Help

Rufus2013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 diabetic and red a lot on Google and now really depressed about what will happen in the future nothing good

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Rufus

Sit back take a deep breath it's by no means all doom and gloom,
The Internet is a wonderful tool but it's also full of rubbish.
The first thing is you are not alone in this there are millions of us out there living and leading normal lives all we have to do is take a little more care of ourselves.
You have found a good place here tell us your concerns ask questions and plenty of people will try to help.

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Rufus2013 :)
Have you recently been told that you are type2 diabetics or you have been type2 for quite some time.
There is no need to be depressed, you just need to control your diabetics and avoid that dreaded sugar.
There will be lots of help from this nice and friendly forum, so please take time sorting things out.
Daisy1 should soon come along and give you the basic advice.
Best of luck in all your new diets etc; and please be moderate and also remember we are all different in the way diets work with our control.:)

alliebee

Just sending my best wishes Rufus. Welcome. The guys on here are a fantastic support and we wish you well

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Remember you are now in control of your situation, you have taken the first step towards controlling it by coming here.

As well as reading all the information here and asking questions, take some time to read the success stories threads as well and you will find it is not all doom and gloom.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 diabetic and red a lot on Google and now really depressed about what will happen in the future nothing good
Forgot to say, your lovely dog looks as if he/she will brighten up everybody's day, is that a lightbulb in her/his mouth :):):)

Rufus2013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is Rufus no he has a toy in his mouth he is lovely but as he is only a puppy he is a bit lively

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome Rufus and Rufus!

Tell us a bit about your diagnosis, what your levels are, if you need to lose weight, if you are on any meds, what sort of food you eat, and what your concerns are. We are here to help. We have all been through the early stages and understand just how you feel. It really isn't all doom and gloom.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Rufus and welcome

Is the other Rufus a black lab?

As others said tell us a bit more about yourself and let us know if you have questions.

I know it is easier said than done but try to relax. There are plenty of old hands on this forum that will be able to help you get on top of this thing.

All you'll need is a bit of discipline to make some adjustments to your diet and lifestyle and soon you will find yourself thinking you never felt healthier.

Take care

Pavlos

Rufus2013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in June as I found myself floating around tescos my blood sugar was tested it was at 37 I went to hospital and was diagnosed I was aware something may be wrong as I was thirsty and using the loo a lot more I had several appointments with the nurse I am on 4 metformin and 2 gliclazide a day my sugar is about 8.2 when I last tested it as I was so stressed about it the doctor told me not to check it i need to loose weight I am doing ok with that it is so confusing what I can and can't eat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought Gliclazide is one of the drugs that requires testing before driving?

How do you use your meter? Have you been testing your meals out by testing before you eat and 2 hours afterwards? That is the correct way to do it. Then you look at the difference between the before and after. If it is more than about 2.5mmol/l there is something amiss in that meal that needs attention.

If you give us an idea of what you normally eat in a day, maybe we can help you.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
basically all the advice will tell you to reduce carbs, with gliclazide as buluetit said, you need to test. You can go too low when you don't eat enough carb with it

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of us are told not to test but most of us go ahead and test anyway as we see it as the best way of know if foods effect us or not, and therefore testing is a way of giving ourselves control over the situation.

With testing, is it the results that stress you or the testing process itself. Stress will probably put your levels up as well. As far as weight loss goes, some here prefer the quick, fairly harsh diets, and no doubt will be on to tell you the options soon enough, I started counting the carbs more and that has been enough to control the BS and help me loose weight, all be it at a slower rate. When buying anything, check the total carbohydrate content on the lable not just the sugar content, all carbs become sugar. How much carbs you can manage depends on how well your body can process it, recommended levels are about 250-300g per day, I manage at 100-120g per day, others are better going as low as 30g per day. It sounds against common advise, but you might find that you need to increase your fat intake by changing to full fat options, which incidently normally contain less sugar as well.

Rufus2013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast
Fruit and fibre with skimmed milk

Lunch
Brown bread sandwich with meat filling mini chedders and a pear

Dinner
Brown pasta or potatoes with meat or salmon and veg

Supper

That's my day of eating

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Supper

That's my day of eating
I couldn't eat that without a really high BG reading, you will need to work with dr about glic dosage if you cut carbs

what I did was cut all grain, grain product, potato and sugary stuff, till I learnt what to eat

this helped me
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
http://diabeticmediterraneandiet.com/low-carb-mediterranean-diet/
http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Supper

That's my day of eating

I have highlighted in red the foods that would spike my levels through the roof. I imagine your nurse has told you to eat carbs? To swap from white to brown bread and pasta? Has this helped you? No, it hasn't. Now is the time to try something different.

You might be well advised to cut out the morning and evening cereal. Try a Greek yogurt (plain) and add a few berries for breakfast. Or eggs - cooked any which way, bacon and eggs with tomatoes and mushrooms too. No bread though until you test it out..

Bread, cereals, pasta, potatoes and rice are very high carb and all turn to sugar once in your system, including the brown versions. You also have to be very careful with fruit and milk as both contain a lot of sugar. We don't want sugar in our systems, therefore we have to cut down on carbs, especially those I mention. Lunch time perhaps just have the meat and cheese at lunch, with more meat and more cheese, a tomato, a chicken leg or breast, ham, beef, salmon, tuna, more eggs. Any meat, any fish, any eggs. Again, no bread.

For dinner, remove the spuds (or cut down the portion) and replace with different vegetables.

You can use your meter to tell you what you personally can manage carb-wise. It may be you can cope with a couple of small spuds or a slice of bread and butter with a meal. I know I can, but I also know others can't. We are all different. Try it. Test before you eat and then 2 hours after your first bite. If the rise is too much (over 2.5mmol/l) try again another day with a smaller portion of carb and keep going until you find the portion that is right for you. I know I can have 1 slice of bread. I cannot have 2 slices. Some folk can, some folk can't have any. You will only know what you can have by testing.

If you do this and cut the carbs right down you will need to see the doctor because of your Gliclazide dose, which may need reducing once your levels come down a bit..

Please browse round this forum look at what others are eating, look at some of the recipes and suggestions, and do come back with any questions. I know it is confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As any diabetic.. You can have a great life and actually healthier (I believe) than non diabetics.

You'll be checked regularly medically wise. You can accept eating healthier and enjoy it.

Diabetes of any type is accepting a different lifestyle of eating to what has nowadays pretty much become a **** unhealthy diet for many.

You can have a **** good life still. Life after all is what you make it...

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I recommend the full fat Greek yoghurt!
Can get it at Tescos, co-op etc. lovely with a couple of strawberries. Yum!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can have whatever yogurt you like. However, it is wise to check the label for total carbs. The best ones for us are full fat Greek yogurts (plain) such as Fage Total. Always check the labels for carb content, and compare brands.

Reactions: 2 people