Me again :/ glucose testing

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey me again sorry to be annoying! Again, any advice would be welcome.

As I said the oter day I've been told in prediabetes but the doctor performed the test with a moniter like the one I have at home which is an Aviva acu chek... He asked me to continue to monitor my blood sugar using my moniter at home and tell him what the results are.

The results all look "normal" but I'm not really eating many carbs... Over the weekend I ate at Wagamama, Yo Sushi on 2 occasions and a place called Benihana but only had small amounts of white rice each time... The results all stayed in the "normal" ranges but is this because I'm eating only a small amount of carbs? Would the sugar in the foods raise the levels as well as sugar from the carbs? I really don't understand and getting more stressed about it by the day... I'm terrified that I've made myself diabetic (through poor diet and PCOS though I've always been in to sport and diabeties doesn't run in my family) I'm sorry if I sound poorly informed, which I am... I'll post the blood results I've been getting with my blood moniter below!

Wednesday
10pm (3hrs post pasta) 7.0 & 7.7

Thursday
Fasting 5.3 & 5.2

1hr post lunch (2xwholemeal bread, turkey, salad, mayo and green juice) 7.2

1.5hr post lunch 6.8

2hr post lunch 6.4

Random late afternoon/pre meal 4.8

2hr post supper (chicken in fruity curry sauce 5.4

Friday
Fasting 4.9 & 5.4. & 5.5

2 hrs after meal (wagamama katsu curry and squid 6.7 & 6.4

Saturday
Fasting 10hrs 5.3
Fasting 11hrs 5.7 & 6.4

2hrs post meal (Yo sushi tempura shrimp, katsu selection, spicy chicken salad)

2 hrs post supper (benihana) 5.8

Random before bed about 3.5hr after supper 5.4 & 5.2

Sunday
Fasting 5.4 & 5.5

2 hrs post supper (yo sushi) 5.4 & 4.9 & 4.4 & 5.1

Monday fasting (10.5hrs) 4.5 & 4.8 & 5.0
Fasting (13hrs) before breakfast 4.9

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They all look pretty good to me.
Do as your Dr says, try not to worry, & then go back and discuss the results with him.

Everyone's blood glucose will increase after food even if they don't have diabetes. I think I read somewhere it can go up as high as 9 or 10 after big meal.

I'm Type 1 and if I had readings like yours I'd be doing cartwheels & going out to celebrate!

Reactions: 2 people

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They all look pretty good to me.
Do as your Dr says, try not to worry, & then go back and discuss the results with him.

Everyone's blood glucose will increase after food even if they don't have diabetes. I think I read somewhere it can go up as high as 9 or 10 after big meal.

I'm Type 1 and if I had readings like yours I'd be doing cartwheels & going out to celebrate!

Much like @lck23 I am still learning about all of this.
Am I right in assuming it's not so much that our BG level rises, as it seems everyones does even non-diabetics, but it's how it deals with it/how fast it normalises/that it returns to normal before another rise to stop an accumulation that are the issues?

Also, @lck23, try not to worry too much. One of the first pieces of advice I got on here was that worrying can cause BG to rise too. It helped me learn to chill out a bit!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Much like @lck23 I am still learning about all of this.
Am I right in assuming it's not so much that our BG level rises, as it seems everyones does even non-diabetics, but it's how it deals with it/how fast it normalises/that it returns to normal before another rise to stop an accumulation that are the issues?

Also, @lck23, try not to worry too much. One of the first pieces of advice I got on here was that worrying can cause BG to rise too. It helped me learn to chill out a bit!

Yes. Being type 1 my pancreas does nothing, I need injected insulin to deal with the carbohydrates. Essentially if you are Type 2 your system works, but not as well as it should.

Others will be along with a more technical description I'm sure.

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Being type 1 my pancreas does nothing, I need injected insulin to deal with the carbohydrates. Essentially if you are Type 2 your system works, but not as well as it should.

Others will be along with a more technical description I'm sure.
But is the fact that I'm eating low carb and eating brown bagel instead of white making my sugar levels go down? So essentially if all my readings on my monitors are in "normal" range but then did that test at the doctors where you drink glucose, my results would be a lot higher potentially in diabetic levels or is that unlikely?

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
But is the fact that I'm eating low carb and eating brown bagel instead of white making my sugar levels go down? So essentially if all my readings on my monitors are in "normal" range but then did that test at the doctors where you drink glucose, my results would be a lot higher potentially in diabetic levels or is that unlikely?
Also, I tested after breakfast which was:

1 wholemeal bagel
Flora spread
Strawberry jam
Glass of orange juice
Banana (6inch)

After 1hr 5.7 & 5.9
After 2hrs 5.9 & 6.3 & 6.7

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It all looks normal to me, too.

You are clearly stressing about this, so I suggest you go back to your doctor and ask for an HbA1c test or a glucose drink test. If you have the glucose drink test you need to eat normally (not low carb) for a few days beforehand.

I a type 2, and my levels are well controlled, but if I ate that breakfast I would be sky high and in double figures.

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Massively stressing :(

What does eating low carb before the test do? How does it affect it?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Massively stressing :(

What does eating low carb before the test do? How does it affect it?
lck, please chill

You're eating carbs galore. Brown bagel with strawberry jam would spike most of us into the stratosphere and you are taking it in stride. You are not diabetic and almost certainly not prediabetic either. For a GP to diagnose prediabetes on the basis of one random BG test with a home meter and no controlled conditions is beyond a joke. I would be up for giving him a firm reprimand for getting you all stressed out like this for absolutely no good reason. Ask him to do an HBa1C test on you or stfu.

By all means adopt a healthier diet but otherwise please get on with your life, there is "nothing to see here". Really!

Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this site might help you take the worry out of it, I think, if you want to do something for your long term health, don't eat any wheat flour products and put some healthy fats/oils in your diet
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

this is diabetic stuff, you can eat more carbs than this, but its worth reading
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf and a video down the page

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/low-carb-mediterranean-diet/
http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management

Reactions: 2 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also, I tested after breakfast which was:

1 wholemeal bagel
Flora spread
Strawberry jam
Glass of orange juice
Banana (6inch)

After 1hr 5.7 & 5.9
After 2hrs 5.9 & 6.3 & 6.7

Ick you really are getting worked up over nothing
Calm down as spiker says your Dr has done you no favours and I wouldn't be happy with him.
As for your post breakfast readings like bluetit I couldn't eat that I would be in the 20s,
If I had eaten it and was getting your numbers I would be doing cartwheels.

Reactions: 5 people

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for being so kind! I can't really talk to anyone else about this as they get impatient with me :/

Thanks for the info! I just hope that I do the self testing correctly (wash hands with soap and water, prick finger, let hand hang low and wait for some blood to appear - sometimes it's a lot and other times it is minimal, hold the test strip on and wait the 5 secs)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Based on the testing results presented so far I hereby declare that @lck23 is not diabetic! :nurse:
(Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and admit that the preceding statement may be incorrect.)

Reactions: 3 people