Flights and diabetes?

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going from Ireland to the uk next week, 2 hour flight. Apart from getting a letter from a dr to state why I'll have insulin needles in my bag, are there any more things I should be doing before I go?

Kelsie

Nothing, just your dr letter (which I've never actually had to show but have kept it on me just in case) and a repeat prescription :) and to just make sure that you carry anything diabetic related on you and not in holdall luggage :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seems a rather long flight for such a short distance.

The Dr's letter is always handy but doubt you'll need one, however it's always best to get have one in case you travel again further afield. Some gp surgery's charge for letters, if this is the case for you then ask your diabetes consultant or dsn for a letter, they'll likely not charge you.

As for anything else, just make sure you carry plenty of glucose with you and carry sufficient supplies to see you through your trip, if your staying in a hotel then the rooms can get quite warm sometimes, therefore use Frio Wallets if necessary. Above all else, enjoy your trip and do stay safe.

Reactions: 4 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Don't know UK fully but I've flown between Canada and the US several times no doc notes or anything needed. Flew to the UK (isle of Mann) no issues n still no note from my doc about being diabetic.

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems a rather long flight for such a short distance.

The Dr's letter is always handy but doubt you'll need one, however it's always best to get have one in case you travel again further afield. Some gp surgery's charge for letters, if this is the case for you then ask your diabetes consultant or dsn for a letter, they'll likely not charge you.

As for anything else, just make sure you carry plenty of glucose with you and carry sufficient supplies to see you through your trip, if your staying in a hotel then the rooms can get quite warm sometimes, therefore use Frio Wallets if necessary. Above all else, enjoy your trip and do stay safe.
It's Dublin to London, it's actually 1.5 hours. Where would I find a frio wallet, that could be handy?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've never had a doctor's letter for proof that I'm diabetic. The medic alert ID and dog tags has always sufficed when I've been challenged, which was only the once. I've flown all over the world (US and Canada, Asia, Europe and Australia) with that.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going from Ireland to the uk next week, 2 hour flight. Apart from getting a letter from a dr to state why I'll have insulin needles in my bag, are there any more things I should be doing before I go?
Ive never had to show the doctor letter even flying international, just tell them you have insulin at security before they scan it and they wont even question you. try to eat at the correct times and do not rely on the food on the plane, they Ran out of sandwhiches before they got to me once and i had to resort to my emergency carbs in the bag.

dont put you bag in the overhead locker, the moving luggage up there can crush it and damage your insulin

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
I went on a long haul flight 3 years ago and going again in a couple of weeks. I took a doctor's letter listing my medications (which I didnt have to show), repeat prescription and dextrose sweets. All my needles, insulin, meds had to be kept in my hand luggage with labels on showing name, address etc. and in a clear plastic toiletry bag for getting through security.
My surgery did not charge me for doctor's letter as it was just a list confirming my meds and not a detailed description of my condition.