I am female type 1 diabetic for 30 years have complete loss of labido is it diabetes causing this

type1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a female type 1 diabetic for 30 years. I have complete loss of libido. Is this due to diabetes and can I get help for it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that it may be. Just as erectile dysfunction is a fairly common complication for men.

But there are a lot of other possible reasons too, and all of them are worth discussing with your doctor. I know that, for me, tiredness, blood glucose and stress are hugely influential.

The problem is that this is such a taboo subject, isn't it?

Good on you for posting on it! I hope the thread stays current and more people post, because the more it is discussed, the easier it will be to discuss. If that makes sense.

type1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand that it may be. Just as erectile dysfunction is a fairly common complication for men.

But there are a lot of other possible reasons too, and all of them are worth discussing with your doctor. I know that, for me, tiredness, blood glucose and stress are hugely influential.

The problem is that this is such a taboo subject, isn't it?

Good on you for posting on it! I hope the thread stays current and more people post, because the more it is discussed, the easier it will be to discuss. If that makes sense.
Thank you for your reply. It it very much an awkward discussion to have but felt I needed to ask from one diabetic to another if this is a common problem within female diabetics as the doctors seem to be very unhelpful. I hope that more people will share this discussion.

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ste you just on insulin? Many orher drugs can affect libido.

Why should women be treated differently to men as far as sex is concerned?

Hormones levels can affect too as can just life to be honest!! Lustening to guys talk (i have more male friends than women!!) it does seem to be that females sex drive drops significantly after kids?? I don't know as I couldn't have kids... But it does seem that men have consistent urges for sex but women's when they have children to run after etc have lesser needs towards sex.

I personally haven't had a drop off now, but I did when on different other cocktails of drugs and to be honest when my whole life was less active.

T1, 30+ years..

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thyroid dysfunction can cause loss of libido too.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get your FT3 level checked.It is possible your Levo needs tweaking or you may need to add some T3, Depression is a common symptom of hypothyroidism too.

type1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get your FT3 level checked.It is possible your Levo needs tweaking or you may need to add some T3, Depression is a common symptom of hypothyroidism too.
Thank you do much for the advice and I will certainly get myself to the doctor.

C

catherinecherub

I have under active thyroid, type 1 diabetes, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and too top it off depression.
Hi,

If you are being treated for depression then sometimes loss of libido can be a side effect of the medication. Even the meds for your osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis may have side effects.
It could also be autonomic neuropathy.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/#autonomicneuropathy

What is autonomic neuropathy?
Autonomic neuropathy affects the nerves that control the heart, regulate blood pressure, and control blood glucose levels. Autonomic neuropathy also affects other internal organs, causing problems with digestion, respiratory function, urination, sexual response, and vision. In addition, the system that restores blood glucose levels to normal after a hypoglycemic episode may be affected, resulting in loss of the warning symptoms of hypoglycemia.

This article may be of help to you as it gives possible causes.
How to solve six common sexual problems from Diabetes.
http://www.lifescript.com/health/centers/diabetes/articles/low_libido_it_could_be_diabetes.aspx

Reactions: 2 people