cappucino is also likely to be high carb. 10g of carbs in a medium cup, all sugar.

If you eat in McDonalds you can do pretty well as long as you leave the bun, don't have fries or hash browns or any other starchy add-on, and drink unsweetened coffee, tea, or plain water.

Most commercial food outlets make their profit on the cheap bulk carbohydrates they use to pad out the meals.

Cheers

LGC

Last edited by a moderator: