Prediabetes diagnosis

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a sausage sandwich. Just one slice at lunch today and all OK. How are you with unsweetened yoghurt?

Was it an ordinary sausage or one of those 85% meat ones? Ordinary sausages have cereal in and therefore a lot of carbs.

I have 100g of Fage Total Greek yogurt every morning (4 carbs). I add about 4 chopped up strawberries (4 carbs for 60g) and they sweeten it for me. I sometimes have raspberries, but they are a bit more tart, and occasionally some sliced apple in the skin, but not much. I am fine with this.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Was it an ordinary sausage or one of those 85% meat ones? Ordinary sausages have cereal in and therefore a lot of carbs.

I have 100g of Fage Total Greek yogurt every morning (4 carbs). I add about 4 chopped up strawberries (4 carbs for 60g) and they sweeten it for me. I sometimes have raspberries, but they are a bit more tart, and occasionally some sliced apple in the skin, but not much. I am fine with this.
Well, this is a learning curve! They were 70% pork. No wonder 1.5 of those and 2 slices of Burgen spiked me. Rather not be having to test like this, but it is very interesting. So many hidden sugars!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Lynn1 what you may be seeing (with the sausage) is that depending on thr quantity of fat to carb it contained it may have delayed your peak. I see this regularly with no rise at an hour peak at 2 and down at 3. Foods that really do this to me are: ice cream, Roast dinners, cheese especially melted and surprisingly rice! Cheap fatty cereal full sausages may well be the same. The next time you have that food test at 1 and 2 hours.

BTW 8 mmol/l is a reasonably ok number for a peak. I have measured my wife and daughter who regularly go into the low 8s when they carb up.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, this is a learning curve! They were 70% pork. No wonder 1.5 of those and 2 slices of Burgen spiked me. Rather not be having to test like this, but it is very interesting. So many hidden sugars!

You can get high meat content sausages at supermarkets or the butcher, but they are more expensive. I think the trick is not to buy cheap ones and read the labels if they are packaged, or ask the butcher. There are a lot of people on here that eat these sausages who will help if you want to continue eating them. Personally I don't like sausages. You could try bacon next time - no carbs in that. You are right, it is a steep learning curve, but necessary.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You can get high meat content sausages at supermarkets or the butcher, but they are more expensive. I think the trick is not to buy cheap ones and read the labels if they are packaged, or ask the butcher. There are a lot of people on here that eat these sausages who will help if you want to continue eating them. Personally I don't like sausages. You could try bacon next time - no carbs in that. You are right, it is a steep learning curve, but necessary.
If my husband and I sit for an hour over a meal, should I still test two hours after first mouthful when I still might have been eating for half that time?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If my husband and I sit for an hour over a meal, should I still test two hours after first mouthful when I still might have been eating for half that time?

Oh dear, that is a difficult one to answer! Yes, test 2 hours after you start, but I would omit a 1 hour test if you are doing those. We do this on a Saturday as it is the only day we have a starter. We have at least 10 minutes or longer between that and the main meal.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh dear, that is a difficult one to answer! Yes, test 2 hours after you start, but I would omit a 1 hour test if you are doing those. We do this on a Saturday as it is the only day we have a starter. We have at least 10 minutes or longer between that and the main meal.
Not sure if you can answer this one, but someone else might be able to jump in. My prediabetes was diagnosed after a blood test for my Polymyalgia. That test showed high ESR of 83mm/hr and Plasma C reactive protein of 19 mg/L, again high.

What I would like to know is can inflammation in the body raise BS and vice versa?

My doctor wanted to put me back on a high dose of steroids, reducing steadily. As, up until last June, I had been taking Prednisolone for 6.5 years with little consistent effect, I politely refused.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Lynn, I am not qualified to answer this one. I suggest you start a new thread about it so more people will see it.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry Lynn, I am not qualified to answer this one. I suggest you start a new thread about it so more people will see it.
Sorry if I'm being thick, but can't see how to start a new thread.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to go to the "Forums" page. Link is near the top on the left. Decide which forum you want to post in, go to that forum, then find the green button near the top on the right. Click on that, and away you go. It's only easy if you know how!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You need to go to the "Forums" page. Link is near the top on the left. Decide which forum you want to post in, go to that forum, then find the green button near the top on the right. Click on that, and away you go. It's only easy if you know how!
For the past few days I've felt a little light-headed during the day and am rather hungry between 3 and 4pm. Can you recommend any suitable snacks, please?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are still data gathering, you should eat whatever you usually might have before you knew about pre-diabetes.

If you are not still data gathering, do you understand which foods have been raising your bloods? It doesn't feel like you'll have much data to go on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test when you feel light headed? Are you eating a suitable ratio of carbs/fats/protein to give you a sensible amount of calories for your personal needs? If you are hungry between 3 and 4pm it could well be your lunches are not enough. It really is best not to snack as this could raise your levels before your next meal is due, but if you must, then nuts or cheese seem to be the favourites on this forum. Personally I've never eaten between meals so can't really advise.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are still data gathering, you should eat whatever you usually might have before you knew about pre-diabetes.

If you are not still data gathering, do you understand which foods have been raising your bloods? It doesn't feel like you'll have much data to go on.
Yes, I'm still testing before and after meals and testing has already thrown up some interesting results.

I would normally turn to a two-finger KitKat, but just can't bring myself to do that!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you test when you feel light headed? Are you eating a suitable ratio of carbs/fats/protein to give you a sensible amount of calories for your personal needs? If you are hungry between 3 and 4pm it could well be your lunches are not enough. It really is best not to snack as this could raise your levels before your next meal is due, but if you must, then nuts or cheese seem to be the favourites on this forum. Personally I've never eaten between meals so can't really advise.
Yes, I have tested and the results don't seem odd. I have avoided snacking for the very reason you say.

Today for lunch I had a double egg omelette with plenty of cheese - which is one of my normal lunches - and then an apple. My readings were 5.6 before and 5.6 two hours after. Does that tell you anything I can't work out?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That result is perfect, especially with an apple included, and your lunch should have been enough to satisfy yourself until tea time - providing you didn't eat it very early? If you feel hungry and don't want a snack as such, try an extra cup of tea/coffee or a glass of water. See if that helps. If you are feeling light headed, it could be lack of enough water.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That result is perfect, especially with an apple included, and your lunch should have been enough to satisfy yourself until tea time - providing you didn't eat it very early? If you feel hungry and don't want a snack as such, try an extra cup of tea/coffee or a glass of water. See if that helps. If you are feeling light headed, it could be lack of enough water.
I ate at exactly mid-day, so I will endeavour to eat a little later in future.

Off to make another cuppa! Thanks.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Whilst I hear what you say about Lynn's lunch, she has already said if she were hungry, she'd had a 2 finger KitKat, so she may be used to more.

@Lynn1 - I would urge you to eat as normal - including your KitKat. Your numbers look good, so far. If you start trimming, without properly exploring your usual diet, I fear you will end up imposing restrictions upon yourself which are unnecessary. You are only just into the pre-diabetes range, and relatively recently following major surgery, which can impact on the bloods. I fear seeing a sledgehammer and nut situation brewing.

@Patricia21 , @connie104 have recently had joint replacement surgery. It could be interesting for them to comment on how their bloods reacted around that time. I realise you are further advanced than they, in terms of time since surgery, but I do feel it is information you should consider.

Reactions: 2 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Whilst I hear what you say about Lynn's lunch, she has already said if she were hungry, she'd had a 2 finger KitKat, so she may be used to more.

@Lynn1 - I would urge you to eat as normal - including your KitKat. Your numbers look good, so far. If you start trimming, without properly exploring your usual diet, I fear you will end up imposing restrictions upon yourself which are unnecessary. You are only just into the pre-diabetes range, and relatively recently following major surgery, which can impact on the bloods. I fear seeing a sledgehammer and nut situation brewing.

@Patricia21 , @connie104 have recently had joint replacement surgery. It could be interesting for them to comment on how their bloods reacted around that time. I realise you are further advanced than they, in terms of time since surgery, but I do feel it is information you should consider.
I'd certainly be very interested to hear from the two ladies.

Did you see my question regarding what effect inflammation within the body affects BS and vice versa? I was referring to my Polymyalgia and Prednisolone.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd certainly be very interested to hear from the two ladies.

Did you see my question regarding what effect inflammation within the body affects BS and vice versa? I was referring to my Polymyalgia and Prednisolone.

Most of these questions, unfortunately, have the answer of "Maybe", "Possibly", or even "Probably". Even differing episodes can result in different scores. It's not clear-cut in my view.

In answer to your question though, there are really 2 questions - the inflammation and secondly prednisolone. Inflammation, I would say, "Maybe", but Prednisolone, I would say, "Quite commonly".

Again, there are many people on here who either are or have taken steroids, who report raised levels during their use of the medication. I can't immediately bring any to mind, at this moment. With inflammation, and it's treatment, you could also say there could be a chicken and egg loop argument going on.