LCHF Soup

K

Kat100

I make a large pot of soup I make a tray of fresh tomatoes and peppers , with onion and garlic and a red chilli for heat, roast it all in olive oil ...then when cooked , blend it all ....add herbs , I guess you could add cream if you wanted to ...but I don't ...
It freezes very well.....

Reactions: 5 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I make a large pot of soup I make a tray of fresh tomatoes and peppers , with onion and garlic and a red chilli for heat, roast it all in olive oil ...then when cooked , blend it all ....add herbs , I guess you could add cream if you wanted to ...but I don't ...
It freezes very well.....
Oooh yum, that sounds a bit like my favourite one!

Reactions: 3 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They're not HF but low carb because they're from the Newcastle Diet diet sheet, not tried them all but love the red pepper and Chlli.
French Onion Soup:
1kg onions, chopped
2 tbsp thyme
1litre beef stock

Veg Soup
2 onions, chopped
1tsp mustard seeds
1tsp cumin seed
2 leeks, sliced
3 carrots, sliced
2-3 tsp curry powder
1-2 litre vegetable stock

Red pepper and chilli soup:
6 red peppers, halved, cored and deseeded
2 red chillies, halved, cored and deseeded
1 bulb garlic, halved but not peeled
6 tomatoes, halved
450 ml (¾ pint) vegetable stock

Mushroom Soup:
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
fresh thyme
400g mushrooms
850ml vegetable stoc

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
  1. I don't actually have any "proper" recipes as such, but I regularly have chicken drumsticks for my lunch and save the bones, skin and any bits I can't get off the bone, in he fridge or freezer until I have enough to boil them up with fresh herbs and usually a bit of celery and sometimes a few slices of baby carrot. Then I use the stock from this and add either a bit more chicken and some mushrooms, or asparagus stalks , or spinach & nutmeg, or sometimes I use tinned tomatoes (which are a bit higher carb for me) , add a good dollop of (sour) cream and blend it all up, which makes it nice & thick and filling. I have a bowl with a slice of cheesey shortbread and butter or some parmesan & flaxseed crisps. My niece makes a great cauliflower and stilton soup and I'm going to get her recipe to try this winter. And an elderly friend used to make courgette or butternut squash soups. You could also have a browse our low carb recipes thread, and there should be lots more low carb recipes if you do a Google search.
Robbity
Bone soup ... carcass soup .... very very healthy apparently.
I still put a few spuds in my soups and stews ... less than before.
Made a very nice lamb broth last week full of pearl barley and a few small pieces of peach added right at the end.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you got any cooking times for those @lessci ?
I like the sound of those ;)
There aren't any times on the sheet, but I do the pepper one for about 30 mins until the pepper/tomato is soft then blitz with my stick blender

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I just make ordinary vegs ( carrot, celery, one potato, some beans ) and do them in the slow cooker overnight, add water and bovril cube, maybe stock cube as well. Will thicken overnight so can either serve as is or blitz with a blender. I even add extra water to cooking meat and use the juices/stock for soup.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooooh there are some scrumptious soups on here.:)

H

Hooked

Hello. Im just thinking of the winter. I enjoy making soup and before diagnosis loved to eat leek and potato soup and butternut squash and sweet potato soup. Since starting to use the LCHF diet I havent eaten any potatoes. I wondered if anyone had any good soup recipes that fit in with LCHF? Thank you:)

I'm lazy. I get a packet of the ready chopped soup veg in the supermarket, tip it into a pan with two chicken stock cubes and diced bacon, add boiling water and let it bubble. If I've extra onion or celery hanging about I add it too.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love making soup.

I think it's my favourite type of cooking.

Usually just start by sweating some chopped onion into the pan with a 50:50 butter:eek:il combo.
Then it gets interesting... Garlic? Chicken? Beef? Salmon? Oxtail? Mutton? Tofu? Miso? Peppers? Broccoli? Cauli? Cabbage? Lemongrass? Chili? Stock? Milk? Cream? Thyme? Tomatoes? Basil? Lemon, juice or zest? Cucumber? Peas and mint? Worcester sauce?

And then, to blend, or not to blend? Hot or cold?

I rarely make less than 4 litres or so, bung most of it in the freezer, in portions, then surprise myself with freezer diving...

Love it.

Reactions: 5 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's some soups from the lowcarbhealthyfat blog, sorry if this post is bit long;
Three more soups
Today I’m serving you three delicious soups. Here in Sweden we are in the middle of winter with a lot of snow. Real winter is beautiful when it is time for the winter holidays and the snow can be used for skiing and other winter sports. But in everyday life, I prefer a winter without snow. In order to cope with reality I will light candles, arrange a fire in the fireplace and then enjoy a warm soup.

Tomato soup with mozzarella

4 servings:

• 1 onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • butter or coconut oil to fry in
  • 2 cans crushed tomatoes à 400 g
  • 1 bunch fresh basil
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 mozzarella cheese à 125 g
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
Chop the onion and the garlic clove. Fry in butter or coconut oil in a saucepan. Add tomatoes and let simmer a few minutes. Add basil leaves (save a few for decoration) and mix the soup.

