Dr. changed my needles

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alasdair do you mean you're getting lower blood sugars from the shorter needles...?

That's interesting/confusing... I did have the 4mm ones but my GP suggested I may have better absorption with *longer* needles... I used one of the 8mm needles she gave me to try and it hurt like hell! So I haven't tried again - but thought I 'should' try the 6mm after what she said... But I think you're saying that shorter is what gives you better absorption...?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I think the change in needle length - either shorter or longer - will have an impact as it's injecting into a different area if tissue

Reactions: 2 people

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My needles have just been changed from bd micro fine. I now have unifine needles. Which are definitely cheaper as they feel flimsy and when I use them they don't feel smooth, like they're catching when I inject!!! Not nice!
I'm going to request different ones on my next prescription!
Has anyone else had this problem?

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My needles have just been changed from bd micro fine. I now have unifine needles. Which are definitely cheaper as they feel flimsy and when I use them they don't feel smooth, like they're catching when I inject!!! Not nice!
I'm going to request different ones on my next prescription!
Has anyone else had this problem?

The same thing was happening to my 15 year old. We changed him back pretty quickly.

Yelekreb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find BD micro fine hurt a bit and the needle seems to bend. I thought this was my bad technique, but pharmacist confirmed others have found same problem. Any one have problems with them?

Yelekreb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4mm - really the smallest I think. My latest prescription came back with 6mm - I enquired why and was told it was a mistake. I believe needle length can affect the rate of insulin absorption (i.e. longer will be quicker if it hits muscle) - not something I want to mess with. I have a new box of another make to try after the current ones run out - I will keep you posted.

Yelekreb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had Mylife Penfine 4mm supplied - much better - hardly feel them and don't bend!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
mine has been changed to GlucoRx FinePoint I used 1 first time today and it felt better than the BD needles I was on

they are 5mm 31gauge same as my old ones

dstvman

The Omnican are total rubbish. I had high BG with them for over 2 months until I changed back to BD. Now all back to "normal". There is another thread on the forum where I and someone else had the same issues. My nurse at the GP is excellent as she used to be my consultants nurse so at least knows about diabetes and she immediately changed my script back. I think what happens with the Omnican needles is they are slightly thinner than the BD and others. They go in so nicely without bruising BUT they introduce back pressure onto the pen so you DON'T get the full dose you just dialled up. Take care everyone

andrewkerr91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The same thing happend to me, I got my diabetic nurse to write to my doctor explaining that I didn't like the needles etc. I personally want to feel comfortable using the needles as I am the one who is sticking them in me 4-5 days for the foreseeable future. It was all due down to my doctors trying to cut there budget. It's a shame they try and fob off genuine people who need there medicine and pay taxes into
The system.

smithyxxx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi new member here and searching the internet for Finepoint GlucoRX 5mm 31g 0.25mm needle problems I came across this thread.I have used BD microfine needles for a lot of years with no problems apart from the odd blocked needle,I was changed to the finepoint needles around a month ago and have had a lot of problems, which I am now trying to resolve with my doctors and chemists.The first problem I noticed was that around 8-10 needles per box are not sealed hence no longer sterile,a lot of the needles are not straight and are bent when the cap is removed,others bend on use,injection sites on my stomach and legs are easily bruised with others becoming very itchy and red and some with small puss filled spots after a day or two_One of the worst experiences has been around 20 or so of these needles have been very difficult to inject using my novo pens and when I cut off the needle the insulin squirts out from the chopped needle,hence you do not know how much insulin you have taken or if any at all.For the last week after having three of these needles do this I have noticed a spike in my levels and had to inject again,this morning was the final straw where one of the needles came out of the plastic holder and my wife was just able to grab it from my leg with a pair of tweezers.The chemist has given me an emergency issue of the BD needles after viewing the evidence I gave them,IE a brand new box opened in front of her and 7 open needles no longer sterile,and I also kept a needle that was blocked solid connected it to my pen and showed them that it would not issue 10 units of insulin the insulin came out when I cut the needle off in front of them,but we also saw insulin escaping up the threads of the novopen which should be getting injected this is due to the pressure caused by pressing the pen top,a lot of people may actually miss this happening especially old age and young children.I am now waiting for phone calls from my doctors and chemist while they decide what to do,if you are using these needles please check carefully and always do an airshot before using them to make sure the insulin is coming out,personally I will be refusing to use them again.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hope you get changed back to the BD needles @smithyxxx, you've had an awful time with the Finepoint and you did right to report the issues you were having with them.

smithyxxx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get changed back to the BD needles @smithyxxx, you've had an awful time with the Finepoint and you did right to report the issues you were having with them.

Hi noblehead thanks for the reply,I dont believe how many people are complaining about these needles, I have found a lot of negative reports about them,the big worry is some people may not realise they are not getting their insulin due to blocked needles etc and also having to use needles that are no longer sterile due to being open in the box.I understand this may be a cost saving exercise by the clinics but in the long run the waste of insulin and cost of having to use extra needles I imagine will soon cancel out the savings.At one point this morning the needle that came out of the unit altogether had gone in my leg far enough to warrant a visit to the A and E department,we only just managed to grab it with tweezers,I cant imagine the cost of a surgeon having to do this.Still waiting for my phone calls but I will be pushing for the BD needles from now on.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
TBH I've had the odd BD needle with the paper backing not sealed but they've been very few and far between, just as well you managed to get the broken needle out with the tweezers as the alternative would have been a visit to A & E or your Dr's. Good luck and hope they put them back on your repeat.

iScream

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been switched to 4mm, no more pinching! Hopefully i have less bruising now.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
smithyxxx cheers for the heads up, I,ll have to keep an eye on these needles

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi new member here and searching the internet for Finepoint GlucoRX 5mm 31g 0.25mm needle problems I came across this thread.I have used BD microfine needles for a lot of years with no problems apart from the odd blocked needle,I was changed to the finepoint needles around a month ago and have had a lot of problems, which I am now trying to resolve with my doctors and chemists.The first problem I noticed was that around 8-10 needles per box are not sealed hence no longer sterile,a lot of the needles are not straight and are bent when the cap is removed,others bend on use,injection sites on my stomach and legs are easily bruised with others becoming very itchy and red and some with small puss filled spots after a day or two_One of the worst experiences has been around 20 or so of these needles have been very difficult to inject using my novo pens and when I cut off the needle the insulin squirts out from the chopped needle,hence you do not know how much insulin you have taken or if any at all.For the last week after having three of these needles do this I have noticed a spike in my levels and had to inject again,this morning was the final straw where one of the needles came out of the plastic holder and my wife was just able to grab it from my leg with a pair of tweezers.The chemist has given me an emergency issue of the BD needles after viewing the evidence I gave them,IE a brand new box opened in front of her and 7 open needles no longer sterile,and I also kept a needle that was blocked solid connected it to my pen and showed them that it would not issue 10 units of insulin the insulin came out when I cut the needle off in front of them,but we also saw insulin escaping up the threads of the novopen which should be getting injected this is due to the pressure caused by pressing the pen top,a lot of people may actually miss this happening especially old age and young children.I am now waiting for phone calls from my doctors and chemist while they decide what to do,if you are using these needles please check carefully and always do an airshot before using them to make sure the insulin is coming out,personally I will be refusing to use them again.

I would ask your GP if he is going to notify the MHRA of the problems. He should if he has seen any adverse reactions to products that he has supplied to a patient.

However you can do this yourself too. Its not only adverse reactions to drugs but also medicsl aids and equipment that should be reported too.