Just how important is the 'Dawn Phenomenon'?

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read and understand what a liver dump is, but I am struggling to understand what the risks/wories are
I have a fairly reasonable control throughout the day, ranging from 4.8 to 5.5, but almost always have a fasting reading of 5.8 to 6.4 ( i take a reading after I have been up for half an hour and had a shower, but bear with me!)
Now, if I average the readings its not too bad, and realising that a liver dump is a natural occurence, just what is the threat of one??
Am I worrying about something that isnt /shouldnt be worried about?!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would stop worrying. There is nothing you can do about it. Your levels are good. The main problem with a liver dump is that it can keep you at that raised level until your next meal, which means your next meal will end up higher, and so on. If that doesn't happen, and your liver dumps disappears before you eat, all well and good. Fasting readings are often the last to come down.

I had a liver dump this morning. At midday I was 5.3. Then I did some strenuous cleaning in the house, so my liver decided I needed some more glucose. By 1pm it was up to 5.9, so no doubt my lunch will now take it up even higher. I have no control over that, so am not worrying. Or I could just retire from housework!

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you take the highest, yet alone the average, it's still good.
Fasting in a 'normal' range is up to 5.9, after food is up to 7.8.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read and understand what a liver dump is, but I am struggling to understand what the risks/wories are
I have a fairly reasonable control throughout the day, ranging from 4.8 to 5.5, but almost always have a fasting reading of 5.8 to 6.4 ( i take a reading after I have been up for half an hour and had a shower, but bear with me!)
Now, if I average the readings its not too bad, and realising that a liver dump is a natural occurence, just what is the threat of one??
Am I worrying about something that isnt /shouldnt be worried about?!

I'd agree with the others, but I would urge you to test as soon as you get up, as that's your true fasting level. Once up and about, your liver, possibly justifiably, thinks you want energy for all that moving around, so is more likely to dump. I haven't seen it myself, but others have reported a hot shower increasing theirs scores.

Have you tried testing immediately you get up? For me, my routines is, wake > loo > weigh, if it's weigh day> test > kettle on, and so on. That way I know I don't have any external influences at play.

Give it a whirl and see if the numbers are any different.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Unless your fasting number is over 7.8 mmol/L OR it appears to be steadily rising over time (weeks/months) it is not a concern.:nurse:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Can you tell me where you get the 7.8mmol/l fasting level from?
On second thought that does seem a bit high for a fasting level. :pompous: This page gives a good discussion on what blood glucose levels may be causing various kinds of damage: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php.

The one paper that stands out to me is:
"Prolonged Exposure to Blood Sugars Over 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) Kills Human Beta Cells"

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I wouldn't attach much importance to the fasting test as it's of limited value. Liver dumps are not a problem; just part of the body's normal processes. The more useful blood tests are, of course, the HBa1C and also the 2 hour post-meal test together with pre-meal if needed.