Slice the mozzarella cheese and serve the soup with cheese, a little olive oil and basil leaves.

Fish soup Thai style

4 servings:

• 600g cod
  • 1 onion
  • 250g mushrooms
  • 1 red chilli
  • 1 yellow pepper
  • 1 zucchini
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cans of coconut cream or coconut milk of 400 ml
  • 2-3 tsp red curry paste
  • salt and pepper
  • few sprigs of fresh coriander
Cut the fish into chunks and the onion into slices. Fry the onion in a pan with butter or coconut oil. Cut the mushrooms into slices. Chop the chilli and cut the peppers and the zucchini into slices. Fry mushrooms, chili and vegetables along with the onions and pour on the water after a few minutes.

Add the coconut cream and let the soup boil. Season with red curry, salt and pepper. Add the fish and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Serve with cilantro.

Cauliflower soup

4 servings:

• 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 small cauliflowers or 1 large
  • 4 dl water
  • 1 vegetable broth
  • 1 can of coconut milk, 400 ml
  • salt and pepper
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 300g sausage
  • some fresh thyme
Chop the onion and the garlic. Fry over medium heat in a pan with butter or coconut oil. Cut the cauliflower into pieces and add to the saucepan. Add water and broth and let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft.

Mix the soup smooth and add the coconut milk. Add more water if the soup is too thick. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.

Cut the sausage into slices and fry in butter or coconut oil. Serve the soup with the sausage and thyme.

Warm avocado soup (sauce)

clip_image008.jpg

An rather easy and quickly made soup that can be used as sauce for chicken or fish, just exclude the milk.
Original recipe created by Birgitta Höglund.

Servings 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Metric US

INGREDIENTS

• 1 ripe avocado
  • 100 ml organic milk
  • 100 ml whipped cream
  • Sea salt
  • Ground white pepper
  • A few drops Worcester sauce
  • A few drops white balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp chopped Chives
  • 1 tbsp chopped Lemon thyme/citrus thyme
  • 1 tbsp butter
DIRECTIONS

1. Whip the cream

2. Mash the avocado in the pan (saves some wash up) with a fork

3. Add milk and spices

4. Bring the mix to boil while stirring

5. Add the whipped cream, Worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar

6. Let the soup boil for a minute while stirring

7. Continue stirring and add the herbs and butter

8. Taste soup for the balance of saltiness and sourness, adjust if needed

TIPS

• Exclude the milk and use for sauce for chicken or fish.

Fish (salmon) soup with coconut & curry flavour

clip_image010.jpg

Enjoy a healthy home made soup for lunch or dinner, this time with salmon or your choice of fish.
Created originally by Birgitta Höglund.

TOTAL 25:00

PREP 15:00

COOK 10:00

Servings 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Metric US

INGREDIENTS

• 200 g skin and bone free salmon (or your choice of fish)
  • 200 ml bouquet of cauliflower
  • 200 ml zucchini/courgette
  • 1/2 red pepper
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
  • 1 tbsp curry powder (your choice for heat level)
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • 200 ml coconut cream
  • 100 ml water
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
DIRECTIONS

1. Slice the zucchini into pieces and thinly slice the pepper

2. In a pan fry the vegetables with curry powder and chili flakes in butter

3. Add the coconut cream and let it all cook for a couple minutes

4. In a pot/pan bring to boil the water, mixed with lemon juice and salt

5. Remove from the heat and add the fish pieces

6. Let the fish rest in the water for a couple of minutes to finish

7. Add the water from the fish cooking to the vegetable soup mix to your preferred thickness

8. Taste the soup mix and if needed add some more spices to your liking

9. Place the fish pieces to large cup or bowl and pour the soup mix over.

TIPS

• Why not make a double or triple batch and use for lunch or dinner later. If not heating option at lunch maybe a food thermos can be the solution.

Reactions: 6 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i live on this mo .. lol
i boil up any old veg left in freezers
spouts peppers cauli brocc etc
i add 3 stock cubes and cream blitz with caynne peeper adds nice heat
to variey it i add chicken or meat of some discriptiion .. all low carb and tasty/
i use the linseed bread to dip in .. xx

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I love making soup.

I think it's my favourite type of cooking.

Usually just start by sweating some chopped onion into the pan with a 50:50 butter:eek:il combo.
Then it gets interesting... Garlic? Chicken? Beef? Salmon? Oxtail? Mutton? Tofu? Miso? Peppers? Broccoli? Cauli? Cabbage? Lemongrass? Chili? Stock? Milk? Cream? Thyme? Tomatoes? Basil? Lemon, juice or zest? Cucumber? Peas and mint? Worcester sauce?

And then, to blend, or not to blend? Hot or cold?

I rarely make less than 4 litres or so, bung most of it in the freezer, in portions, then surprise myself with freezer diving...

Love it.
That's what I do, freeze individual portions and I try and label them.